• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Blizzard Brahma - eastern perspective.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
about the testers

Me
35 years old
5'8
200lb
think gorilla, not apple.
PSIA Dev Team member

Prefer rounds turns with some zip most places but I am finessey and versatile. As long off piste isnt hateful I am probably skiing there.

I have had long history with the Blizzard freeride line, in fact I own some of the first 180cm Bushwackers in the states, owned an early pair of brahmas, as well some first gen carbons. While I initially loved the original Brahma in 180cm I eventually stopped loving it as my E93 did almost everything better except truly awful trees. The long running length of the E93, couple with the slightly shorter sidecut just felt better on groomed, was better in 3d crud and light amounts of powder, in fact the old brahma never really did anything in powder for me. For the past couple years my brahmas really just sat while I skied my E93 on nicer days, and my Monster 83s on harder packed days. The E93 can feel a little big is certain bumps and skied out woods, the monster 83 can feel little to cambered in tree and bumps, but both are always workable.

So the new one has killer price for instructors, way better than its ever been. After scouting the camber profile, which had more running length and less abrubt rise especially in the tip, as well seemingly to handle flex stiffer than the old one I figured to give it a go. My 180cm are mounted on the line P18 which creates a heavy set up(nice for broken snow) and I have no had 6 days on them doing a little of everything on them, if you dont want to read on. Long story short the new Brahma is both easier to ski than the old one, and actually more chargey. My wife who is 130lb on the 166cm says they carve and slavre easier than the old one, and she loves the old one way more than I was.

The ski feels like it has more positive contact on hard/packed snow than the old ski, it tend to smaller than normal GS turn, and has pretty crazy grip on anything but true ice, but can be coerced into gripping on that as well. At the same time turns that require some rotary input are stupid easy to pull off, way easier than the E93 which sometime can feel cambered. I have no idea how they made ski that feels grippier when you need it, and yet as slippery as ever when you need but they did(the only other skis I have skied like this is the new Fischer RC one)

On Groomers its feel connected on all but the hardest snow, and does pretty well in "push" piles, in thick groomed granualr it has enough width to get some platform but also is strong enough to grip the hard bottom. Ideal your on hard chaulky snow to packed powder with it. The E93 still has slightly edge going mach looney, but overall the new Brahma is way better than the old one.

Off piste its great, intuitive, easy to pivot, slarve, hop around, carve though 3d snow, give alittle platform but never that much. it feels more balanced in powder than the old one but if you my weight you will not really get float. Its the easiest ski in ski out off piste I have owned thus far, and even spent wed/thurs last week understudying a bumps clinic at Mount Snow, which was misshapen coral reef bumps. They did really well in that enviroment and were far better than the Monster 83 which would try to grip on the tip and tail, instead of underfoot like the Brahma.

My 130lb wife find the powder skiing on her 166cm a ton better than me.....

Who is the ski for?

anyone who wants a good mid fat that can handle almost anything, with style and ease of use.

Who is not for?

maybe people off balance. Even if your light you can ski the smaller sizes and for most experts male and female you be hard pressed to find a better do it all mid fat.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Appreciate the review. I demoed the 2019 Brahma last July in New Zealand in firm conditions and my understanding s it's the same ski as the 2018 version. As someone who is 5'8" and weighs 185 lbs, I demoed the 173.

1) Curious which length you use?

2) Curious what skis do you consider as more on the unforgiving side if the Brahma isn't one of them?

Reason I ask is while my experience was similar in that I found the Brahma had very strong grip/edge hold and carving performance, I found the Brahmas to be on the unforgiving side and biased to a certain turn radius. I'm not half the skier you are though. Just curious though what skis you'd classify as unforgiving if the Brahma isn't one of them?

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am really interested in these and will demo them this spring if not before. Thinking of changing up my quiver. I currently have the Bonafide (first iteration with carbon) in 180 and really like it. But - for my mountain - a 90'ish waist is a great DD. I love the stability of the Bones so thinking I would like the Brahma as well. Then add a more playful - 100'ish ski for the days with some fresh.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am on the 180cm..duh for got the post that. I honestly could be on the 187cm if I stayed out of 20 percent of the woods at Stowe, and out west Id be on the 187cm no question.

My Monster 83 are more unforgiving as the 88. Also the original Brahma IMO was actually less forgiving than this skis IMO. Other skis that are not very forgiving around this waist width. would be the original Kastle MX88, Stockli Scot Schmitt Pro. Other skis not in this width I find unforgiving are my 187cm OG bonafides, 193cm OG cochise, Fischer Curv GT(no idea who calls this playful), also there are some skis that are so forgiving that become un forgiving like my old 174cm X power, 177cm Nordica Soul Rider, 180cm Rossi Soul 7. These skis are so soft that I actually get more tired trying to stay balance on them in anything less than smooth snow.

