• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Bonafides - first version with carbon tip and tail (15/16 season-not sure). They are a great all mountain ski and plenty capable off trail. But I rode the Rustler 10 at a demo day last year and could see getting those vs my Bones. I have a 3 ski quiver with Patrons at the top. Put Rustler in the middle and then a Brahma at the bottom and I would be just fine.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I've started to think about my next set of skis. I have 5 yr old Hell 'n Backs, 98mm underfoot, basically the old Enforcer without the metal layer, that I picked up during a StartHaus blemish sale (never demoed them, but the Enforcers were gone and the price was way more than great). I love them in the powder and trees, but they handle poorly in crud and though they hold an edge well they lack pop and thus limit fun on groomers. I also have 7 yr old Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous CAs, 78mm underfoot, for my east coast default.

I'm 5'4" 158lbs, consider myself on the the advanced spectrum. Ski most everywhere on the mountain, but given the opportunity, I'd rather be off-piste. Not so much interested in speed as in finding the right rhythm. Live in Maryland so Mid Atlantic gets half or more of my days, but try to get out west 1-2 times and New England 1-2 times per season.

From what I read, the Rustler should be a bit lighter than the Enforcers, having one layer metal versus two, but a bit beefier than my HnB. I plan on demoing whenever possible. Would appreciate recommendations.

I skied my Rustlers today. While they are lighter than many other skis I have been on, they still handle very well in a variety of conditions.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have the Bonafides - first version with carbon tip and tail (15/16 season-not sure). They are a great all mountain ski and plenty capable off trail. But I rode the Rustler 10 at a demo day last year and could see getting those vs my Bones. I have a 3 ski quiver with Patrons at the top. Put Rustler in the middle and then a Brahma at the bottom and I would be just fine.

Last Sunday I skied the new 187cm Bonafide and the 188cm Rustler 10 back to back. Loved both but felt the Rustler 10 was more versatile while not giving up much in firm groomer performance which really surprised me. The Rustler had awesome edge grip as well. The Bonafide still felt like the charger of old but more refined, smoother and could make a shorter turn easier than the old model. The tips felt better and more connected to the snow compared to last years Bones.

The 188cm Rustler 10 is just the better OSQ for advanced skiers that like to explore the entire mountain in a wide range of snow conditions, superb ski. The 187cm Bonafides felt pretty similar to my 184cm Monster 88's in similar snow conditions. They both are more biased towards hard snow but have off trail capability. If you want/need something like that in a wider platform then its a great choice. The Monster 98's are also very similar in the regard to the Bonafides and a great choice as well. Which of those two is better in soft snow? I have no clue but the Monster 98's were great when I demoed them in soft snow but I have yet to get on the Bones in similar conditions.

All that said, a great quiver would be the Rustler 10 as the centerpiece since it serves as a great daily driver in a wide range of snow conditions, a much narrower ski for hard snow groomers and a wide powder ski for epic days.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last Sunday I skied the new 187cm Bonafide and the 188cm Rustler 10 back to back. Loved both but felt the Rustler 10 was more versatile while not giving up much in firm groomer performance which really surprised me. The Rustler had awesome edge grip as well. The Bonafide still felt like the charger of old but more refined, smoother and could make a shorter turn easier than the old model. The tips felt better and more connected to the snow compared to last years Bones.

The 188cm Rustler 10 is just the better OSQ for advanced skiers that like to explore the entire mountain in a wide range of snow conditions, superb ski. The 187cm Bonafides felt pretty similar to my 184cm Monster 88's in similar snow conditions. They both are more biased towards hard snow but have off trail capability. If you want/need something like that in a wider platform then its a great choice. The Monster 98's are also very similar in the regard to the Bonafides and a great choice as well. Which of those two is better in soft snow? I have no clue but the Monster 98's were great when I demoed them in soft snow but I have yet to get on the Bones in similar conditions.

All that said, a great quiver would be the Rustler 10 as the centerpiece since it serves as a great daily driver in a wide range of snow conditions, a much narrower ski for hard snow groomers and a wide powder ski for epic days.

I need to ride the Rustler 10 and the Legend x106 again since I liked them both.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I need to ride the Rustler 10 and the Legend x106 again since I liked them both.

Me too, its a tough choice between those two. I guess I couldnt go wrong with either one.

sojourney

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a pair of Nordica NRGY 100, I'm wondering how the Rustler 10 compares. Thanks

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm contemplating my next ski. I have the original Bones in 180 and I like them, even though they are a bit much for my 5'9" 150 lb frame. The safe bet would be the new Bonafide. I think the Rustler 10 might be going too wide. I'm actually curious about something like a Stormrider 95. That would fit better with a more dedicated powder ski. For firm days, I have the MX83.

Or, I could just keep skiing what I have.

I know this is contrary to almost all posts BUT. I skied on the original Bones for 4 yrs and loved them. About 200 plus days. Thought I should get new ones, everyone said no change in skis, I got new Bones and hated them, skied nothing like my original ones. Sold them and got some Elan 88xti and love them 3rd yr on them.

