• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

~105mm playful all-mountain

Playful and versatile mid-fat (100-110mm waist) ski

• Head Kore 105

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Kastle BMX 105 (non-HP)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moment Deathwish

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

DrStep

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, guys!

I've already broke my head trying to choose the pair to my 80-mm salomon for funny 40/60 (piste/off-piste) riding, maybe you can help me :)

I'm 180cm (5'10-5'11) and 75kg intermediate skiier, don't want burly ski for hard charging all the time (so not looking at something like Cochise), but want to have an opportunity work agressively on piste and have fun time off with good float. Prefer playful, maneuverable and well controlled skis over super stable (if we speak about such trade-offs).

Trying to search Holy Grail finished with 3 ski (I can't test them, so it's just blind choice) and all of them have some compromises (all in 180-184 height):
1) Head Kore 105 - I've read, that they are not the best in terms of quality and durability, but looks like it will be ok
2) Kastle BMX 105 (non-HP) - looks like it's pretty hard charging ski with pretty big weight for me (2.14kg per ski) and I'm not sure about it's playfullness (for example, is it ok for bumb-jumping or something like that)?
3) Moment Deathwish - I was looking for good hardpack abilities, so 112mm waist can be really overkill on firm groomers... But so many people say, that they are pretty versitale

I will buy one of this in the end of this week just because I'm sooo tired of reading all these reveiws, so I hope, you will help me :)

Thanks in advance!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
In your listing of 3 skis, the only one that is "fun" would be the Deathwish as the other two are more traditionally mounted, directional skis. The thought of "these are fun and playful" never entered my mind skiing the Kore or BMX 105 compared to the plenty of other more free ride/freestyle options out there that would be probably be more to your liking.

You mention the Cochise and don't mention the obvious option for your requests which is the Blizzard Rustler 10 or Rustler 11 models. They have metal only underfoot with softer, more playful tip/tail with more modern, forward binding mounts. They are nice and light but still hold a great edge with the Rustler 10 of course quicker edge to edge but not as good float or as good through crud as the Rustler 11. I'm getting the Rustler 9 myself for this year for similar use on harder snow.

I have the Head Collective 105 myself which is more of a heavy charger but I purchased the Line Sir Francis Bacon as "fun/playful" ski in the 104mm width. Another forward mounted ski with med flex throughout so that it's decent on piste but very good in powder for it's width. Look at any review online of these skis and everyone mentions how fun they are to ski.

Faction Candide 2.0 and 3.0 would be other skis to consider that are more freestyle geared but work great as an all mountain playful ski if you mount them a bit back of the Candide line. ON3P Kartel 108 would be another ski that is very fun all other the hill but can still hold a decent edge on piste.

Moment PB & J would be better than the Deathwish on harder snow as it's only 101mm underfoot and it's stiffer than the Deathwish. More like a "playful charger" like the Moment Bibby/Wildcat skis are. More charger/less playful than the Deathwish.

If I were to choose a ski blind for you, the Rustler 10 in 180cm or Line SFB in 184cm would be my top 2 picks.

TS
D

DrStep

Skier
In your listing of 3 skis, the only one that is "fun" would be the Deathwish as the other two are more traditionally mounted, directional skis. The thought of "these are fun and playful" never entered my mind skiing the Kore or BMX 105 compared to the plenty of other more free ride/freestyle options out there that would be probably be more to your liking.

You mention the Cochise and don't mention the obvious option for your requests which is the Blizzard Rustler 10 or Rustler 11 models. They have metal only underfoot with softer, more playful tip/tail with more modern, forward binding mounts. They are nice and light but still hold a great edge with the Rustler 10 of course quicker edge to edge but not as good float or as good through crud as the Rustler 11. I'm getting the Rustler 9 myself for this year for similar use on harder snow.

I have the Head Collective 105 myself which is more of a heavy charger but I purchased the Line Sir Francis Bacon as "fun/playful" ski in the 104mm width. Another forward mounted ski with med flex throughout so that it's decent on piste but very good in powder for it's width. Look at any review online of these skis and everyone mentions how fun they are to ski.

Faction Candide 2.0 and 3.0 would be other skis to consider that are more freestyle geared but work great as an all mountain playful ski if you mount them a bit back of the Candide line. ON3P Kartel 108 would be another ski that is very fun all other the hill but can still hold a decent edge on piste.

Moment PB & J would be better than the Deathwish on harder snow as it's only 101mm underfoot and it's stiffer than the Deathwish. More like a "playful charger" like the Moment Bibby/Wildcat skis are. More charger/less playful than the Deathwish.

