• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2023-2024 Southern CA Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone thinking about the local bumps yet?

IKON seems to be dominating with the BB resorts and newly added Snow Valley.

Mt. High has an offering called the Cali Pass that gets some days at Sierra-at-Tahoe, along with Powder Alliance resorts. It's also part of the Indy Pass for 23-24.

TS
socalgal

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Revisiting your roots?

Yeah. We usually come back and visit every 2 to 3 years. Haven't been back since covid. Have a whole trip planned. I'm very excited. Flying into San Fran. Staying in pacifica for 2 days and having dinner with a friend who lives up that way. Visiting half moon bay, etc. Then down to scotts Valley to go to Henry Cowell state park. Then down to big sur for lunch at a cliffside restaurant. Staying likely in santa maria after that. Then probably making a stop in santa barbara for lunch. Then down to orange county for 3 days. Lunches and dinners planned with friends during this time. I've a host of restaurants i would like to visit. Meeting @skibum4ever for lunch. Then up to big bear with some friends for oktoberfest. Meeting @Pat AKA mustski and picking up a pair of skis from her. Down to LA on Sunday as we head back to Boston bright and early Monday am. Will be a fun 10 days.

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Crazy rain totals from Hilary today. This is a screenshot of 24 precipitation totals in the Inland Empire + Mountains.
Gorgonio & Jacinto with 9-10 inches of rain.
In the Baldy Area 3-5 inches of rain.
Where I live we just had gentle showers most of the day, but I've been watching lots of reports/videos of debris flows and flooding in and around the mountains.

Attachments

• 24 totals.png
    24 totals.png
    814.4 KB · Views: 10

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I'm all for this for all kinds of reasons. These two resorts are both plenty busy and need more acres. I can't tell from the article how challenging the new terrain would be and while I love the steeper stuff what they really need to do is get the beginners spread out better. Summit Run is bonkers when it's busy.

Also, they really need to improve the parking/shuttle situation.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow Jam San Diego has some free lift tickets available. Most of them are available virtually if you buy a membership for $24
Mt. Baldy: free mid week or 1/2 price weekend or holiday
Mt. High: 50 % off midweek
Brianhead: free lift ticket with holiday blackout dates
Lee Canyon: free lift ticket with holiday blackouts
Snowbowl: free lift ticket with holiday blackouts
There are also discounts promised for Dodge Mountain and China Peak

Snow Jam San Diego

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SoCal friends. I need to find decent quality used boots for my boys aged 15 and 13. I've gotten lucky at REI and up in Mammoth during the offseason the last few years but they both need something this year and..you know how it goes...they will grow through them in either 1 or seasons. The dearth of ski shops in San Diego is making this increasingly challenging to figure it out before the season starts. Any ideas or suggestions?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@locknload Yes, go to Snow Jam, this weekend, in Del Mar. They have very good deals on boots from previous season as well as used boots in some booths. I bought my son’s ski boots there every season . I didn’t do the fitting thing until he stopped growing g. He didn’t need it as he always fit pretty easily. Go here if you want to know the basics in fitting them.

Bootfitting

Take your phone and google the boots that interest you to see last size and flex

ETA. While you are there, you can score some free lift tickets!

Last edited:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@locknload Yes, go to Snow Jam, this weekend, in Del Mar. They have very good deals on boots from previous season as well as used boots in some booths. I bought my son’s ski boots there every season . I didn’t do the fitting thing until he stopped growing g. He didn’t need it as he always fit pretty easily. Go here if you want to know the basics in fitting them.

Bootfitting

Take your phone and google the boots that interest you to see last size and flex

ETA. While you are there, you can score some free lift tickets!
Ok...good feedback. I've been in the past but wasn't super impressed by what I saw, however, I wasn't look for the boys. If you say they have pretty good selection for past years boots, I'm sure I can find what they need. It's so close that it makes sense to go give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You’ve got nothing to lose. At minimum, you score some free Baldy Tickets and 1/2 price Mountain High vouchers. Your kids will love running booth to booth and getting free swag! My son loved it!
Reporting back...great recommendation! We had such a busy weekend and we couldn't get down there until Sunday. Still plenty of stuff left. We got him a nice pair of new Atomics from last year and were able to get ones that fit well enough with a bit of extra length for next year. Had a pretty knowledgeable guy help us. My son got lucky b/c he needed new skis too and I got a good deal on a set of Salomon Stance with bindings and we get them calibrated and set up right there. While this stuff is never cheap...overall I think we did well and he's all set to step on the snow very soon. Thx for the recommendation...it was worth the trip!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online