• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2020/2021 Poconos (and Greater Area) -- Conditions, Resorts, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took another half day of PTO to catch the powder at Elk this AM and again was not disappointed. Session #29 for me. We got 4"-5" as well, which really made for excellent conditions. Solid Friday AM crowd, but no waiting. Looks like I'll be pulling a triple play this weekend, with friends and family coming up both Saturday and Sunday.

@johnnyvw I have to say I am not quite as stoked on the Evolv90's as I thought I was going to be as well. I think I'm just hopelessly in love with the feel of my old, trusty Latigos :cool:

See you Sunday.....

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm sure as hell not a "young'un" lol... and I'm doing everything in my power to avoid even near contact with other people. That's one of the reasons, I've been skiing at Jack Frost. Load a ticket on the RFID card online, park right next to the snow, only into the lodge for potty breaks (not that you can stay inside anyway...) and leave when there start to be liftlines. I've been watching CBK webcams...I can't remember a day that I havent seen long lines, even mid-week

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
It was pretty packed again at Elk today. I got the 2nd chair at 8:30 and called it a day at 11, once the crowds started to really build up. Got 11 runs in all, not a terrible morning by any stretch- especially knowing I'll be back there tomorrow.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was pretty packed again at Elk today. I got the 2nd chair at 8:30 and called it a day at 11, once the crowds started to really build up. Got 11 runs in all, not a terrible morning by any stretch- especially knowing I'll be back there tomorrow.
Yeah that’s the nice thing about living close and have a season pass. Ski 3 hours top to bottom and get the hell out of there when the crowds show up. 3 hours of hard skiing is all I can take, 11 is cooking right along at Elk.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw a guy in a red FRS Antero today at Elk.....I thought I was the only one with a FRS shell here in NEPA....lol....was gonna say hi, but was COVID unsocial....sorry.

Was it any of you Pugs?

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Tuesdays have been the lucky day of the week recently - it's coming down nicely at Elk again today, after about 3-4" yesterday.
I did another pre-work session from 8:30 - 9:45 today, racked up a quick 7 laps.
What a season...

Enjoralas

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Poconos early bird pass announcements for next year are starting to come out.

Adult unrestricted prices:

Blue - $599
Camelback - $599 new, $529 renewal or Monroe Co resident
Montage - $399

Curious how much traffic it adds to the slips on the weekends at the “restricted sales” mountains. Probably insignificant compared to the late season drop off.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
A friend of mine and I decided to mix it up a little bit this weekend and hit Greek Peak in NY on Saturday. It's about an hour and 15min or so from Union Dale to there, so not a bad trip at all.
It's a very interesting mountain with a lot of "horizontal"- a ton of varied terrain across the four peaks. The snow wasn't the greatest, but we still had a really good time exploring. The glades had the best snow, actually. It was really fun exploring those- something you really can't do at Elk without a fear of getting busted/your ticket clipped, as a lot of us know. The Alsos Glade off of chair 5 and the Freebird Glades were a ton of fun.
It was an overcast day with a little bit of rain, which kept the crowds away. No waiting at all, really. That was a great change of pace! I have to say thanks to @Scrundy for all of the great intel on Greek.

Yesterday at Elk was a warm and soggy one, which definitely kept the crowds at bay. We did a quick session from about 10:30 - 1:00. The snow wasn't too terrible, but once the rain intensified it was time to hang it up.
155492451_10159218221132265_6710983118073616504_o.jpg
155573148_10159218221137265_6819992388397146584_o.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Elk this coming weekend for the U19 races. Looking at the forecast the racing surface should be firm.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be at Elk this coming weekend for the U19 races. Looking at the forecast the racing surface should be firm.
Ironic...while walking dog, was just talking to my neighbor/buddy (Elk race coach).....about the race this past weekend and the U19 race this coming weekend up at Elk...

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ironic...while walking dog, was just talking to my neighbor/buddy (Elk race coach).....about the race this past weekend and the U19 race this coming weekend up at Elk...

Yup. This weekend's event was supposed to be the the final weekend of the PA Cup. The pandemic caused the whole series to be canceled so now this is the only statewide race for U19s (though teams in western PA are opting out of attending).

It'll be nice to ski somewhere other than Liberty Mountain for a weekend. That said, I'm not likely to do any après at Chet's this season.

Reactions: BC.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI: PA travel restrictions have been lifted (not that they were for the most part adhered to anyway...)

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI: PA travel restrictions have been lifted (not that they were for the most part adhered to anyway...)

Neighboring states still have restrictions, though. Maryland, New Jersey, and New York are still in mandatory quarantine/test mode, as is the District of Columbia.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
First time at Blue this season. Parking lot was more crowded than I have ever seen before on a Wednesday. Considering what the lot looked like the lines weren't too bad. Just a few minutes typically.

Got up to the high 40's after noon, Bailed by 2:15 when snow was just too sticky.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what their COVID protocols are. Unless they've moved to all outdoor seating, I'll steer clear this year.

Yes, it's a bummer. I love Chet's Place.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Not sure what their COVID protocols are. Unless they've moved to all outdoor seating, I'll steer clear this year.

Yes, it's a bummer. I love Chet's Place.

I've been there a couple of times this season and they have been quite good about it. The tables are very well spaced apart, masking for all staff, and for patrons unless seated at the tables.
I think I am heading there for dinner tonight, actually.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
May see you up that way, then - if not tonight, then sometime this weekend. Look for the red Liberty Mountain Race Team Coach shell (or red Outdoor Research puffy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor