• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are getting ready to go to SIA and will be meeting with many industry folks. Besides doing our "Live from the floor" reports, btw follow us on Twitter @Pugski_YSA. Along with meeting with manufacturers, we will be meeting with skiing icons and other industry professionals.

What questions would you liked asked to these folks?
  • Manufacturers (usually Product Managers)
  • Icon (Pro's present and past)
  • Buyers and shop owners?

Post them here and we can sort them out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anyone have wider ski boot lugs and binding width standards on the horizon? Would be nice to see a new standard that better matches the wider skis.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Better warmth performance criteria and/or ratings for clothing including coats, bibs and gloves. Especially for those of us that often ski in the frozen East under windy, 10F conditions. How warm will my hands / body really be ? Will I end up in frozen sweat or will I have breathable warmth? Often one must rely on the reviews of owners vs the ratings of manufactures.

Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
When will we have the miracle fabric for yoga pants on the slopes
genthumb.ashx

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do boot manufacturers consider a narrow woman's boot to be a 98 which is the same as a narrow man's boot? Many of us float around in a 98 and it's not just those who need a 22.5 boot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why do boot manufacturers consider a narrow woman's boot to be a 98 which is the same as a narrow man's boot? Many of us float around in a 98 and it's not just those who need a 22.5 boot.
A 98mm is usually based upon a 26.0 shell, so down to a 22, that boot could actually be 94mm but I see your point. But a good question is why do manufacturers think only expert skiers need narrow boots? Why are there no (or minimal) entry level, lower flex boots available in narrow lasts?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A 98mm is usually based upon a 26.0 shell, so down to a 22, that boot could actually be 94mm but I see your point. But a good question is why do manufacturers think only expert skiers need narrow boots? Why are there no (or minimal) entry level, lower flex boots available in narrow lasts?
Agreed! It's hard to progress while floating inside your boot. Interesting though. I thought that the 98 in a woman's boot was based on a 25.0 shell. I wear a 24.0, but everything is still too wide. On the bright side, this year I have decided to learn to ski with my boots loose. Since I have a developing neuroma perhaps that will be best.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Agreed! It's hard to progress while floating inside your boot. Interesting though. I thought that the 98 in a woman's boot was based on a 25.0 shell. I wear a 24.0, but everything is still too wide. On the bright side, this year I have decided to learn to ski with my boots loose. Since I have a developing neuroma perhaps that will be best.
It actually varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, most are 26, some are 25 and some are even 27. There are some softer flexing race boots like a Lange/Rossi ZJ's that are 93mm shells and can be softened to a 110ish flex.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It actually varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, most are 26, some are 25 and some are even 27. There are some softer flexing race boots like a Lange/Rossi ZJ's that are 93mm shells and can be softened to a 110ish flex.

Yes, I have considered racing boots and was in the process of exploring that option when my neuroma amped up. I am actually doing quite well with skiing the bottom 2 buckles loose while tightening the top (Chakra). So far it is all hard snow experimentation - drought and all. I am concerned what will happen in powder when I want more precision. I may try zip fits this season.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive

If I become an expert skier, will that narrow my feet? Or if you have wide-body feet you'll never be an expert?

(I know, there are good boots with wide lasts. I'm just venting the general frustration at having feet that don't fit the conventional understanding of "feet." I'm sure my narrow-lasted friends feel a similar frustration. Next life: D-width, normal instep.)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
If I become an expert skier, will that narrow my feet? Or if you have wide-body feet you'll never be an expert?

(I know, there are good boots with wide lasts. I'm just venting the general frustration at having feet that don't fit the conventional understanding of "feet." .)

YES same frustration here. Wide (3E or 4E) HVL boots are hard to find. I recently got the D width black and red Salomons that they heat in a box
and blow the toe way out ! Seem to fit well now !

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Actually there are a fair number of wide last boots: Noridica Nrgy Pro 1 & 3, Technica HVL series, Head Vector series, Lange SX's, Dalbello Boss and Aspect, Salomon X Pro series, etc...

Conversely, there are Lange RX 80 LV W and RX 100 for men. You can also soften most two piece shell boots if needed.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Actually there are a fair number of wide last boots: Noridica Nrgy Pro 1 & 3, Technica HVL series, Head Vector series, Lange SX's, Dalbello Boss and Aspect, Salomon X Pro series, etc...

Conversely, there are Lange RX 80 LV W and RX 100 for men. You can also soften most two piece shell boots if needed.

My boot fitter put me in the Boss; he gave them a sixth-toe punch last weekend. Nice boot. He doesn't carry Dalbello anymore. When I asked what he'd put me in now, he mentioned the Technicas, I think, Lange SX, and the K2 Spynes, too. Oh, there are plenty.

I'm just spewing disgust for those people who can step into just any boot (or shoe) and walk off happy.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The K2 spine isn't a high volume boot even it's 100 last version. I can't imagine a foot that both the boss and spine would be appropriate for.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
The K2 spine isn't a high volume boot even it's 100 last version. I can't imagine a foot that both the boss and spine would be appropriate for.

Hm. Don't know. I'd heard of the Spyne, so when he mentioned it, I asked about it's flex and construction, so I know it was the Spyne he mentioned.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I only know this because I fit boots as well. The Spyne boots encorporate a fair amount of Lange DNA but use a different connection between upper and lower cuff, and of course an intuition build liner. It's not a bad boot at all, but not in the same fit category as the Boss.

Sorry for the highjack... onward and back to the 20 questions.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
We are getting ready to go to SIA and will be meeting with many industry folks. Besides doing our "Live from the floor" reports, btw follow us on Twitter @Pugski_YSA. Along with meeting with manufacturers, we will be meeting with skiing icons and other industry professionals.

What questions would you liked asked to these folks?
  • Manufacturers (usually Product Managers)
  • Icon (Pro's present and past)
  • Buyers and shop owners?

Post them here and we can sort them out.

Phil, how about publishers and marketers? We need to ask them why they're selling the necessity to have 2' of blower and bluebird to make it worth showing up at the hill.

Sponsor

Staff online