• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blizzard Logo.png

19 Firebird Comp TC.png
Blizzard Firebird Competition
Dimensions: 121.5-70-104
Radius: 14.5m@172cm
Sizes: 154, 160, 166, 172, 178
Size tested: 172
Design: All New

Drahtguy Kevin: A quick hookup and exponential energy from turn to turn make this ski an exciting and rewarding ride. Power and precision are attributes skilled riders will enjoy for turns to come. The Comp is not as demanding as the SRC, which is expected with the slightly larger turn radius.
  • Who is it for? Technical aficionados will do well with this ski.
  • Who is it not for? Heel pushers need not apply. These skis live to be on edge
  • Insider tip: Go for an aggressive tune to make the most of these skis.
Philpug: Wow. Lots o’ turns in little time. This is a lot of ski in a little package and needs a dedicated commander. Outstanding turn initiation gets these scalpels zipping across the fall line at warp speed.
  • Who is it for? Slalom enthusiasts have a new friend.
  • Who is it not for? The faint of heart. These skis are fast and edgy.
  • Insider tip: Pay attention as to not get left behind.

19 Firebird Race Ti TC.png
Blizzard Firebird Race Ti
Dimensions: 121-70-104
Radius: 14.5m@172
Sizes: 148, 154, 160, 166, 172, 178

Philpug (172): You are getting a ton of performance with the Race Ti -- even compared to its more expensive brother, the Comp. Blizzard just makes good technical skis. Period.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a technical ski but doesn’t want to break the bank.
  • Who is it not for? The person who has more dollars than cents. Sure, spend the extra bucks if you must.
  • Insider tip: If you are a layman and want a carving ski, buy this and spend the extra money on a super tune.

Tricia
(166): By now you’ve heard that Blizzard has brought back the Firebird name. What I’m about to tell you is how surprised I was that I had so much fun on this ski. I took it for two runs and even went high to hit some moguls in Hallelujah Bowl, which was tons of fun. The Race Ti is the friendliest version in the Firebird lineup, which is perfect for an advanced skier who may be a little smaller and still wants the precise turn shape and race ski feel without being punished for being light.
  • Who is it for? A recreational skier looking for a race ski feel.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like to carve.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something more stout, look at the Firebird SRC or WRC.

19 FIREBIRD SRC.png
Blizzard Firebird SRC
Dimensions: 121-68-105
Radius: 12.5m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 160, 165, 170
Size tested: 165

UGASkiDawg: The Firebird SRC seems to initiate turns before you even think about it. This rewarding ski is precise and sneers at hard snow and ice. My racer kids would love it if they weren’t on race skis, but it's not a ski I would spend that much time on. It would be a beast off piste.
  • Who is it for? People who like to carve, and who carve very fast indeed.
  • Who is it not for? The lazy skier.
  • Insider tip: Start the turn and drive it to completion -- which will be very soon -- and then do it all over again.

19 BUSHWACKER.png
Blizzard Bushwacker
Dimensions: 127-88-111
Radius: 17m@180cm
Sizes: 166, 173, 180, 188
Size tested: 180
Design: Carryover/NGT

Philpug (from last year): Welcome back, Bushwacker. For those who remember, this nonmetal version of the Brahma actually predated the Brahma, but it was removed from the line a few years ago because the Brahma was outselling it and shops were not stocking both. It was a shame because dropping the Bushwacker left a big hole in the line, and skiers who weren’t big or strong enough for the Brahma had to go elsewhere. Not only is the Bushwacker back in spirit, it is back with an all new shape as the Brahma Ca.
  • Who is it for? Good skiers on the finesse side of the scale.
  • Who is it not for? Ego-driven skiers who must have metal.
  • Insider tip: Even without metal, this is no compromise. In fact, more skiers should consider this over the regular one.

UGASkiDawg (from last year): I’ve had a love/hate relationship with the Blizzard Flipcore skis since the original generation. I couldn’t stand the Bonafide: no matter what, I couldn’t make it behave in a civilized fashion. I couldn’t understand why people liked it. I demoed the regular Brahma for a couple runs last year and thought it was much better than the Bonafide but still couldn't understand why anyone would choose it over, say, the Head Monster 88, which I felt was better in every condition (especially when sized down for my finesse style). The new Brahma Ca is better for me, but I still find something off-putting about the way it skis. I could buy it and learn to like it, as I have with many skis over the years, but I still don’t get this series.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a playful main course with a side of serious off-piste-oriented all-mountain ski, especially if you’ve liked previous Flipcore skis.
  • Who is it not for? Me.
  • Insider tip: You won’t have to worry about me wanting your skis.

