• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Is anyone planning on attending (or competing in) the 2017 Birds of Prey in Beaver Creek NOV. 28 - DEC. 3, 2017!

2017 RACE SCHEDULE

Friday, Dec. 1
Super G | Start: 10:45am

Saturday, Dec. 2
Downhill | Start: 11:00am

Sunday, Dec. 3
Giant Slalom | Run 1 Start: 9:45am | Run 2 Start: 12:45pm

It sound like a great opportunity for some Pugskiers to get together to do some skiing, ring some cowbells, and enjoy the festivities.

I am looking forward to it!

There's nothing like a cancellation to remind us just how great an event it is.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
When it gets closer, I'll add a roll call.
Here's an ics calendar file of the events.
Downhill training on Wednesday and Thursday!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We might go for a few days to check out the race. Would there be skiing too as well as watching the race? Might make it more enticing.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
We might go for a few days to check out the race. Would there be skiing too as well as watching the race? Might make it more enticing.
Absolutely!
The racing is on a small part of the mountain.
Most people skiing those days will never catch a glimpse of it.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Absolutely!
The racing is on a small part of the mountain.
Most people skiing those days will never catch a glimpse of it.

I/we would go to hang out with friends involved in the race/broadcasting of the race. Getting in some morning skiing would be a bonus if possible.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I/we would go to hang out with friends involved in the race/broadcasting of the race. Getting in some morning skiing would be a bonus if possible.
That is the right mindset. Percents of terrain open in CO on Dec. 1 are very low, with the possible exception of Wolf Creek. At Beaver Creek itself, you can bet that November snowmaking priority will be given to those race courses over public ski trails. But in a good year you might have 1,000+ acres at Vail. And yes you can easily ski a morning at Vail and get to Beaver Creek by lunch time as I did one day on my last trip there in January 2015.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'm strongly considering coming up for the downhill Saturday. I've always wanted to see a WC downhill in person. I'm not sure I'd be interested in paying Beaver Creek ticket prices for a couple hours of early season skiing, though. I'd probably just come up to watch the race. @Blue Streak do you know if, as a spectator, you would be allowed to hike up alongside the course a ways, or do you need to stay in the finish stadium area? I think it would be pretty wild to get an up-close view of the Golden Eagle jump.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I have attended two DH races, the combined at Snowbasin during the 2002 Olympics and the Hahnenkamm last January. In both cases nearly all spectators were at the base in grandstands or standing room areas with a big video screen to view the upper 3/4 at least of the course. When I was at Beaver Creek in January 2015, grandstands were set up at the base of Grouse. Thus I suspect transport is available for spectators to the Grouse grandstand.

I do not know what options there may be to view from higher up a course. These days with security considerations it may be very restricted. Last year we skied Kitzbuhel two days after the Hahnenkamm and got a closer look at the course.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Best access will be by taking the shuttles from the base area to the RedTail Camp, where the bleachers and screen will be set up. It will be a short walk form where the shuttles will drop you off up to Red Tail, where the finish is. Maybe 5 minutes. Shuttle run back and forth every 5-10 minutes.

Getting up on the hill is problematic, even on skis. BOP has a huge Course crew between the "Talon Crew", the paid race crews from BC and Vail, and the big crowd of SSCV volunteers. Course is obviously heavily netted, TV cameras, etc. They really want people off the hill.

You can see so much on the big screen, can see the RedTail jump and finish live, and there is a great crowd buzz. It's fun. Great weekend.

I'm hoping that Bode will be doing commentary, BTW.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Well it looks like there isn't much in the way of distractions this weekend. The skiing sucks, and the Broncos - well - let's not go there.
Who is up for the Birds of Prey this weekend
And afterwards there will be Beers of Prey, either the official one or an unofficial quaffing!

TonyC

Pass Pulled
That is one impressive job of snowmaking considering the bare hillsides in the background of some of those pics.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
No kidding!
Watching the race now on TV. Live on the hill, we had to listen to Doug Lewis. It is a pleasure to listen to Bodie Miller
There is no comparison.

Sponsor

Staff online