• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Looking for thoughts on length, 177 or 184. I'm 5'10, 200+ pound aggressive bomber...love to haul ass but also love carving both short and long turns. I'm carving 95% of the time if the snow/run allows. East coast based, few trips west. Am leaning toward the 177 but would be interested in your thoughts. Also curious about this ski vs the Vwerks version.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Looking for thoughts on length, 177 or 184. I'm 5'10, 200+ pound aggressive bomber...love to haul ass but also love carving both short and long turns. I'm carving 95% of the time if the snow/run allows. East coast based, few trips west. Am leaning toward the 177 but would be interested in your thoughts. Also curious about this ski vs the Vwerks version.

I think 177 cm will be fine. That's just about exactly your height, and the M5 Mantra is a relatively stable ski already, so I don't think you'd need to jump up in length to the 184 cm. Would you get a little more stability at speed? Sure, but I don't necessarily think that would be worth the tradeoff for heavier swing weight, less maneuverability, etc.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
I think 177 cm will be fine. That's just about exactly your height, and the M5 Mantra is a relatively stable ski already, so I don't think you'd need to jump up in length to the 184 cm. Would you get a little more stability at speed? Sure, but I don't necessarily think that would be worth the tradeoff for heavier swing weight, less maneuverability, etc.

Correct in that it's almost exactly how tall I am. My primary concern is with how much I weigh, I think I saw in your review one of the 200+ pounders were on the 177 and he liked it, but also some much, much lighter skiers also using the 177. Do you have any concerns or reservations about the 77 given my weight? Pretty much only thing I would gain from the 184 being stability at speed, and not like I could overpower the 177?

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Correct in that it's almost exactly how tall I am. My primary concern is with how much I weigh, I think I saw in your review one of the 200+ pounders were on the 177 and he liked it, but also some much, much lighter skiers also using the 177. Do you have any concerns or reservations about the 77 given my weight? Pretty much only thing I would gain from the 184 being stability at speed, and not like I could overpower the 177?

I don't expect you'll overpower the 177 cm. I totally understand your concern, but having seen a wide variety of skiers on the M5 in terms of different sizes, skill levels, etc, I think 177 cm will work well for you. If it was the type of ski that used more pronounced rocker, that might be reason to go a little longer, but the M5 has relatively long edge contact compared to other skis in this category, so I think you'll be good.

Sponsor

Staff online