19 BRAHMA.png
Blizzard Brahma
Dimensions: 127-88-111
Design: Carryover

Drahtguy Kevin (from last year): The Brahma boasts new construction with a reduced turn radius for this year. It is an easy-skiing, narrower all-mountain ski that excels off piste without sacrificing on-piste performance. The new tip makes this ski more user-friendly in all conditions, and the tighter radius boosts the fun factor. Intermediates to experts will find joy in their time on the Brahma.
  • Who is it for? Basically anyone wanting a reliable and predictable whip.
  • Who is it not for? Hosers.
  • Insider tip: An easy-skiing ski is even easier.
Philpug (from last year): Now for the metal version: yes, the regular Brahma has metal, which makes it a bit stronger and damper in some conditions and gives it a higher speed limit. I really like the new generation of these skis (including the new Bonafide). If your older Brahma is getting tired, here you go.
  • Who is it for? Stronger skiers who are fine with a smaller sweet spot.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers.
  • Insider tip: Yes, it is a better Brahma.

Ron (from last year): If you were like me and wondered what exactly was the Brahma, well, Blizzard has solved the riddle. The new metal version has a purpose! Stronger and damper, the Brahma is a blast on the groomed; it is still easy to ski, though, and has a good feel on the snow. The entire ski engages and releases as needed. As a midfat, this ski can be drifted as well. I was skiing behind @DoryBreaux when he demoed the Brahma, and after launching off a roller he had perma-grin.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers are going to enjoy this ski for sure; those who have put too many days on their old pairs.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers will find it a bit much.
  • Insider tip: The 180 is plenty of ski even with the tip and tail rocker.

19 Bonafide TC.png
Blizzard Bonafide
Dimensions: 135-98-119
Radius: 18m@180cm

Drahtguy Kevin (from last year): A new tip and tighter radius make this perennial powerhouse better for more skiers. The carbon tip leads the ski confidently into the turn, and the same reliable grip is present. The new Bone isn’t as hard-charging and driving, which makes it less demanding than previous model. It still flows nicely from turn to turn with pop without as much punishment for missteps on the rider’s part. The asymmetric top sheet is a nice change.
  • Who is it for? All-mountain skiers who like some speed.
  • Who is it not for? The timid. Even though it's toned down, it still goes.
  • Insider tip: The new Bone is worth another look.

FairToMiddlin (from last year): The first-generation Bonafide, and Blizz’s Flipcore line, was created with the late Arne Backstrom’s input to be a strong off-piste bruiser. The second generation was more of the same, with a carbon tip that supplied the same power and even more bite at the beginning of the turn. For next year, the 3rd-gen Bone gets a healthy dose of accessibility, to the delight of many and the disappointment of some.

The turn radius gets tightened from 20 m down to 18. It was hard to tell, though, because the tip has been softened, and doesn’t pull into the new turn as aggressively as the old one. On snow, it didn’t feel as connected, just a bit less communication than the previous two generations. In return, it is a bit quicker to maneuver in general, and pivot in particular. This will be desired by a lot of folks, but some of the original demographic may end up haunting Craigslist and eBay for a minty 2nd gen in the years to come. For the most part, however, the Bone remains a competent 98mm off-piste weapon, a great choice for crud and pow -- especially if you are traveling and don’t have the luxury of a big quiver to choose from.
  • Who is it for? Folks that felt the Bonafide was just a bit too much for them. Rejoice, accessibility has reached this venerable legend.
  • Who is it not for? Chargers who detest any hint of a lightweight feel in their lift-served skiing.
  • Insider tip: With this incoming generation, the Bonafide is at a fork in the road; if you like the path it is currently on, start stocking up; next year brings a new direction.

