• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Stöckli Laser AR

jrc22ski

Booting up
Skier
Ski friend just bought the AR's in a 182.

Curious about mount point - on the line/factory or go forward as most of us are doing with our Laser AX's.

He is 5'10" / 210 #'s with a BSL of 315 - strong advanced skier.

Appreciate any input.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ski friend just bought the AR's in a 182.

Curious about mount point - on the line/factory or go forward as most of us are doing with our Laser AX's.

He is 5'10" / 210 #'s with a BSL of 315 - strong advanced skier.

Appreciate any input.

For a multitude of reasons, I now mount with my boot midsole directly aligned over the narrowest point of the sidecut. Many times this will correspond to the factory mount point, but it needs to be verified. I no longer use more forward mounts since resolving my fore/aft stance alignment issues. For many years I believe I used more forward mounts as a compensation for incorrect fore/aft stance alignment. My AX's are mounted on the line, but my boots have a 3mm gas pedal... ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Bumping this thread because I have a new pair of the 2021 Laser AR skis in 175cm arriving tomorrow. So I'm debating what binding setup to stick on them.

I believe that every time I demo'd them, they had the adjustable Salomon Warden bindings. I'm more in the Tyrolia/Head/Fischer camp for bindings, so I'm thinking that the Tyrolia Attack would ski similarly, but I'm also wrestling with my old adage for Stockli skis, "If it's got 'Laser' in the name, then plate it". If I put plates on them, I would opt for a more racing-style binding.

Last season I mounted my Fischer Pro MT 86 and 95 skis flat, which broke a long trend I had where I was putting plates on everything 95mm and narrower. I actually really like those skis with bindings direct mounted, so that's why I'm leaning toward doing the same with the Laser AR. The "fly in the ointment" is that I put plates on my Fischer Curv GT skis and the 175cm Curv GT with the Curv Booster plates skis well.

So my first question, for those familiar with both Wardens and Attacks, are they pretty similar? My second question is for other Laser AR owners, what are your thoughts on the binding setup you have on your ARs?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe that every time I demo'd them, they had the adjustable Salomon Warden bindings.
[Phil]
And you loved the skis enough to launch a two year search and then buy them. So why change anything?
[/Phil]

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Anything under 80, I'd plate, but that's just me.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
AR probably does not need a plate. Attack works fine--for me they feel similar to a Warden, but I am weird, as I actually prefer the Salomon STH when mounting flat.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
AR probably does not need a plate. Attack works fine--for me they feel similar to a Warden, but I am weird, as I actually prefer the Salomon STH when mounting flat.
Me too.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Nice classic blue/white…….

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I decided not to plate the AR. Based on where it sits in the quiver and what I want out of it, the plate didn't make sense. I also wanted to be able to tweak the mount position while on-slope and adjust for conditions/terrain.

Sponsor