There is chance the pair you skied @Wasatchman wasnt tuned right/railed/hanging burr. I actually dont get when people say skis are biased toward a certain radius. Yes all skis will carve well in a certain range, but if you are able to finesse a flatter skis any ski will do any sort of turn shape you please.

@Daves not here this skis actually makes me much more interested in the Bonafide/cochise as I am curious if the new Bonafide carries over the same attributes.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like to add my review of the 2018 Brahma in 187cm length. I am a expert skier, race coach, 6'4", 240lbs. I ski New Enland mtns, with an occasional trip out west. I bought a used 2017-2018 pair at the end of the season and had them ground by SKIMD to a 0.5/3.0 tune. I had read how well they carved and was looking forward to getting on these skis. Planned to use them as my hard snow daily driver.

I will start my review by saying I pretty much concur with everything Josh has said above about the 180cm ski and that it applies to the 187. I am amazed at how easy this ski is to pivot when you want to considering its size. It handles all snow conditions up to maybe 6" great and feels like it will give a little float as well. Not much will disturb this ski, it just slides over it. I will add that the 187 length is a lot of ski. I own a 27m radius FIS GS race ski in 193cm and they are in the same league in terms of feeling long. The Brahmas turn much easier, but not much derails them. They are surprisingly easy to get them to do what you want them to do. They aren't "front side ski" quick, but a little pivot will bring them right around. I have only skied them about 3 days and have not had them in any new snow, and not much in trees. I did take them in moguls and liked them. For me, they are a nice stiffness, absorb some impact and crush some snow, a nice combo. I can see why people call them stiff, I would say more burly than pure stiff. When I ski them, I think "this is my Big Boy ski" I can just truck over anything and not worry about it. (except ice)

I find them performing really well in everything except really hard snow. On the first day out with the new tune, the ski felt completely locked into one radius turn no matter what I did to roll them on edge more. I have never felt anything quite like this. After a few runs, as the edges dulled a bit, that went away completely and the ski was able to pivot easily and slarve/carve whatever I wanted. I suspect the ski had some "hanging burrs" to quote Atomic man. By the end of the day, and it was getting icy, the tails started to let go prematurely on me. The ice grip was lacking for someone my weight. I will add they had the most controlled "slarve" I have ever felt on a ski. I checked the tune when I got home and it was good. I actually suspect I need to move my bindings to find the right position for my weight and the Marker binding ramp angle. Right now I am on the line. I resharpened the skis before my last use, and the grip was good and the ski performed great. There was no ice that day, however.

To conclude, if you have read the reviews on Blister, I have similar impressions. The 180cm ski is much quicker and more appropriate for most skiers. I would still buy the 187cm ski, as it is the right length for my size. These skis have very subtle rocker that runs a very long way along the ski. To get the edges to bite hard, you have to have enough flex in the ski to engage the edge along its entire length. The flip side is not flexing the ski allows it to pivot really easily too. Mounting the ski on the line makes this happen for most skiers. I suspect for me, I am not an "on the line" person for this ski and once I get my mounting position dialed in, the ski's grip on ice will improve. For now this is my all around ski that will stay in the car if its a very icy day. Otherwise, it really is a remarkably versatile ski in terms of what it can handle. I would agree it is not a hugely forgiving ski, but that is because it has some chops to handle being skied hard. If you want to ski every where, this is the ski that will allow you to do it well. If you are trying to develop those skills, this ski will not pamper you as climb the learning curve.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
wait are your black and red?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting thread. I skied a 187 Brahma this weekend, and liked it enough to buy the demo....it was barely used and a good deal.

I'm between 5'10 and 5'11' and weigh 175 now (less in the summer/endurance sport season). It's filling the harder snow/chargier part of my quiver. It worked really well on the alpine chalk in kicking horse, and I suspect it will be great at Lake Louise. I have a softer easy going ski for hunting in Fernie trees, which is good because at my size, strength and skill, the 187 skis a lot easier with a bit of speed. Really fun skis.

Nick Taylor

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I skied the original Brahma in 180 cm length which and liked even though they were somewhat demanding-hard snow edge grip was excellent but off piste float was acceptable.
I have since upgraded to the 2019 Brahma and what an amazing job Blizzard has done with this ski!
The tip and tail seem lighter and softer allowing easier and quicker turn initiation, better off piste float and are great in moguls yet I would say they have 95% of the hard snow grip of the original.
I dont think that the Brahma is a demanding ski given its performance potential in the traditional sense as it is not super stiff and the rocker profile allows easy turn initiation and the ability to pivot the ski in moguls.
Where I think it is demanding is in the amount of rocker and relative lack of camber of the ski which makes fore and aft balance more critical and a more centered stance and some finesse is required to get the most out of it.
For its performance potential ,versatility and finesse it has the Brahma remains in a league of its own.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For discussion purposes, Blizzard Brahma specs:
Tip/Waist/Tail Widths 127/88/111 (@180cm) Tail Profile Flared
Actual Turn Radius @ Specified Length 17m (@180cm)

Sponsor

Staff online