Philpug (from last year): More than a thumbnail, read my Long-Term Review here.
  • Who is it for? Chargers: while it might not be as demanding as the outgoing model, it still wants to run.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter finesse skiers.
  • Insider tip: If you felt the old Bonafide was too much, give this one a whirl, you might be surprised.

19 COCHISE.png
Blizzard Cochise
Dimensions: 136-108-122
Radius: 27m@185cm
Sizes: 171, 178, 185, 192
Size tested: 185

Philpug (from last year): The Cochise was the first of the Flipcore skis to evolve two seasons back with a new shape and the addition of camber and some taper at the extremities. All of these evolutions made the Cochise a much more versatile ski than the original. Graphically the ski looks much better ... but if you can see the graphics, you are not skiing it in the right conditions: the Cochise still likes to be in the snow rather than on it.
  • Who is it for? Bigger skiers who like to charge.
  • Who is it not for? Finesse skiers might size down.
  • Insider tip: Blizzard didn’t fix what wasn't broken.

19 Rustler 9 TC.png
Blizzard Rustler 9
Dimensions: 127.5-94-117
Sizes: 164, 172, 180, 188

Philpug: When is less of a good thing, more? When Blizzard brings the very good Rustler shape down into the low-90mm range. With the longer wheelbase (contact length), the Rustler 9 has a much more connected feel than the Regulator it replaced. I think this is a really good 9/10 ski and probably a better option for someone whose 6'2" 220lb buddy thinks that everyone should be on a Bonafide. The Rustler 9 has a playfulness that we haven't seen from Blizzard in a long while.
  • Who is it for? Easterners looking for a playful one-ski quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger skiers can overpower it, but that's why Blizzard offers options like the Brahma, Bonafide, and wider Rustler 10.
  • Insider tip: Blizzard is starting scale its sizing; good for them ... and for us, as skiers.
dean_spirito: New to the Rustler lineup for 2019 is the slightly narrower Rustler 9. Blizzard gave it a progressive waist width, which means the waist of the ski will vary depending upon the length; this ensures that the feel of the ski remains consistent, no matter what size you happen to be on. The Rustler 9 is light and nimble yet extremely stable at speed. As compared to its big brother the Rustler 10, the Rustler 9 is 8 mm narrower and has considerably less rocker in the tip and tail. It skis slightly longer and feels more oriented toward firm snow conditions. It has a distinct Blizzard feel and really comes to life at speed. One of the highlights of the day was skiing through chalky bumps in one of Copper’s upper bowls.
  • Who is it for? Advanced to expert skiers looking for a versatile all-mountain ski with a lot of backbone.
  • Who is it not for? Those looking for a jibby all-mountain ski. Some have described this ski as playful, but I would argue that “playful” is a relative term.
  • Insider tip: If you like the feel of a stiff frontside ski but are looking to widen your quiver, take a close look at the Rustler 9.

19 Rustler 10 TC.png
Blizzard Rustler 10
Dimensions: 133-102-112.5
Radius: 17.5m@180cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180, 188

19 RUSTLER 11.png
Blizzard Rustler 11
Dimensions: 142-114-132
Radius: 17.5m@172cm
Sizes: 172, 180, 188, 192

Philpug (from last year): Goodbye Peacemaker and Gunsmoke -- sorry, but you will not be missed, the new Rustler 10 and 11 will see to that. I could see the pride in Blizzard’s product manager when he talks about the effort and time put into this new collection of skis; when we talked about the older Peacemaker, he had trouble making eye contact and was willing to talk about any other ski. He now takes as much pride in talking about the Rustler 10 and 11 as he does the freeride skis like the Bonafide and Brahma. The difference in this new collection is that the whole ski works and works well in every condition and terrain that you would expect it to. Keeping with the cowboy theme: not to beat a dead horse, but Jed, a Rustler 9 for 18-19 would be a great addition.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who want to let their inner kid out and rip.
  • Who is it not for? Ice mavens; perhaps bigger skiers could overpower it, but don’t quote me on that.
  • Insider tip: Get to the shop early, these will be sold out by Christmas.

