• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
246x0w.jpg

Z77.png
Renoun Z-77
Dimensions: 123-77-111
Radius: 15m@174cm
Sizes: 157, 165, 174, 180
Design: Carryover

Ron (from last year): On the groomed, it didn't take long to figure this ski out, although it was just fine skiing some slow ride-the-arc turns, it loves speed and even at the shorter length, it didn't get nervous (I was skiing blues groomers so I can't say I was doing 50). Once you got it up to a decent pace, it was very consistent, rolling ankles to knees on edge, back to neutral and over to the next edge was easy, although once the tip engaged, it pulled you through; Predictable came to mind. I liked how predictable it was and I had great control modulating the radius, It took skier input very well. I played around a bit with turn shape and speed of turns. on short-radius turns, the tip engagement was definitely there and it pulled you into some fun Gs, but it didn't get stuck in the turn and it was easy to get them back flat. In mid-radius turns, you could really load it up and ride the edge -- that was a lot of fun! It will pop you out of the turn but it's not like a hyper-puppy. Again, I go back to smooth, consistent, predictable, and controllable. The tail is fairly stiff but I can't say I ever got bucked. Then again, I'm not a tail skier so...

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.44.08 AM.png
Renoun Z-90
Dimensions: 136-90-124
Radius: 15m@174cm
Sizes: 157, 165, 174, 180
Design: Carryover

Tricia (165): I kept hearing how amazing the Renoun Skis were, but there wasn't a good size and flex for me so I had to wait nearly a year to get on them. Fortunately, the Z-90 arrived in a 165 length. It is a gorgeous ski. The white and gold limited edition graphics are classic and rich-looking; the build quality lives up to its appearance.This really is a premium ski in every way.

I skied the Z-90 Limited for a full day at Northstar before heading into work. I skied sweet corduroy first thing in the morning, then got into some bumps, and later dealt with scraped-off icy stuff. The one thing that stood out was that the more I put into them, the more they gave back.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a premium ski with a smooth feel.
  • Who is it not for? The budget conscious.
  • Insider tip: Trust the skis, they won't let you down.

Andy Mink (174): This ski gave me my "OMG, I am SOOO glad I got back into skiing" moment. I got on a pair of these during the 2016-17 season and it was like the intermediate light bulb exploded in my head! These are truly game-changers for an advanced intermediate. It is like cheating. They are infinitely smooth but not dead or heavy; light and easy to turn but not nervous; carve like a fillet knife but smear like a butter knife. They make the day, and life in general, better. They are at home on the groomers, bumps, trees, and medium deep powder. The wide tips initiate turns easily while the slight rise enables the tails to slide through bumps and crud. The HDT (Hyper Damping Technology) keeps everything happening almost silently. Cyrus Schenk hit the nail on the head, IMHO, with these skis.

The 174 and 180 lengths will give most stronger, heavier skiers the best ride. The shorter lengths, especially the 157, may still be a bit strong for lighter skiers. They are a bit stiff over a very short length. But, for a bigger, stronger person, the 157s are an absolute blast on groomers! These skis are not inexpensive, but if you're looking at the likes of Kästle or Stöckli, Renoun should be on your short list, too.
  • Who is it for? The advanced intermediate to expert skier who wants a phenomenal ride and has the money to back it up.
  • Who is it not for? Um, let me think, no, can't think of anyone who shouldn't at least give these a try.
  • Intermediate tip: If you have the opportunity to get one ski that will up your game, this may be it.
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 10.35.45 AM.png
Renoun Endurance 98 V3.0
Dimensions: 127-98-121
Radius: 18m@178cm
Sizes: 160, 169, 178, 184, 191
Design: All New

Philpug: Where the earlier Endurance 98 released easily out of a turn and had to be held on firmer snow, V3.0 holds much better on hard snow and windpack; with the tail following the tip smoothly, it can be released at will and do what the previous versions could yet not be as susceptible to wheelieing out of a turn. The Endurance 98 V3.0 could be that Western one-ski quiver that many believe the Z-90 is for the East.

What about HDT? Like any technology, the more transparent it is, the better it is doing its job. Yes, due to Renoun’s Hyper Damping Technology, the Endurance 98 V3.0 is one of the smoothest skis in the category. See the full review HERE.
  • Who is it for? Chargers (this ski will run); those who want a 98-ish one-ski quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Like most premium boutique skis, the price of entry is high.
  • Other skis in class: DPS Alchemist Cassiar 94, Kästle FX95 HP, Kästle MX99, Stöckli Stormrider 97.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.44.43 AM.png
Renoun Citadel 106
Dimensions: 136-106-125
Radius: 19m
Sizes: 169, 178, 185, 191
Design: All New

Philpug: The Citadel 106 is the ski that Cyrus has wanted to build since the moment he decided that he wanted to build skis. I will stop the accolades before I mutter the words that the Citadel is the compilation of a lifelong endeavor or the pinnacle of Cyrus's work...because no one in their mid-20s has completed a lifelong endeavor. The Citadel is Cyrus's technological tour de force, it has the basis of an aspen core, Titanal in key structural areas on the ski, carbon integrated and double the HDT than any of Renoun's other models. This sounds cool and all, but what does it all mean -- or do?

Light and damp is one of the toughest balances to achieve in ski design, but with Renoun's HDT it is much more achievable. The Citadel has everything you would expect from a ski with its price tag: it feels light but doesn't ski light, it is stable yet nimble. In mixed conditions where most other carbon-based skis get jostled around, the HDT keeps the Citadel calm on the snow and completely connected without the nervousness that carbon can have or neutered like an overly damp slug. Here is the announcement and long-term discussion of the Citadel.
  • Who is it for? Those with deep pockets. These are not cheap but they are well worth it.
  • Who is it not for? Lesser skiers could get taken for a ride; you need to bring your A-game.
  • Insider tip: Play with mount points, it is definitely back from where the mark says.

Sponsor

Staff online