• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Oh, those Nelas were amazing! I so wanted to try the 96 but for ME, the snow conditions didn't warrant it. You won't by chance be at Beaver Mountain's demo in March, will you?

I love this! Those MXs are also amazing.

won't be at the beat, but I might be at Snowbasin on the 7th for the adaptive fundraiser. I'll let ya know.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
How do the Nela 88s compare to the Stormrider Motion 85W?

The sidecut is slightly longer. 15.0 @ 160 vs 14.4@161.

The Nela 88 has a slightly lighter new core. It is as light at 88 as it was at 85.

The tip has slightly more bend at the very end.

As good as the 85motion has been, the Nela88 seems like people are absolutely loving it with the responses I'm getting.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
If anyone ever has a hard time getting Stockli skis, please let me know. We have been able to get several orders completed with my dealers. I can verify inventory in Vermont and facilitate the process easily.

Thanks @Foss1997 for the awesome review. So glad you have such a great quiver. Party on.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Well I finally had a chance to move the SC bindings forward a bit and see how that changed things. Wow! The simple 1.5 cm shift forward from the line changed the SC from a good ski to an amazing one for me. The SC hooked up much faster with a stronger and more aggressive turn initiation; edge grip was even better and I could also bend the ski into near FIS SL turn shapes. On exiting turns, the SC had much more rebound energy and “pop”, rocketing me into the next turn, also much like a FIS SL. No issues in moguls and afternoon slush. The forward mount did seem to decrease the “sweet spot” a bit, it perhaps caused a bit more twitchiness at high speed, and also may have reduced the ability of the SC to imperturbably power through manky snow and hard ruts—but these where minor points which I gladly accepted in exchange for the increased power and precision.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ This. Haven't met a Laser yet that I didn't end up at least 1.5 cm forward from the line/mark.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well I finally had a chance to move the SC bindings forward a bit and see how that changed things. Wow! The simple 1.5 cm shift forward from the line changed the SC from a good ski to an amazing one for me. The SC hooked up much faster with a stronger and more aggressive turn initiation; edge grip was even better and I could also bend the ski into near FIS SL turn shapes. On exiting turns, the SC had much more rebound energy and “pop”, rocketing me into the next turn, also much like a FIS SL. No issues in moguls and afternoon slush. The forward mount did seem to decrease the “sweet spot” a bit, it perhaps caused a bit more twitchiness at high speed, and also may have reduced the ability of the SC to imperturbably power through manky snow and hard ruts—but these where minor points which I gladly accepted in exchange for the increased power and precision.

You should also test moving it back to the factory line and using a temporary shim under your toes (gas pedal). You might be surprised by what actually is going on in your stance alignment... :)

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
Anyone know the sizes of the 2021 WRT STs? Does it jump from 172 to 180? Seems like an equivalent to the X9s from Atomic. 180+ is just a bit too much for me on a stiff race ski - feel a bit out of control at times on black runs like the skis are just trying their best to run away from me and kick me off being 179cm tall myself. Also a bit much for the moguls I frequently end up skiing. The impression I got from the X9s is that they really don't like the variable piste terrain you find yourself in everyday - they cut through fresh piste, ice and hard pack like butter with fierce edge grip though. I sort of expect the WRT to be the same due to the width underfoot. They also are not really happy unless they're turning.

Really like the graphics on the 2021 WRT but much prefered the AX and SX from this year. Are the GS, SC, SL and AR unchanged in the graphics and construction?

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
The plate makes it easier to turn in my opinion. The added height off the snow makes for more edge angle with less leg tipping. The higher edge angle the more you turn (assuming a carved turn.)

After skiing my SC's with Attack 13 bindings for 3 years then putting Piston plates and Comp 16 bindings on them and I feel like I wasted 3 years of my life. The ski is so much better with the race plate, and nothing was lost. I can still smear or skid, or pivot the skis (just keep them flat) but when I edge them they respond!

Is it easy to add plates to your ski at a later stage if you decide you want them? Conversely is it just as easy to remove them after putting them on? Is redrilling involved in both leading to unnecessary holes in the skis?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The plate is screwed to the ski, so yes additional drilling. The bindings are then screwed to the plate.
You can add a plate at any time and with some exceptions remove them.
The bindings have to match the plate, so for example a Marker Piston plate requires Marker race bindings.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
All 20/21 WRT-ST comes predrilled with the D20 hole pattern and new race WRT D20 race plate or SRT D20 plate.
You can choose 16FF, 12FF, or 12 SRT binding.
The size run is 162,172,180.

vilu

Booting up
Skier
All 20/21 WRT-ST comes predrilled with the D20 hole pattern and new race WRT D20 race plate or SRT D20 plate.
You can choose 16FF, 12FF, or 12 SRT binding.
The size run is 162,172,180.
Hi Lindsay
Did you test WRT ST 172 with SRT plate and binding? If yes, is there a huge difference to original setup? And how does it compare to Laser SL (non FIS) with SRT 12?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I have tested the WRT ST 172 with SRT binder. It is much easier and playful, not as much energy without the WRT plate and race binding. To me there is a huge difference between the 2 bindings, I'm not sure everyone would feel that way, but I notice it. The precision with the Full WRT race setup is unreal.

The Laser SLw/SRT12 is tighter as expected and even more playful, but not as powerful. It is also better in moguls.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone tell me how the Stormrider 95s ski compared to the 85W? I'm not adverse to unisex skis - in fact, I am looking at a replacement for my Volkl 90eights. I demoed the 85W in a 161 in a variety of terrain at Taos and loved them. However, my hubby skis the 95s and loves them. I am considering the 95 in the 154 length. I would like to go shorter for bumps and trees. I can't find a demo in that length anywhere.

ETA: I normally ski lengths from 157-169 (powder) depending on the ski.
My stats: 5'2" 125 lbs advanced intermediate skier

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can anyone tell me how the Stormrider 95s ski compared to the 85W? I'm not adverse to unisex skis - in fact, I am looking at a replacement for my Volkl 90eights. I demoed the 85W in a 161 in a variety of terrain at Taos and loved them. However, my hubby skis the 95s and loves them. I am considering the 95 in the 154 length. I would like to go shorter for bumps and trees. I can't find a demo in that length anywhere.

My wife loves her SR 95’s in 166

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

ETA: I normally ski lengths from 157-169 (powder) depending on the ski.
My stats: 5'2" 125 lbs advanced intermediate skier

Stick with the Motion 85W as your daily driver.
You and Mamie are the same size. Mamie uses couple pairs of 85W as her DD. Her powder ski is a pair of SR95 (157). She will take the SR95 out if there is more than 6" fresh. Her comment was the SR95 requires much more effort in the bumps. More stress on the knees also.

Don't forget the size differential between you and Bob. A 95 on him is more like a 78 on you. A 95 on you is more like a 110 on him.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
166 is the shortest length for the Stormrider 95, according to Stockli website

Sponsor

Staff online