SBrown (from last year): Wow. I was so comfortable on this right from the get-go, it reminded a little bit of my first demos of the Flipcores five or six years ago. Blizzard has metal in this ski, but it tapers and disappears as it approaches the tip (and tail?). I only took it in bumps and groomers, because we had no new snow, but it was highly capable in both. I was really surprised at how well it railroad tracked. (I don’t need a new ski. I don’t need a new ski. I don’t need …. )
  • Who is it for? You like a wider ski but still have to deal with moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Although it was a hoot on groomers, it’s not really a groomer-only stick.
  • Insider tip: Brother of Sheeva, which has just a bit less metal.

Women

19 ALIGHT 8.2 Ti.png
Blizzard Alight 8.2 Ti
Dimensions: 126-82-108
Radius: 13m@162cm
Sizes: 144, 150, 156, 162, 168
Size tested: 156

Tricia: This is the second year of the Alight series from Blizzard, which has added a versatile 82mm ski to the line. Like many skis in this category, the 8.2 Ti is easy to turn, nimble enough to ski moguls, bust through crud when the corduroy is tracked out, and hold an edge when conditions are firm, all while giving you that energetic feel you’ve grown to expect from Blizzard.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a versatile all-mountain ski with an on-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? A woman looking for a precise carver.
  • Insider tip: If you’re looking for something a little more stout, try the Alight 8.0 Ti.

19 BLACK PEARL 78.png
Blizzard Black Pearl 78
Dimensions: 115-78-100
Radius: 16m@163cm
Sizes: 151, 156, 163, 170
Size tested: 163

AmyPJ (from last year): So, unlike the big sister Black Pearl 88 that blew me away, the 78 did not. Maybe I’d prefer it longer, I’m not sure, but it felt squirrelly and did not give me confidence. I didn’t make many other notes, as I just wanted to get back down to the bottom to get on something else. Tricia hopped on this pair after me just to make sure it was not a tune issue, and it wasn’t.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a sub-80mm ski for trees and moguls.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who craves stability.

Tricia
(from last year): The narrower sister to the Black Pearl 88 is the Black Pearl 78. This is a ski that is not to be trifled with. While it is the skinnier, sassier sister, it's got plenty of punch to carve the groomers and enough pop to play in the moguls and toy with the trees. This is really one of the most playful skinny skis I’ve been on.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a playful carving ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who likes a wider platform.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to go up a size.

19 Black Pearl 88 TC.png
Blizzard Black Pearl 88
Dimensions: 126-88-110
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173
Size tested: 166

AmyPJ (from last year): Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The Black Pearl 88 became the benchmark ski that I ended up taking out three times to feel it out in all conditions. On the first day, I knew would be the last run of the day, as I was tired and really didn’t want to get out for another run anyway. I decided to take out a ski I had loved a few years ago when I was just moving up as an intermediate skier but felt I had “outgrown” the length. This ski has been completely redesigned for 2018, and what an improvement! Compliant and playful, it didn’t care if I got in the backseat, didn’t care what was under it; it just did what I told it to, and did it well. It easily transitioned through a huge variety of turn shapes without missing a beat. It felt much smoother and damper than the old version, and the tip shape lends to much easier turn initiation that, once locked in, holds even on hard pack and marbles. Extremely confidence-inspiring! I am getting a pair ASAP! Giggle, giggle, giggle! I loved them!
  • Who is it for? ME ME ME ME ME! Someone who wants a playful, easy-to-turn, compliant ski that has the chops to carry an advanced/expert skier and will get an intermediate to that level.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t like to ski.

Tricia
(from last year): Blizzard has put grins on the faces of thousands of women with the Black Pearl since 2011 without making changes until it added carbon in 2017. This year they changed the shape slightly to give the Black Pearl 88 a slight edge and quicker turn shape. The good news is, they made a great ski better. The better news is, the people who like the original Black Pearl will find some of the familiarity but with more fun. Where I liked it better was in the moguls and trees, where the quicker turn shape gave me an extra little kick in the pants.
  • Who is it for? Advanced or intermediate skiers looking for a ski that will take on the whole mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who is looking for the lodge.
  • Insider tip: Trust this ski.

