• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a long time friend that comes out here every year from Michigan and stays a month or so. He got here on Tuesday, left for Truckee on Wednesday. He wanted me to go with, if my manager hadn't had to leave at 3:00 that day I'd have left with him.

He's skied Squaw the last two days, pics he sent me.

Blue skies and 10 inches Thursday morning.

View attachment 41924

This morning at Squaw.

View attachment 41925
The blue skies didn't last long at Squaw on Thursday morning! But the powder did (free refills).

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Squaw opened late this morning. I80 closed early. Between getting Gordon unstuck so he could get turned around with 80 closed and the slow Squaw website updates we missed the opening. It was busy and quite cut up when we got there. Still some good powder left! But it was heavy. Or my legs were shot. Anything steep was awesome. The cut up milder slopes were fun. Poulsen's was magic. But I was too tired from too many days of powder so l went in with time for more lifts. My son stayed out and found more sweet stashes and some soft bumps. Olympic Lady was spinning! I definitely came in too early.

Especially since 80 was still closed. Caltrans might be as slow updating as Squaw. It was late when finally reported open. Certainly the road wasn't nearly bad to be closed when we went over Donner.

It did snow down to 4000 feet so the heaviness of the snow was surprising.

The traffic going up looked horrendous. Tomorrow might be a snowmageddon on the mountain. Good day to visit mom...

Eric

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Especially since 80 was still closed. Caltrans might be as slow updating as Squaw. It was late when finally reported open. Certainly the road wasn't nearly bad to be closed when we went over Donner.

It did snow down to 4000 feet so the heaviness of the snow was surprising.

The traffic going up looked horrendous. Tomorrow might be a snowmageddon on the mountain. Good day to visit mom...

Eric
Best to check caltrans at http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm or on the phone 800.427.7623 as things change
minute by minute. All it takes is a few dummies to spin out to close 80.

Yes WB 80 reopened. Latest is 80 is closed EB at Colfax. 88 still closed and 20 is closed at Nevada City
Some snow here at 2500 ft so it's a mystery why some is heavier today at Tahoe. Maybe being insanely deep
makes it seem heavy.

Glad I'm not heading up till Tues night.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Glad I'm not heading up till Tues night.
Probably not as glad as you'd be if you'd skied the last three days, assuming you went to a place that spun some good lifts.

I'm debating between Heavenly and Kirkwood early this AM. If I go to Kirkwood and 88 to the West does not open by the time crowds drive me away, it's a long drive to San Jose when you have to return to 50 in Meyers. I heard that Kirkwood ran Cornice on Friday, but they would not let you go to Sentinel. So Palisades, The Wall and Backside should all be untracked. May be worth the extra driving.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Slide side parking is full. Top of Northwest cam shows riders on the lift. A friend texted me that it's a really slow traffic jam on 431. My guess is an accident is running up the works. We started, we saw, we turned around.
@Jasmine just turned around also.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting, at Mt. Rose, Slide side is packed like I have never seen it and NO ONE at Rose..did Rose side not open today?

View attachment 41954

View attachment 41954
View attachment 41955

Wow. After so many days of excellent powder, I'm glad I don't have to fight that. However, sleep in and catch the inevitable soft bumps after the powder crazies have overwhelmed the mountain and turned them into sweet mogul fields. Still fun to be had!

But fun for me to visit mom and let my legs recover.

Eric

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a report of great parking on the Rose side and the snow is fantastic .

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Those heading to KW better check if 88 is open over Carson Pass ? 88 has closures somewhere.
20 closed (going on 3rd day) out of Nevada City) Snowing now at elevation 2600ft !
80 seems open w/ chains Nevada to Gold Run.CA

FLASH Squaw claims 3.5 feet in 24 hours. INSANE. :eek::eek: :yeah::Teleb:

FLASH Squaw just opened KT22.
We need a pic of the lift line. Upper lifts at Squawpine on hold for
avy control -I'm guessing they'll open several at some point today.

Mtrose cams show NW open on Rose side.
Squaw cams show a line waiting at Alpine for Summit chair to open.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Wierdness at Squaw. KT22 is closed- may or may not have opened ?

Top is "somewhat" open Funitel > Big Blue > Shirley Lake - is only way to upper Mt. . Gold Coast closed.

