• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023-2024 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Woo-hoo. Full on winter is back! Went up to Ski Santa Fe around 2:00. Easy parking. Nuking snow. Horrible visibility but the snow was great! Only one car off the side of the road. :geek:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was really good up at Snowbowl today. One of the better days of the season. Winds never really materialized and it snowed off and on all day.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No gondola open today. That is almost criminal.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was really good up at Snowbowl today. One of the better days of the season. Winds never really materialized and it snowed off and on all day.
As a perfect example of Murphy's Law in action, I just had rotator cuff surgery and reattachment of the biceps tendon right before the latest storms to go through Snowbowl. Admittedly the injuries were caused by two falls last year on Upper Ridge which both occurred in approximately the same place and for approximately the same reason: there is a demon on Upper Ridge who pops out randomly when one has skied it 10 times already that day and whips one skis away from one – there is no other reasonable explanation as I was going along fine in both cases and suddenly found myself on the ground. In both cases I landed on my right shoulder which is the one that has been operated on. Regrettably, my skiing days are over for this year and I looked over at the San Francisco peaks on my way back from a doctor's visit yesterday to be extremely jealous of the new snowfall up there.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a perfect example of Murphy's Law in action, I just had rotator cuff surgery and reattachment of the biceps tendon right before the latest storms to go through Snowbowl. Admittedly the injuries were caused by two falls last year on Upper Ridge which both occurred in approximately the same place and for approximately the same reason: there is a demon on Upper Ridge who pops out randomly when one has skied it 10 times already that day and whips one skis away from one – there is no other reasonable explanation as I was going along fine in both cases and suddenly found myself on the ground. In both cases I landed on my right shoulder which is the one that has been operated on. Regrettably, my skiing days are over for this year and I looked over at the San Francisco peaks on my way back from a doctor's visit yesterday to be extremely jealous of the new snowfall up there.
That is a bummer! Hope it heals up fast.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last weekend of the season for Sunrise. Plenty of snow, but no customers. :(

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Falling on your right shoulder twice? Is this happening while you turn on your weaker side for turning? Most of us have a strong side vs. weaker side. Sometimes if I'm not on top of my skis without good forward pressure and proper angulation I'll spill over. I get lazy or preoccupied every now and then. First run of the year or the day I'd say it usually happens but I'd imagine end of the day fatigue could be similar.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Falling on your right shoulder twice? Is this happening while you turn on your weaker side for turning? Most of us have a strong side vs. weaker side. Sometimes if I'm not on top of my skis without good forward pressure and proper angulation I'll spill over. I get lazy or preoccupied every now and then. First run of the year or the day I'd say it usually happens but I'd imagine end of the day fatigue could be similar.
To be honest I hadn't thought of that – largely because I am sure that there must be a demon up there. However, I suppose end of day fatigue could indeed be part and parcel of the problem. By the way I strongly do not recommend this surgery – it really is quite unpleasant recovering from it, primarily because sleeping in a recliner for weeks on end gets old very quickly!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest I hadn't thought of that – largely because I am sure that there must be a demon up there. However, I suppose end of day fatigue could indeed be part and parcel of the problem. By the way I strongly do not recommend this surgery – it really is quite unpleasant recovering from it, primarily because sleeping in a recliner for weeks on end gets old very quickly!
I did it...twice. Yes, the recovery is no bueno and excruciatingly painful at times but the final result is worth it. I was losing sleep because every time I moved my arm it hurt like he'll and woke me up. That was the humerus slipping from the socket when relaxed. After surgery and the long recovery I have 100% motion and no pain.

The second one is starting to give me trouble but I don't know if I jacked up the cuff again somehow or if it's a nerve issue.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tore both shoulders up really good one season some 22 years ago. My god that was painful. I stopped doing the really big hucks after I recovered from that other than a short revisit in 06 while spending the season in Telluride. It took around six months for that pain to go away and I couldn’t sleep on my sides for almost that whole time. It wasn’t something I care to experience ever again.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, the recovery is no bueno and excruciatingly painful at times but the final result is worth it
Well thank goodness – if the final result is worth it then I suppose all this pain is just something I have to live through.
I tore both shoulders up really good one season some 22 years ago. My god that was painful. I stopped doing the really big hucks after I recovered from that other than a short revisit in 06 while spending the season in Telluride. It took around six months for that pain to go away and I couldn’t sleep on my sides for almost that whole time. It wasn’t something I care to experience ever again.
I didn't feel that I could like this post @raisingarizona given how nasty your experience was, but, indeed not "something I care to experience ever again."

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a sighting of @Pasha in the wild at Ski Santa Fe today. Looking dapper in his green pants. We kept missing each other, he on the trail, me on the lift and visa versa. Looked like spring, skied like winter. Stupid me, I forgot to put on sun lotion. When I realized that, I made a bee-line for the car and slathered Aloe once home. Ah well, yet more wrinkles!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a sighting of @Pasha in the wild at Ski Santa Fe today. Looking dapper in his green pants. We kept missing each other, he on the trail, me on the lift and visa versa. Looked like spring, skied like winter. Stupid me, I forgot to put on sun lotion. When I realized that, I made a bee-line for the car and slathered Aloe once home. Ah well, yet more wrinkles!
I'm headed up tomorrow. Will only be skiing easy as I get kind of tired and sore after breaking ribs. It was hard to see all that snow and not be able to go up. I did have a nuking snow day a few weeks ago, so there's that.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Presume that was Chili glade? Hopefully not as crispy underneath as the more open runs. If it was, I am glad I missed you! :geek:
Yes, Chiles Glades. My first time down that shoot. It was not crispy, just steep and narrow. The way my day was going, it wasn’t smart to go there. But all is well that ends well. Side slipping and side stepping are wonderful skills.
Chile Chutes, below Chile Glade. Red, Green, and Christmas - as named from skier’s right to left. I spent a certain amount of time in there a few autumns back clearing and glading in there.
And we thank you for that! So I got into the middle one, eh? I’d love to ski with someday… maybe next season?

Sponsor