• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2012-2013 Nordica Enforcer in 185cm

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Me: 165lb agreessive skier, 40-65 days per year since moving to aspen 6 years ago.
Quiver: old 168cm stockli laser sc, 177 cm head monster 88, 186cm Nordica hell and back, 185cm line supernatural 108 and 185 cm line influence 115
Boot: 26.5 Fischer rc130vacuum w booster strap,
Background: I was looking for a new ski to replace my aging hell and back and maybe my 108 which I like but don’t love. Thought the enforcer 100 sounded ideal, but between the short TR and the forward mount point, it was too responsive to pressuring the Tips as I like. I mentioned this to a retired Nordica dealer, and he said I should try the original enforcer. Same exact shape as my trusty he’ll and back but with a much beefier construction of full wood core and 2 sheets of titanal. He happened to have a pair new in the wrapper. So I bought them last summer, and didn’t mount them all season due to low snow and then just laziness. The second to last day of the season had excellent conditions and dying to try them, I had the, mounted for closing day.

Review:
Wow, that construction changes the feel dramatically from my hell and back. On firm groomers they held an edge and tracked better than my monster 88. They were smooth and supriwingly quick edge to edge. More so than my hell and back. And smoother, damper and more solid than any ski I’ve ever been on except maybe the Kastle mx98. But that ski was such a beast, it kicked my ass. The 21m turn radius of the enforcer works well for me who is definitely a mere mortal. A couple of skiers in town ski the mx98 in the 194 and not sure how they do it.

As for bumps and more variable terrain, they were more challenging to ski than my monster or hell and back. Th monster gets its ease from its shorter size and th hell and back from its less firm flex. But considering it was my first few hours on the ski, it handled everything i there at it- bumps, packed pow steeps and a bit of slightly tracked out and set leftover fresh.. In the more challenging conditions, I could see the benefits of a tiny bit of tail rocker. I’ll detune the tail a bit to help the release next season. I’m also going to make sure I’m as strong as possible before getting on them early season or warm up on my easier skis. Over 2300g.per put them 10-20 percent heavier than a new ski design wo any taper as well thus the swing weight is a bit much as well.

Those same design elements have their advantage as well. They have insane grip w a full running length not decreased by taper. The weight gives them stability through roughed up end of day spring groomers that actually scared me how fast I was going. The skis were calm and confident, me not so much.

The takeaway is that a 6 year old ski design has way more stability and grip than today’s lighter skis in my opinion. But the cost is more energy and effort to ride them. Here’s hoping I have what it takes because they were a blast.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, the OG Enforcer was a wonderful ski. The new version is much, much less effort, but also a bit less rewarding, IMO.

I'm curious whether yours are the "real" OG without any tip rocker whatsoever, or the OG 1.5 that added just a smidge of that, but kept everything else the same.

TS
S

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Definitely the smidge. Exact same shape as my hell and back.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I thought the original Enforcer massively predated 12/13

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the original Enforcer massively predated 12/13

I can't remember the years, but IIRC, the OG was kind of maroon with a paisley graphic. The OG 1.5 was also kind of maroon, but maybe with a lightning bolt in there somewhere. These had the smidge of early rise.

If Nordica ever brought this ski back, it would win every test that had a category for "charger". Same shape as the Hell & Back, but FAR calmer at speed in chop.

But fond memories are a funny thing. I'd love to A/B this ski with the current Enforcer. The new one would probably win......

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Found your perspective on the different generations of the Enforcer really interesting. We come from different ends of the skiing chart and found the different models of this ski superior for totally different reasons. The Enforcer has been a hard charging beast through all of its incarnations, but they have mellowed a bit through the years, Kind of like me. On the 18 version of the Enforcer 100 this year and really love it. A bit slower edge to edge than my old Nordica Hell Divers (kind of an all mountain SL ski) but a bunch more forgiving with the early rise, and a longer turning radius. Their crud busting ability is off the charts but they will give old knees a workout in the bumps.

Spend a few days on the Enforcer 1.0 and 1.5 in their days and they were truly beasts. The harder you pushed them the more they wanted would wake up. Think the newest generation is a lot more forgiving in tight places like the trees and at slower speeds, and much easier to initiate turns. The bases seem almost bulletproof. The damn things will go faster than I do anymore, but I am old and slow.

Thinking of maybe adding the 93 to the quiver this year but want to put a day or two on them first.

TS
S

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
I can't remember the years, but IIRC, the OG was kind of maroon with a paisley graphic. The OG 1.5 was also kind of maroon, but maybe with a lightning bolt in there somewhere. These had the smidge of early rise.

If Nordica ever brought this ski back, it would win every test that had a category for "charger". Same shape as the Hell & Back, but FAR calmer at speed in chop.

But fond memories are a funny thing. I'd love to A/B this ski with the current Enforcer. The new one would probably win......

Yes, mine has the lightning bolt and a little early rise. Spot on about almer at speed. Personally I like this one better than the new but can understand most would prefer the new ones ease of turn. It’s just a bit too,easy for my style. I would love a mix of the two or just a smidge of tail rocker to ease release of the tail.

Sponsor

Staff online