• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2018 Salomon XDR 84 Ti - A Tip and Rip All-Mountain Ski

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
What salomon says about this ski

Squeeze every ounce of fun from the resort with XDR 84 Ti. It shines on everything from high speed groomers to fresh powder. C/FX keeps the ride damp and stable, but is very light to save energy for the last chair of the day.

The dimension are

131-84-114 15 meter sidecut, size test 179cm

I am 5'9 195lb technically skilled and can ski either finesse or power depending on how I feel or the skis on my feet.
"
its actually the tightest radius non SL ski I have owned in probably about 10 years.....

After one day of skiing on lots of different snow and slope, this is a SL ski with some all mountain chops for the right skier.

On groomers its favorite thing to do is tip and rip, it make mean SL sized turns, its grip is fantastic even on eastern hard pack, its silly damp due to the C/FX core and every bit as damp as my Head Monster 83. IT hard to describe but this ski is an oxymoron in the fact that its super damp, but really light and has lots of fun energy, along with feels like tons of edge grip and power. The not so good is that GS sized turns feel slightly un hinged due to the short sidecut its doable but its just doesnt feel great. In late day chopped up scraped of ice, if you can do a SL turn they are great but balk at any stivoting or drifting to avoid people. My monsters are a ton better to ski different radius and to maneuver around people at speed, but are not nearly as fun making a SL sized turns. Steered turns are good, but they require some attention again due to tight side cut. Honestly the turn radius is so tight that on a groomer I can not think of a good reason to not just tip and rip though everything. This ski actually feel more stable and more powerful on a groomer than a OG 180cm Blizzard Brahma, but in a much tighter radius.

Bumps - If your idea of bump skiing is feet together pivot slamming though a bump field do not get these skis, they balked at and feel extremely grabby, but for round playful bump skiing they do pretty well are easy to adjust turn shape as needed and feel silly light if you need to hop or pivot quickly to change your line. One caveat there are basically no icey bumps at Stowe right now and I think they will be fine but the super tight sidecut may make them unpredictable in super firm bumps, time will tell on that.

Trees/powder - if its packed or light amounts of soft snow this is a great skier out tree ski. Super easy to throw around, playful, goes where you point it. In deeper heavier snow, I would prefer to be on either my E93 or E100 but its still workable. The more open its is the less the lack of float bites me, but right now we have 2-3 feet of dense wind loaded snow in most vermont woods so on our more exploring runs today this was simply not as fun as my 185cm Enforcer 100s that I switched to as contrast in the powder. My 130lb wife though has no such problem on the same ski in a 165cm. I think for most people glade skiing though on either packed or packed snow with up to 6-8 inches of fresh on top this ski will be fine but at stowe though especially in the lesser known woods float is key especially for larger people like myself.

If you someone who tips and rips and wants a ski to take on the whole mountain that is damp, powerful(but never over demanding), and yet still lively and light I would give this and its 80 and 88 mm sibling a hard looks. I also could see a midwestern(or small hill eastern) at small hill buy this in reasonable long length and be able to have fun make super tight carved turns back home while still having versatility when they travel to bigger mountains.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice report!
Goodness, 15m radius in a 179cm ski?
You didn't find it annoying?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
well.....let just say I am not going to give up my 18-25 meter all mountain / freeride skis which I have plenty...

There is no way this could be my only ski, but I going to ski it tons on low snow freeskiing days, and teaching basically anything on it. It will also feel chore like skiing with students in the woods which is part of the reason I didnt go 186......although the 186 would probably be better for my freeskiing especially n the woods but when teaching there is tons of stopping sideslipping, and pivot and then a long ski is not really any fun. It silly fun to rip SL turns down basically any groomer you find including hayride and liftline.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Josh , great information. Apart from the SL turn preference this sounds like a ski I would like. Perhaps the 88 version with greater turn radius might be happier making a wider range of turn shapes ?
Cheers Mike

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
probably....but until I ski it, I am not sure.

The 88 is a little straighter in 179 at 17m... might be slightly floatier as well. I mean most more open sidecut tend to skids and smear easier, but 15m is REALLY tight. My FIS sl skis are 14.5 in comparison.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so a little update....

I finally had some really troughed out Z turns bump and trees and bumps to ski last week. This ski was not liking that condition. The tip and tail just wanted to grab everything, and I was wishing I had my 180cm carbon Brahmas.

Overall the ski continues to impress on groomers and in powder, and even got it out in 12-16icnh of snow last week, where is was wonderfully balanced and actually really floatly

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have bought this exact ski, but have not yet had the chance to use it in anger. I still have my previous skis, which are 2016 (pre graphene) i-titans which have a pretty similar turn radius , how would you compare these if you have skied both skis?

Sponsor

Staff online