• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

That's right! A whole new Mantra is here and it brings along some significant changes from the previous version. A brand new construction concept, a new shape, a bigger sweet spot and more approachable ski, but it still has that Mantra-like feel that has made it such a popular ski in the first place. Check out our thoughts and let us know what you think!

Last edited:

MWL

Booting up
Skier
Great first review as always guys! I skied the last generation Mantra as a demo at Jackson 3 years ago. It just felt too squirrely on cat track or any time trying to cross flats due to its full rocker I think. Once it was on edge it was fine, but I also found it too heavy and cumbersome in bumps I think due to its width and stiffness in the tips and tails, despite the quickness the rocker provided. Looking forward to trying this update.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Excellent review. You guys do the best gear reviews, full stop.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooooh...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Awesome review. This new Mantra sure looks like a perfect resort ski for out west.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking forward to the Cage Match comparison with the Bonafides!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great review. Will the new Mantra Jr have camber?

Reactions: MWL

Smiles

Booting up
Skier
Nice review. Thanks. Curious as to how you compare it to the Enforcer 100.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Could not help myself as now own my fifth Mantra. This one goes back to the roots. Had to stand tall to plow thru some thick man made.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
The all red one (2nd gen?) in 191 was one of my favorite skis ever. It skied long and charged at high speeds!
Ski has some backbone. Had them out on Outer Limits last Saturday afternoon when the mountain was a skied off ice cube. Bites and holds firm like a Mantra should. Had the choice between the 186 and 177. Went with the shorter size as the I felt the ski was so solid in that length. At 96 under foot this is my shortest skinniest ski.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haven't had a chance to demo mantra. How does it contrast with bondafide?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't had a chance to demo mantra. How does it contrast with bondafide?
They are completely different skis now. The Mantra has a level of playfulness and quickness that the Bonafide doesn't have and the Bone has a higher top end and crud bashing that the Mantra has given up.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, since I'm not used to wide skis and weigh 170 I would prefer something slightly quicker than the Bone, but I still have more fun on them than anything else I demo.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
@SkiEssentials since you have now tested the Volkl Mantra M5 and the Blizzard Rustler 9, how might you compare and contrast the two skis? On the surface they both appear to be targeted to the same type of skier. Your thoughts?

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
@SkiEssentials since you have now tested the Volkl Mantra M5 and the Blizzard Rustler 9, how might you compare and contrast the two skis? On the surface they both appear to be targeted to the same type of skier. Your thoughts?

I would say the Rustler 9 feels a little bit more playful. Softer tips and tails, both in the longitudinal and torsional sense. A little more early taper as well. Definitely feels more playful in soft snow, but on the other hand not quite as powerful as the M5 Mantra. Interesting to see the differences in construction with the Rustler 9 focusing the metal underfoot and the M5 Mantra with that top layer of horseshoe shaped metal that doesn't connect underfoot. Basically translates to more stability in the tips and tails on the M5 Mantra, in my opinion at least.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great review. Will the new Mantra Jr have camber?
I wouldn’t necessarily count on it. I have noticed over the years, that although the jr skis share the name and top sheet with the adult skis, they are often not at all the same type of ski. Often when the adult ski changed, the kids ski changes name and top sheet, but stays the same shape and construction.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
I wouldn’t necessarily count on it. I have noticed over the years, that although the jr skis share the name and top sheet with the adult skis, they are often not at all the same type of ski. Often when the adult ski changed, the kids ski changes name and top sheet, but stays the same shape and construction.

Yup, still no camber in the junior Mantra for 2019.

Sponsor