Alpine has most everything (except lakeview, sherwood) , including Summit open

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wierdness at Squaw. KT22 is closed- may or may not have opened ?

Top is "somewhat" open Funitel > Big Blue > Shirley Lake - is only way to upper Mt. . Gold Coast closed.

Alpine must be crowded. I miss the snow, but I'm (sort of) glad I'm not trying to ski today.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Left the house 7:35 parked about 15 cars in from the highlands hairpin at 7:55. Took till about 9:30 to get backside and lookout link open. Charged hard till around 11:30 when it started to turn into a shitshow then bailed.

Word from squaw was they weren't spinning much as of a bit ago.

There's a lot of snow out there. It really needs to settle a bit. Fresh run outs were a lot of work even on my most gigantic (195)skis.

Next few days should b pretty killer!!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I attempted the drive up to SLT yesterday night. 50 was open but after Pollock Pines- came to a complete standstill. I be waited an hour and decided to turn back to a hotel in Folsom (that was at around 11:45pm). Turned out to be a good call. I had a friend a mile ahead of me in another car who posted on. He reached SLT at 4am :eek:

Second attempt today morning, but from Folsom was smooth. Just a longer than usual halt at Kyburz for chain control. There was chain warning at Pollock Pines too, but no check.

Skied at Sierra to further reduce the morning drive and no echo pass transit needed. Was on the mountain at 10ish.

Untracked knee deep to be found even past noon. Got greedy with some low angle fluff on the backside (Smokey area) and I had to go straight down to keep up speed (with occasional hops, hehe).

Great day- and it was still not the usual Sierra cement.:golfclap:

Driving into Sierra-
IMG_20180317_103820-01.jpeg

Poles sinking in to handles pretty much everywhere-
IMG_20180317_114758-01.jpeg

Preacher's Passion competely filled in-
IMG_20180317_120458-01.jpeg
Intermittent snow and bluebird all day-
IMG_20180317_125225-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
May have had my best lift served deep powder day ever at Kirkwood where they have reported 70" for last 4 days. There were many over the head face-shots and I often had 3-4 turns in a row where I could not breathe.

I left SLT before 730 and was on first chair on #7. I skied it twice before moving to much busier Cornice. On #7 the low-angle groomer had 3" of silk that skied great. Cornice, where they eventually let you go as far as you wanted into Wagon Wheel Bowl or the Palisades, had 7-8 minute line until they opened Reut which I rode once. The Wall loaded at 12:45 and I took three laps on it before I quit about 2:45. Chair 2 also loaded in the PM, but no Backside. I had to go home via 50 where there was heavy enough snow at 3K above Placerville to stick to the road.

Last edited:

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
I suspect that Lakeview and Sherwood will open tomorrow

Alpine must be crowded. I miss the snow, but I'm (sort of) glad I'm not trying to ski today.
Wasn't bad, considering. My two best untracked lines were the ridge left of Pete's (which separates it from North Peril/Peril Trees) and Tiegel Chutes.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I'm at Diamond Peak today, in case any Pugskier happens to be here- let's try to meet up. No colorful outfit to easily identify me (black pants, green boots, green jacket, small osprey backpack, likely GoPro on top of helmet, and Line Bacons)... Will check DMs at lunch.

Short clip from yesterday at Sierra-

Last edited:

The Dad

reducing mountain town property values
Skier
I suspect that Lakeview and Sherwood will open tomorrow

Wasn't bad, considering. My two best untracked lines were the ridge left of Pete's (which separates it from North Peril/Peril Trees) and Tiegel Chutes.
To clarify: Crowds weren't bad. Skiing was awesome.

Buddy texted me a pic from the Lakeview lift 25 minutes ago. Looks like it did indeed open this morning. Bummed I had to head downhill.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To clarify: Crowds weren't bad. Skiing was awesome.

Buddy texted me a pic from the Lakeview lift 25 minutes ago. Looks like it did indeed open this morning. Bummed I had to head downhill.
Sad I had to leave Thursday, but we got in some awesome skiing last week (went from slushy spring skiing to winter powder skiing). I especially love Alpine when Lakeview and Sherwood are open. Glad it was good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online