• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2018 Blizzard Brahma v 2018 Kastle FX85 HP

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Hi. Has anyone compared these two skis, if not 2018, at least current generation? The matter of specific interest is quickness of tip engagement. I spoke to a salesman on the phone to get a sense of the design. He told me the rise location is about the same, but that the HP's tip rise is greater than that of the Brahma. Not actually being there, hard to judge how significant. Hoping that someone has actually compared.

What do I want to do? I want to be able to crank out short radius turns. I will do it by bending the ski. I don't care that the HP has a bigger radius, as the ski bend will be dominant. But, for sure I want to get quick, early tip engagement high in the turn.

Not that it makes a difference, but I would be going with the 180 Brahma or the 181 HP. And, if you haven't skied the 2018 Brahma, comparison of 2017 Brahma with current HP would also be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Mike said, tip engagement and FX85 HP should not be included in the same sentence.
Short turns - Hmmmm, NO.
Good soft snow ski, but definitely leave it home when the snow gets heavy and firm.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Mike said, tip engagement and FX85 HP should not be included in the same sentence.
Short turns - Hmmmm, NO.
Good soft snow ski, but definitely leave it home when the snow gets heavy and firm.

Grump nails it. The tip on the FX is maddeningly slow to engage. If patience isn’t your thing, stay away from the FX. I found the newest Brahma a nice ride all over the mountain.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
So ... ... why these two skis, then?

Looking for lowest weight Ti ski that can be skied as described. HP and Brahma are 1950g and 2000g respectively. For weight, willing to go as low as mid-80's. For stability, not willing to go below 180's.

Sponsor

Staff online