Blizzard Black Pearl 98
Dimensions: 135-98-119
Radius: 15m@166cm
Sizes: 152, 159, 166, 173

AmyPJ (159): I’d been wanting to get out on these since last season. I’m so glad I did! They truly do feel like their little sister, the Black Pearl 88, in a wider, more stable platform. They are much more playful than their predecessor, the Samba (which I owned.) I could own these skis as my “powder day leftovers” ski (read: almost any powder day in Utah, where the freshies get tracked out in a hurry.)
  • Who is it for? An all-mountain ripper who skis off-piste more than on who likes a playful ski, who wants a bit wider platform than 88 underfoot.
  • Who is it not for? I am not sure; I think this ski is accessible to a wide variety of skiers.

Tricia (from last year, 166): While Blizzard was working on the changes in the original Black Pearl, it followed through the entire Freeride lineup and renamed the skis by their width. The Black Pearl 98 takes the place of the Samba; a new shape and a bit of carbon add a little pop and a quicker turn shape makes a fun ski even better. I’ve had a few days on the Black Pearl 98 in a mix of groomers and soft fresh snow. Taking on the glades and moguls with this new friend put a smile on my face that didn’t go away. This ski promises to be my “do everything” ski.
  • Who is it for? An advanced skier looking for a wider daily driver.
  • Who is it not for? Groomer girls.
  • Insider tip: Prepare to smile.

19 Sheeva 9 TC.png
Blizzard Sheeva 9
Dimensions: 124-92-114
Radius: 14m@164cm
Sizes: 148, 156, 164, 172
Size tested: 164

AmyPJ: At 92 mm underfoot, the Sheeva 9 is very similar to the 102mm Sheeva 10 (which I own): playful, easy to turn, easy to ski. I skied it on two separate days and loved it both times. Just a really fun, friendly ski that can handle a wide range of conditions. I could easily make this ski my go-to for a “normal” Utah winter, when we have fresh snow regularly. They do ski short, which puts them in an odd place lengthwise for me, with the 172 being too much ski, and the 164 leaving me wanting another couple centimeters. These things do rip the groomers, just like their big sisters.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a narrower all-mountain ski that can tackle powder with greater ease than a Black Pearl and that also has some metal in it for dampening.
  • Who is it not for? A lower intermediate might struggle on these a bit.

19 Sheeva 10 TC.png
Blizzard Sheeva 10
Dimensions: 131.5-102-121.5
Radius: 16m@172cm
Sizes: 156, 164, 172
19 SHEEVA 11.png
Blizzard Sheeva 11
Dimensions: 139-112-129
Radius: 17.5m@172cm
Sizes: 164, 172, 180
Size tested: 172

SkiNurse (156): In all fairness, the conditions at SIA this year were better for carvers than for 100-somethings. The Sheeva is a ski that was easy enough to initiate and could hold a decent edge, but I really wanted to get it in better off-piste conditions. I have heard a lot about this ski and would like to spend more time on it in the right snow.
  • Who is it for? The skier looking for an all-mountain ski for soft snow.
  • Who is it not for? It isn't the greatest as a frontside carver.

AmyPJ
(from last year, 164): The Sheeva 10 was a hoot! Super turny, maneuverable, and easy to get on edge. I could vary turn shapes to my heart’s content and these skis complied. Surfy, smeary, fun! I’d love to own a pair of these as my powder ski. They were light yet stable and did whatever I wanted them to. I giggled a few times in spite of the snow pelting my face, crashing into a hole created by what might have been a snowboarder’s butt, and not being able to see 5 feet in front of me. I also watched @Tricia lay down some railroad track turns on them. These skis can RIP!
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a playful, maneuverable powder ski that can rip.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who never skis powder.

Tricia
(from last year, 172): The only thing that this Sheeva shares with the old Sheeva is the name. All new construction, all new shape, all new fun. My first turns on this ski were in a mix of powder and heavy snow at Snowbasin, with a bit of sticky snow at the base. After a few turns, I knew this was a whole new ski! Wow! This Sheeva cut through the heavy snow, made quick turns when needed, and allowed me to lay it over when getting into the sticky snow near the bottom of the mountain. At one point I stopped to ask @AmyPJ if I was laying it over as much as I felt like I was because I couldn’t believe it could do what I was doing. Later I got on the Sheeva 11, which is a bit wide for my taste, but I got the sense that it will do the same thing for a bigger or more aggressive skier with a wider profile.
  • Who is it for? Someone who’s looking for a powder ski that can be a one-ski quiver on a vacation.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who’s afraid to have fun.
  • Insider tip: If you’re between sizes, don’t be afraid to go up.

n443

Booting up
Skier
I like my '18 Brahma's, but I don't *love* them. It is a lot of ski. The Brahma's are born for days days when the snow is heavy or it's late in the day and you want a strong ski to punch through the crud and carry you through -- confidently and fast. I am 6', 180lbs and feel that I am just about ok with them; if you are 140lbs, you need not apply --they are better suited for for stronger or heavier skiers then lighter ones.

