• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2020 Ford Explorer

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just released: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...rer-now-rear-drive-this-suv-aims-to-blend-in/

I could see this as my next ski car, when the XC60's warranty runs out in three and a half years.

Maybe even treat myself to the ST version?!

It tows 5,600 pounds, which didn't matter when I bought the Volvo 5 years ago, but sure does now.

IMG_6795-610x458.jpg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ford is supposed to reintroduce the Bronco in 2020. I’m surprised to see a new Explorer as well. I wonder how the Explorer and Bronco will compare/contrast?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A 4 door Bronco?

I think so.

The old Bronco was basically a modified F150, wouldnt be surprised if the new one is as well.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think so.

The old Bronco was basically a modified F150, wouldnt be surprised if the new one is as well.

I thought the new Bronco was to be more of a mid size suv that’s why the new Explorer caught me by surprise. I’ve read that the Bronco won’t be released until after the redesigned 2020 F150 though so you may be right.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Ford is supposed to reintroduce the Bronco in 2020. I’m surprised to see a new Explorer as well. I wonder how the Explorer and Bronco will compare/contrast?
The new bronco is going to based off the new ranger chassis. I was excited about the new bronco, still am but not as excited. My first thought was its going to like the old one, but heard its on the ranger chassis. Now I am thinking Bronco II

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice , it will have the same engine that is in my Lincoln MKZ. In order to get the 400 hp , it will require 93 octane. I am Livernois tune and have a estimate 460 hp at the crank. Its pretty quick mid 4 sec 0-60

I'm really stoked to see and drive one. It might be the unicorn that is at least kind of fun to drive AND will pull our two ~4,500 pound trailers.

Nice to see that it will come stock with the towing package.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The new bronco is going to based off the new ranger chassis. I was excited about the new bronco, still am but not as excited. My first thought was its going to like the old one, but heard its on the ranger chassis. Now I am thinking Bronco II

I dont get Ford. All they had to do was mod an F150 into a Bronco. :huh:

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I'm really stoked to see and drive one. It might be the unicorn that is at least kind of fun to drive AND will pull our two ~4,500 pound trailers.

Nice to see that it will come stock with the towing package.
Yeah it will. I am a bit of speed freak. Seeing this in the explorer , and hoping it brings more tuner options to the MKZ. Funny story though on how quick the 3.0 twin is. My son and I were at the wrc event at Cota in Austin a couple months ago. Leaving a Gallardo and a rs focus lined up on the clear and open exit road. My son said line up next to them. Needless to say the Focus RS was like what the hell as my Lincoln pulled away and the lambo slowly pulled from. The Lambo guy gave us a thumbs up. Also that was with more upgrades than the tune when that happened.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I dont get Ford. All they had to do was mod an F150 into a Bronco. :huh:
I know I been talking to my commercial ford sales rep about it and would have put a deposit on their first order when it opens. The concept that looks like the late 60's bronco had me giddy.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/14/ford-bronco-among-5-reveals-detroit-auto-show/

https://www.motor1.com/news/133270/new-ford-bronco-facts/

everest.jpg based off the Everest but sportier per this article

Both the Ranger and the Bronco will be produced at Ford’s plant in Wayne, Michigan, but Australia is where most of the engineering and development will reportedly take place, specifically at Ford’s Asia-Pacific Engineering Center in Victoria. The new Ranger was also developed down under, and considering the two will share a shortened version of the T6 platform, we expect the Bronco to have nearly all of the same capabilities – if not more.

They are maybe building a baby bronco too

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
The Bronco is exciting but the Explorer is a big deal. From the outside it looks like it's evolutionary but it's a real departure from the current generation. It's a shift to a RWD based platform making it more like previous generations than the current one. (The current Explorer is FWD and shares a lot with the Taurus, Edge, Flex and, if you want to back even further, the Taurus X, Freestyle and even some Volvo relatives.) There will be significant towing gains and probably some noticeable improvements to the drive. But it's going to lose some of the minivan-like interior packaging, including the 3rd row that folds back into a well. Ford promises that the interior will get more useful but I'm not sure...the current packaging is pretty useful for family hauling. In any case, I think it's an exciting entry. The only competitor with similar capability is the Durango and that's getting up there in age.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting occurrence today. I was out on a local road bike ride that included a climb up our at least somewhat famous Rowena Curves. Very scenic. Lots of car commercials shot here.

I squeaked through the bottom of the climb by a minute before the road was closing for 45 minutes (I was told).

At the top were a bunch of filming rigs, and a couple of new Explorers. I stopped and indicated some interest and knowledge, and the next thing I new, the guy handed me a set of keys and invited me to open it up and poke around for a few minutes. A quick look only, but the interior appeared beautiful (Platinum trim of course).

Along with the keys, I got a semi-kidding "and please don't drive off with the thing.....I really need to keep my job".

Fun stuff, but no ST available to check out!

Sponsor

Staff online