• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2-3 Day Quick Trip Skiing In Denver - Destination advice?

rfjeff9

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I worked in Denver for a year in the 90s and really enjoyed skiing, and am thinking about a trip out there over a weekend since round trip flights from my hometown are so cheap. To keep cost low to allow more days, I am thinking of holing up in Denver and doing 1.5 hour drive in to whatever slopes are there now, sort of how I did 20 years ago. Back then I would tend to just hit Loveland since it was close and touched down a few times in Vail just to say I did it ( very nice experience but $$$$). But it has been awhile and I know there are a cluster of destinations right there within that drive time. And maybe some of these destinations have grown or are relatively new.

I am going solo the first couple times, so am wondering how things are now. Seems like I remember just renting skis, boots and buying lift tickets and that was it. Get a refillable water bottle and sunscreen and enjoy the day, right? Other than some food, are there any other incidentals or outright charges that I am overlooking for a day trip?

And for someone that loved it, does not really need lessons, but just maybe some green slopes what immediate destinations would be good to get my feet back into the game? Loveland, sure, but what else within that 1.5 hour drive from west Denver that isn't a major resort? Or perhaps a better question is - "Where do Denver residents go for a quick trip that has enough green to blue slopes?"

This should be the first of a series of 3-4 trips per year going forward, would like to get in the groove so I can take the kids next fall. Looks like it is economical quickly to just buy skis, so I will do that research in the meantime.

James

Out There
Instructor
Eldora?
Keystone
Not a ton of green/blue at Abasin.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Stay in the mountains if you can -- unless you really love being in Denver. It's not that much more expensive (depending on timing), and the I70 mess has gotten way worse in the last decade.

Rent skis for the whole time. If you can, prioritizing buying your own boots prior so you can get properly fitted.

The Vail resorts are very expensive on day passes. Loveland is a great choice, Copper is too if you can find a workable day-ticket price. Abasin lacks much easy terrain, but is still fun and a great vibe and comparatively inexpensive.

Skip Eldora. Day tickets there are north of $100 for worse skiing than anywhere else in the Denver area except Echo mountain.

mmascolino

Booting up
Skier
Winter Park is relatively close and can be a lot less crazy than Breck/Keystone/Vail. There is plenty of stuff there to keep an intermediate skiier happy and it has nicer amenities than say Loveland (of course that also means a higher price tag for tickets).

Also for planning purposes next year...3 to 4 days is very close to the break even point on the lower tier seasons pass at some of these mountains.

TS
rfjeff9

rfjeff9

Skier
Loveland is probably my first trip I think. Let me get back in the groove, then I will look at other places considering ticket prices and time.

Skis look pretty pricey considering they are no good without the bindings and boots. Guess I will rent the package for the duration. Maybe some day I find something for sale locally (fat chance).

What’s your opinion on this large size ski clothes? Can’t believe it’s here locally for sale, but don’t really know anything about ski clothes. I have a waterproof camo duck hunting jacket, but would prefer not to look like the biggest idiot out there.

Oh yeah, do these places require helmets?

E4D8F3CE-B5AE-4BCB-91E5-D3421DEBA461.jpeg

TS
rfjeff9

rfjeff9

Skier
Winter Park is relatively close and can be a lot less crazy than Breck/Keystone/Vail. There is plenty of stuff there to keep an intermediate skiier happy and it has nicer amenities than say Loveland (of course that also means a higher price tag for tickets).

Also for planning purposes next year...3 to 4 days is very close to the break even point on the lower tier seasons pass at some of these mountains.

So in other words, if I get the season pass and if I can make it 5 days skiing out there, I come out ahead? I thought about this before and wasn’t sure.

Biggest cost is still lodging 3 nights for the trip. Still, I have time to research I guess.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Helmets aren’t required but most people I know where them. As far as clothes go, the above would probably work. Maybe get some Nixwax or Grangers waterproofing treatment and hit it ahead of your trip. You might look at cost to stay in Georgetown or Idaho Springs. Also, rental cars at the airport tend to be expensive. If you train or Uber to a city rental car location you might save.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
If you going to be staying Denver on a weekend, I-70 traffic will be a bear. Eldora is our typical weekend spot, but get there early because the parking is limited. If you are staying in the mountains, there are plenty of good choices. We like Steamboat for reasonable elevation for sleeping.

dm

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I fly in for a few days I stay in Idaho Springs (The Miners Pick $99 S-Th, $119 F-S) and ski Loveland and Abasin. Depending on what time you get in you can drop your stuff off and ski the day of arrival. Eight days is the break even point for Abasin season pass (when purchased early), Loveland's is a bit higher.

Last edited:

mmascolino

Booting up
Skier
My friends live in a western Denver suburb (Lakewood). It is about 60-70 minutes drive to Winter Park so we day trip it.

Sponsor

Staff online