• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
What a season...truly remarkable season for Mammoth Mtn and one that will live in memory forever! I had some all-time days there and one of my best days in the last decade at high tide in March/April. I'll never forget how the houses were all swallowed up and it was like a cartoon from Dr Seuss or something. Feel luck to have been a part of it and just have grown to appreciate Mammoth as an iconic ski mtn in North America.
Our best day at Mammoth this season was after the early January storm. Ashley and I had booked a private lesson way in advance so there was no knowing that we'd have a private-skip-the-line-lesson on a day when the whole mountain opened after a massive storm.

It. was. the. best. powder. day. ever.

That being said, I have never felt so much hatred in the lift line :ogbiggrin: We got to be the first up Chair 15 and Chair 5. Also got to skip the massive line for Chair 22 and Gondola 2. Was one of the first few down the area to the left of cornice. The cornice was HUGE, major pucker factor dropping into that. All in all, we got about 25k vert of wonderfully soft powder. Best $$$ we have ever spent on a lesson!

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Truth be told that’s the line for the Gondi up to McCoy station a half hour before it opened.

The CF I predicted may not be as expected. glad I hit Tues & Wed instead of last day. No lines. Later photo of chair 23 line at 8:40 is a bit rough. But everyone likely had a good time !
The route down from 23 to Cornice became a CF.....bumpy entry and tight spaceing what could go wrong :D

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our best day at Mammoth this season was after the early January storm. Ashley and I had booked a private lesson way in advance so there was no knowing that we'd have a private-skip-the-line-lesson on a day when the whole mountain opened after a massive storm.

It. was. the. best. powder. day. ever.

That being said, I have never felt so much hatred in the lift line :ogbiggrin: We got to be the first up Chair 15 and Chair 5. Also got to skip the massive line for Chair 22 and Gondola 2. Was one of the first few down the area to the left of cornice. The cornice was HUGE, major pucker factor dropping into that. All in all, we got about 25k vert of wonderfully soft powder. Best $$$ we have ever spent on a lesson!

You guys totally deserved that kind of day. Stoked that you got it!
This video link you posted is pretty darn fun.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still recall catching the Gondi opening mid-day after it had been closed and the resort was closed the day before. Hit Climax with maybe 6 or 7 tracks on the face and nothing more.....thigh deep. Straight into Upper Dry Creek and NOBODY in there expect maybe one other guy because High Five wasn't open yet. All the the way down to the chair was like 100 bottomless turns of pure, light Sierra POW. Me and this other guy just looked at each other and screamed a primal scream of "HOLY Shit..did that just happen"....just insane. Some of the best untracked snow with nobody in there. The kind of run I will be thinking about until I have a better one. Amazing!

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
About the same as Los Angeles but the roads are a lot more likely to be closed in a storm. Tioga doesn't open until pretty darn close to Mammoth closing time.
Thankfully this has been a longer than usual season. Got to go skiing in the morning and then took a swim in tenaya (yosemite). Can't ask for a better experience than that

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
About the same as Los Angeles but the roads are a lot more likely to be closed in a storm. Tioga doesn't open until pretty darn close to Mammoth closing time.
No need for Tioga Pass to get to Mammoth from Sacramento. It’s also a bit shorter distance than from LA. This surprised me when I moved from Oakland to Davis. I had always thought of Mammoth as closer to SoCal, because when we would drive there from the Bay Area (through Yosemite, in summer), it took a long time! From Sac area it’s 50 to 89 and either continue on 89 to 395 (if Monitor Pass is open) or 88 to 395. Pretty easy drive unless in a storm cycle.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No need for Tioga Pass to get to Mammoth from Sacramento. It’s also a bit shorter distance than from LA. This surprised me when I moved from Oakland to Davis. I had always thought of Mammoth as closer to SoCal, because when we would drive there from the Bay Area (through Yosemite, in summer), it took a long time! From Sac area it’s 50 to 89 and either continue on 89 to 395 (if Monitor Pass is open) or 88 to 395. Pretty easy drive unless in a storm cycle.
Exactly! And it's not easy in a storm cycle no matter where you're coming from.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't ski Tahoe, mostly because I have to drive past Mammoth to get there. I presume the same applies to Sac, in reverse.
I mostly visit the Eastern Sierra in summer and fall, but have now added in spring skiing trips. After skiing mostly Palisade all season, it’s nice to get some variety. And Mammoth is a great mountain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online