RatherBSk11ng

Booting up
Skier
I like my '18 Brahma's, but I don't *love* them. It is a lot of ski. The Brahma's are born for days days when the snow is heavy or it's late in the day and you want a strong ski to punch through the crud and carry you through -- confidently and fast. I am 6', 180lbs and feel that I am just about ok with them; if you are 140lbs, you need not apply --they are better suited for for stronger or heavier skiers then lighter ones.

6'4" 250lbs here.

Brahmas are EXACTLY enough ski for me. I knew from the first moment I put them on edge.

Just thought I'd throw out the data point for anyone who might be a bit larger than n443.

-w

fasteddie

Down the hill with speed pls! Love Italian Beefs!
Skier
Love my 2018 brahmas. 5’10 225 lbs and they are a lot of fun!

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
So much love for the Brahmas (especially for bigger clydesdale like myself). Anyone interested in adding or moving to the Rustler 9?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug is the lack of a tester's choice shield over the Rustler 11 meant to indicate that it is not a "tester's choice" model or is the shield on the Rustler 10 supposed to cover both models.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've demoed the Brahmas repeatedly (12/13, 16/17, 18/19) and found them great for me, even though I'm a lighter skier (150/5'10"); such a dialed in and versatile ski, and near the top of the list of great skis I've never owned.

I don't know if it was the tune or my lightness, but I've not connected with the Bonafide, at least back in 12/13(?) in its original version, first and second year. (I missed the ones since, until....)

Until this year's version.

Whatever it is, the changes to the ski or the tune before, but the new Bonafide is money to me. I wanna pair of 180s.

I feel like I've re-joined the mainstream.

(Sheesh, so many good skis, so little time.)

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I wanted to demo the Bushwacker but Blizzard has not had it at their tent during the most recent demo events in Colorado. Bummer

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question: For me, the Bushwacker (for me 12/13 & 13/14?) was a slarver with a weak edgehold, but thus forgiving and good at pivoting in bumps, whereas the Brahma of that time could both carve and slarve well, and was a bit stiffer. Is that accurate? And how about the new Bushwacker? :)

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the older Bushwacker could carve pretty easily....

The new one is slightly stiffer but not like nay brahma.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Interesting that there are no reviews of the Blizzard Quattro RS skis. Has anyone gotten on any of these? I have the Blizzard S-Power and G-Power from way back in 2012. I notice that the Quattro RS has the same sidecut and length as my S-Power (although 2mm wider across all dimensions), but Blizzard seems to have "dumbed down" the ski from what these used to be. My Power series skis have integrated Piston plates and full carbon arms connected to both the tip and tail that interface with the pistons. What's the story on the Quattro RS as a replacement?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting that there are no reviews of the Blizzard Quattro RS skis. Has anyone gotten on any of these? I have the Blizzard S-Power and G-Power from way back in 2012. I notice that the Quattro RS has the same sidecut and length as my S-Power (although 2mm wider across all dimensions), but Blizzard seems to have "dumbed down" the ski from what these used to be. My Power series skis have integrated Piston plates and full carbon arms connected to both the tip and tail that interface with the pistons. What's the story on the Quattro RS as a replacement?
Skied it when it first came out....Nice ski but I never was out skiing and thought, "Boy, if I was on the Quattro RS, today would be the perfect day..."

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve never owned a Blizzard ski but I think a pair of Bonifides is going to change all that.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I’ve never owned a Blizzard ski but I think a pair of Bonifides is going to change all that.

I really like my Bones. If you were closer I’d offer mine for you to demo, but I doubt you’d be disappointed.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really like my Bones. If you were closer I’d offer mine for you to demo, but I doubt you’d be disappointed.

What size are yours? I assume at 6’4” 245-250 that I would need the 188s?