Why this happened, I don't know but still have my original Bones and they are my early season rock ski.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I ride my Carbon Bones today at Schweitzer and absolutely loved them. But - I still want to ride the Rustler some more.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dave, was thinking of coming to Schweitzer soon and do some demo's. Are they pretty well stocked in demo's? Silver and Lookout are pretty thin on demo's, thinking of something like the Rustler 10 for all terrain, powder etc. I don't get to Schweitzer very often, it is such a long drive from St.Maries. Hows the fog been ?

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dave, was thinking of coming to Schweitzer soon and do some demo's. Are they pretty well stocked in demo's? Silver and Lookout are pretty thin on demo's, thinking of something like the Rustler 10 for all terrain, powder etc. I don't get to Schweitzer very often, it is such a long drive from St.Maries. Hows the fog been ?

I think they are. Have to check what all they have and what lengths in the website. There is going to be another demo day at Schweitzer this spring as well. I did it last year and will again this year.

The fog was pretty bad last weekend when it got warm. But for the most part it has been ok - but have only used my yellow lens goggles this season if that tells ya anything.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of Nordica NRGY 100, I'm wondering how the Rustler 10 compares. Thanks
Where the gradual tip profile of the NRGy100 is nice and relaced the Rustler had a much more playful side and is a better off piste with more but not overwhelming power.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I know this is contrary to almost all posts BUT. I skied on the original Bones for 4 yrs and loved them. About 200 plus days. Thought I should get new ones, everyone said no change in skis, I got new Bones and hated them, skied nothing like my original ones. Sold them and got some Elan 88xti and love them 3rd yr on them.

Why this happened, I don't know but still have my original Bones and they are my early season rock ski.
I'm going to join you in the minority opinion. I read the (many) reviews implying the Bonafide was a bonafide hard charging ski, e.g. "changes don’t alter the Bonafide’s essential traits of fright-train stability and bulldog grip", so naturally when I found out the demo shop had a pair I tried them.

Even though I didn't get to do a full work out with them (most of my day was skiing with the kids on easy runs), I skied them enough. This is not my idea of a hard charging ski; high speed long radius turns are sketchy. You have to choose between drifting with dubious control and contact, or cranking them up to a high edge angle and carving a very short turn. They are great for off-piste tree skiing at reasonable speeds. They are great for high-g (two or three g) turns at moderate speeds. They were not meant for longer turns. Even the 100-eight I tried was better at high speed turns, although it didn't have all that high a grip on the groomed. The Elan Ripstick 96 I had for a day puts it to shame.

Just my opinion. I fully realize many won't agree with me.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually, incorrect. Not "Everyone"...I said repeatedly that the Bonafide got stiffer and stiffer through it's generations.

From my Long Term Test of the 2018...

...but over the years the ski had gotten progressively more demanding...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to join you in the minority opinion. I read the (many) reviews implying the Bonafide was a bonafide hard charging ski, e.g. "changes don’t alter the Bonafide’s essential traits of fright-train stability and bulldog grip", so naturally when I found out the demo shop had a pair I tried them.

Even though I didn't get to do a full work out with them (most of my day was skiing with the kids on easy runs), I skied them enough. This is not my idea of a hard charging ski; high speed long radius turns are sketchy. You have to choose between drifting with dubious control and contact, or cranking them up to a high edge angle and carving a very short turn. They are great for off-piste tree skiing at reasonable speeds. They are great for high-g (two or three g) turns at moderate speeds. They were not meant for longer turns. Even the 100-eight I tried was better at high speed turns, although it didn't have all that high a grip on the groomed. The Elan Ripstick 96 I had for a day puts it to shame.

Just my opinion. I fully realize many won't agree with me.

I will disagree with you. While i think there are harder charging 98's....MX98...Monster 98, by no means is the ski a Quest 98 either. I am not sure what was laking in the ski you tried, conditions or the tune...but it sure lis not the ski. To say a Elan Ripsick puts the Bonafide to shame...well having skied both myself and I will also have @Drahtguy Kevin and @FairToMiddlin both chime in since they skied the same skis on the same day...something is is missing from your equation. I am not questioning you...but more the skis.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Maybe it was the tune. They could have put a 3 degree base bevel on it, or detuned it, but the other three pairs of skis I demoed from the same shop seemed to have perfect tunes.

Specifically, what it did not do, that I require a charger do, is carve a precise high speed (50 mph+) long radius turn and not smear it. It could not do that on corduroy; it could not do that in 5 inches of fresh fallen un-skied snow; It could not do that in skied out refrozen crud. It could however carve shorter radius turns just fine once I put them up on edge. And it was very good at smearing turns. Trying to carve a high speed turn with them resulted in a scary smear, very scary until a big edge angle was applied and what followed was a much too-tight turn. I found nothing in between too tight and scary smear at that speed.

Sponsor

Staff online