• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2023-2024 Big Sky Resort/Conditions/Meetups

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Yesterdays crowd, yes a Monday, was the biggest I’ve seen in 60 days on the hill this year. Why S Co was closed baffles me especially after skiing it last week before another 8” fell over the weekend, staffing or lift issues ? The folks staying at the Montage must really like being shuttled to and from their accommodations.
Hid out in some newly opened glade trails most of the morning, lapping the empty T Wolf. With the exception of the occasional monster M Bike berms it was quite nice.
Glad to see patrol opening some tree runs, and some fresh snow, lord knows we needed it
Lots of vacationers in town. Sunday was insanely busy too. It seems like February is the busiest month every year with just mobs of people eating dirt/snow/rocks.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
We’re still needing a lot more snow. Coverage on upper morningstar and elk park isn’t great. Challenger is nearly a joke. Worst season ever so far. Doubt A-Zs even open this year.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flurries and more flurries are adding up quite nicely, skiing like a foot of fresh in spots and 3-6” in tonight’s forecast.

Skiing with @Talisman all morning and it felt like our own private Idaho and glad he suggested areas I don’t typically take on my daily tour.
Walk on tram yesterday and no doubt why, it was zero viz, I mean none but the snow felt nice. Today, tram had a 15-20 min wait, it’s nice that they are putting that eta on the board at the tram base.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to be getting better every day. Snowing off and on all week. 4” - 6” last night.
TV predicting up to 8” in mountain passes today and tomorrow with another storm Sunday.
Definitely trending up some on the Snotel... hope it continues for you all.

1708013464582.png

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like Northside 8 already has a new name … Madison 8.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks like Northside 8 already has a new name … Madison 8.

Sad. They struggle to name these things and wont add signs… Hence why the vacationers are lost everywhere.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sad. They struggle to name these things and wont add signs… Hence why the vacationers are lost everywhere.
I like the name better though - ties into base it comes out of.

they seem to have at least updated the trail
Ratings on signs. How hard can it be to update the lift directionals?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the name better though - ties into base it comes out of.

they seem to have at least updated the trail
Ratings on signs. How hard can it be to update the lift directionals?
I agree that Madison 8 coming out of Madison base ties together far better than say the Sacajawea trail and the lift also called Sacajawea. Interesting BS has the resources for signs for places not required like Picnic Knob (usually called Buddah Knob), Banana Land, White Fang Forest, Pixie Hut and the like but not great signage for navigating between lifts or even some trails marked on the trail map.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
I agree that Madison 8 coming out of Madison base ties together far better than say the Sacajawea trail and the lift also called Sacajawea. Interesting BS has the resources for signs for places not required like Picnic Knob (usually called Buddah Knob), Banana Land, White Fang Forest, Pixie Hut and the like but not great signage for navigating between lifts or even some trails marked on the trail map.
I met a guy lost on Big Horn the other day.... he was trying to find Silver Knife. Based on skiing ability they should've been on Mr K..... :eek:

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I met a guy lost on Big Horn the other day.... he was trying to find Silver Knife. Based on skiing ability they should've been on Mr K..... :eek:
Maybe signage isn’t the issue …

(though I assume he was trying to get to Silverknife via the Mad Wolf Cattrack and went right too soon)

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, yesterday didn’t suck ! Nice refresh and pockets of deeep !
The morning was real nice if you live here, a friend coming up from Bozangeles not so lucky with a 2 hr drive
#usethecaynonpulloffs - with 4 or more behind you, it’s the law tourons !

Sponsor