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
Look here as Dawgcatching reviewed the 2017 Quattro's. https://www.pugski.com/threads/overview-2017-blizzard-quattro-collection.1057/
Here is what he said:
I skied the top 2 models at Rose. I really wish reps would pay attention to the tunes, however. Everything I was on felt very railed. As a comparison, I just mounted up a pair of S8's (Blizzard's current frontside carver that the Quattro is replacing). It took 16 passes on the stone to get it flat! Imagine if I had skied it out of the wrapper without a full grind: it would have sucked.

My overall impressions of the RS (minus the railed feeling) was that they were quite stiff and aggressive. A little too much ski for me in the 174cm: I like more of an overall progressive initiation; a ski that I can butter into the turn as I am tipping. The S8/Power 800s carver did this VERY well. Stiff enough, not too stiff (the FA84 EDT is also similar in feel). Both Brad (who comes from a full-time race program background) and myself thought the RS was a bit too much overall in feel; very on/off, not a progressive loading like either of us like. He is a fan of skis that will skivot and make different turn shapes: his favorite pure carver at this point is the Stockli Laser SX. The RS had a "locked in" feeling that neither of us really cared for; it is what a lot of people are looking for in a carver, but not us. I was able to next get onto the 7.4ti, which is the replacement for my Power 800s (possibly my favorite carver ever). That ski was much more in line with my expectations: stiff but not too stiff, very good progressive tip engagement with grip increasing linearly as edge angle increased. The tip would bend up just enough if you really got down the fall line into the next turn; it had a great feeling of being able to vary the radius. Still felt railed, however; but I suspect that is more the tune and less of the ski's design. I liked it, and look forward to getting a dialed pair in here! Hopefully in 167cm. The energy on it felt very high in the 174cm I tried.

Got out on my S8 3 days ago, and that is still a superb ski. It never gained traction for some reason.

dawgcatching, Feb 19, 2016Report
#15Like+ QuoteReply

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
It appears as if the US does not get a 7.2 ti this year. In Europe they have a 6.9 ti and 7.4 ti model and an 8.0ti models

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just wanted to add my thoughts on the Rustler 9 as I bought a pair in 180cm and spent the weekend skiing them. I'm 220# 6' tall and mounted them with a set of Solomon Shift bindings and was using Solomon S/Lab MTN boots. In all honesty I think I prolly should have gone with the 188, but whatever. I really wanted to be able to use my MTN boots more because they just work better for patrolling, keeping my feet dryer, and warmer compared to my super awesome Lange XT 130's.. I purchased the Rustlers and chose the bindings specifically because I wanted a lighter, playful, but still capable ski to use when patrolling and skiing with family. Conditions for the weekend was 2" of fresh dense snow on top of groomed that slowly went to soft crud and then to hard crud as the weekend went on.

First day on them and I have overtuned them during my first wax and tune on them.. out of the wrapper they were 1/3 and somewhat rough, so I polished and evened out the edges. Anyways on the snow that first day, the skis just don't want to release from turns, not at all what i would consider "playful" ski that everyone else has described them as. I felt just disconnected with the ski and like I was along for the ride, it could have been the boots as I have not skied them since November (I've used them for lite touring, but not for resort skiing) Anyways, I was disappointed that the skis didn't live up to my ideals that day.

Day 2, I took them home and took a stone to the edges and detuned them quite aggressively to about 2 inches beyond the rocker line towards the center of the ski. This totally changed the ski and loosened up its crazy turn lock in, I could now disengage a turn much easier and control the turn shape more. I also discovered the turn shapes and turn style that they liked, moderate speed and short to medium radius turns with just enough energy coming out of the turns that it's fun but not so much that you get kicked out. The Rustler 9 can go fast and rip large turns, but for me it felt nervous and not well planted while doing so. It didn't do so well with hardened crud, but was fine with soft crud. I've never skied a Blizzard ski before and it felt different, it felt smooth.

Who's it for: A directional skier who wants to dabble with a freeride type ski but still carve a great turn on groomers.
Who is it not for: A big skier who wants to go fast and rip long turns, get an Enforcer if you want that.
Pro tip: Mount on the line and detune those tips and tails to loosen the ski up if you want it more like a directional hard snow freeride ski.

Sponsor