If I were to choose a ski blind for you, the Rustler 10 in 180cm or Line SFB in 184cm would be my top 2 picks.

Thanks for your reply, Greg!
Yeah, I think about Rustler, but where I from there is a bit difficult to get it for normal price (but Cochise/Bonafide - easy, pretty strange).

Is Faction Candide 2.0 not a park orientired ski? I want it to be able to work on a big mountains too, so I need some some stability at speed.

Will look at Line SFB, thanks!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Faction Candide 2.0 and 3.0 would be other skis to consider that are more freestyle geared but work great as an all mountain playful ski if you mount them a bit back of the Candide line.

Yep, the 3.0 is my go to pow and leftover stick. :thumb: and, 2 to 2.5 back. I would go 3.0 over the 2.0.

TS
D

DrStep

Skier
Icelantic Nomad 105, fun

What about hardpack with Icelantic? This is the fact that it will be nice in powder, but not sure about hardpack...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
wait! do you want a soft snow/powder ski or a hardback snow ski? Which is more important? where are you skiing, what kind of terrain are you skiing? Lets figure out what you want first, then find the ski that comes closest. I don't consider any ~105 (or anything above 98 for that matter) that I would consider as an all mountain ski.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What about hardpack with Icelantic? This is the fact that it will be nice in powder, but not sure about hardpack...
In the Upper Midwest we have both, more hard than soft. No problem with the hard pack. I got these skis for a friend last year, intermediate, usually did park before. Coming back from knee surgery. He loved them! Did most of his skiing in Upper Michigan where powder does exists and so does groomers. :)

TS
D

DrStep

Skier
wait! do you want a soft snow/powder ski or a hardback snow ski? Which is more important? where are you skiing, what kind of terrain are you skiing? Lets figure out what you want first, then find the ski that comes closest. I don't consider any ~105 (or anything above 98 for that matter) that I would consider as an all mountain ski.

I want 40/60 on/off-piste (or even 30/70). It's nice to ski only powder most of the time, but I skiing european resorts and it depends: often there is a problem with soft snow... With 105mm wide I want not only floatation, but also more stability in not ideal off-piste condition with a good balance of stability/playfullness

TS
D

DrStep

Skier
In the Upper Midwest we have both, more hard than soft. No problem with the hard pack. I got these skis for a friend last year, intermediate, usually did park before. Coming back from knee surgery. He loved them! Did most of his skiing in Upper Michigan where powder does exists and so does groomers. :)

Sounds good!

Thanks, guys, I will consider Candide 3.0 and 105 Icelantic :)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
well, personally, for that kind of skiing, I would look for something more like a 88-95. for reference, I ski a Stockli AX (78) for my everyday ski for anything up to 4-5" of powder/leftovers. I will be skiing a Stockli 88 this season for off piste and bumps for soft snow days and I grab my Faction 3.0 for 6" plus days since they are so much fun. I don't need a 108 wide ski for anything under 8-10" but they are a blast to ski on. I have far more fun on a groomer on a narrow ski so I wouldn't want to lose out on the performance and fun factor for groomer days on a really wide ski. Plus, wide skis on firm/hard snow is hard on knees!

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
No doubt, great ski but not for groomers

It handles groomers just fine. Especially the new version which has less rocker than the original and is stiffer as well.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I have demoed it. I am not looking for "just fine" in a groomer ski. its not intended as a groomer ski nor is it where it excels. the OP is looking for a 70/30 front side ski.

gwasson

Skier
Yes, I have demoed it. I am not looking for "just fine" in a groomer ski. its not intended as a groomer ski nor is it where it excels. the OP is looking for a 70/30 front side ski.

I have the original version, and can ski fast carved groomers all day. Here is snow magazine's review of the new one, they like it on groomers too.

What really surprises us is how they perform on groomed slopes, not at all feeling like the 105mm wide ski they are - cranking turns on hardpack, firmly placing them in the one ski quiver category. Are they true all mountain skis? Yes they are and combined with a classic K2 look and a great price, they're a true winner too.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
im not going to argue this with you. Ski what you like but as a pugski tester I can't recommend this ski as an all mountain 70% groomer ski

gwasson

Skier
im not going to argue this with you. Ski what you like but as a pugski tester I can't recommend this ski as an all mountain 70% groomer ski

Ok, I'm out, but he wants the opposite. 30% groomer.

"I want 40/60 on/off-piste (or even 30/70)"

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
"I want 40/60 on/off-piste (or even 30/70)"

my bad- dyslexia, but i am still in the same frame of thought of a 88+/- ski.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon QST 106.

I haven’t yet tried the Fischer Ranger FR 102 but I think it might fit your description pretty well.

Sponsor

Staff online