• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zwift?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Normally I'd never even entertain the thought, but what does it take to get started with zwift?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Connected trainer, iPad & membership.

I’m looking into it right now (on hold).

scott43

Skier
Trainer has to be "smart"..communicate with the software. You can use PC not just iPad. Bottom line, probably a good $400 for the trainer plus the membership. Good trainers are like $1000 or something. I've thought of it..I think I'd be killed if I tried to get that past my financial advisor...

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Trainer has to be "smart"..communicate with the software. You can use PC not just iPad. Bottom line, probably a good $400 for the trainer plus the membership. Good trainers are like $1000 or something. I've thought of it..I think I'd be killed if I tried to get that past my financial advisor...
Sounds more like a financial manager:cool: I have one of those too.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Re. the special trainer: Clever Training is having their spring VIP sale right now, so 20% discounts to be had on a number of smart trainers. I just added a Tacx Flux to my cart to test. Says coupons don't apply, but it worked. There's a DCRainmaker discount code for VIP membership. Picked up a Saris H3 in the last VIP sale and it's awesome.

What are you looking at using Zwift for? Entertainment? The gamifcation aspect is kind of cool, but their training plans are felt highly mediocre if you have any prior knowledge of structured training at all. I dropped my Zwift membership in the fall and switched full time to TrainerRoad.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wanted to add, you don't actually need a smart trainer for Zwift. It's just more immersive if you do. Other options:

- any random trainer + power meter connected by bluetooth or ANT
- "dumb" (traditional) trainer from their list of trainers with known power curves + cadence sensor + calibrated speed sensor

Obviously neither of these will change resistance with the "terrain" but you'll at least see the speed on screen change with power output + simulated gradient.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I use Zwift with a Wahoo direct drive and both have been self-isolation saviours for me. I’m not into structured training programs, so the Zwift workouts are fine for me when I use them. I like the social aspect of Zwift... I can ride with friends or just join a group ride, and the routes add some “movement” vs just staring at a power output screen. Also.... direct drive is worth the $$. I got the Kickr Core which is as fancy as I need. Worlds better than a wheel-on trainer, surprisingly realistic road feel, even climbing feels pretty real. I couldn’t tolerate my trainer before the wahoo... but now I‘m easily putting in over 5hrs per week without getting too bored. Absolutely can’t wait to NOT be riding inside... but where I live it’s winter for basically 9months, so gotta do whatever I can to stay in biking shape.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Been using Zwift for several years. First gen Wahoo smart trainer. I had trainer road as well but just can’t stand the monotony of looking at the workout plan vs output.

Not so sure I’d agree that the Zwift training plans are not good - if fact - there is a lot of similarity. Structured, power based training is just that - the platform is the difference. To be fair - a lot of plans and workouts have been added to Zwift over the past year. TrainerRoad has more. But I just couldn’t get through an hour of TrainerRoad my brain would shut down. Accuracy seems pretty good on both. I have an SRM on road bike and it’s dead on with Zwift and TR.

For me the difference is the interface - at least the scenery changes within Zwift. It’s also kind of wild to be riding and see a pro rider go by. I like to just go for a ride when it’s raining on Zwift platform. Or on a weekend - decide I want to ride Alpe de Zwift .

id look on whatever local cycling web market - used Wahoos go for $400- $600 Around here. Work fine. If you have a disc bike, might have to get an adapter for older trainers - I’d did in order to use my OPEN.

all said - I’d rather ride outside. Even with social distacing by myself. Also, on our early spring rides (group) you can easily see the difference smart training inside has made- they are almost as spicy as mid summer now - “winter pace” does not exist.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not so sure I’d agree that the Zwift training plans are not good - if fact - there is a lot of similarity. Structured, power based training is just that - the platform is the difference. To be fair - a lot of plans and workouts have been added to Zwift over the past year.
Fair enough. It's been a while since I've looked at Zwift's plans. My complaint when I last used them was mostly that 1) they had less clearly defined periodization and mostly just progressed to harder versions of what you were already doing and 2) recovery intervals too hard, hard intervals too easy so ineffective polarization. This may have changed recently. I usually have TR open minimized and Netflix full screened which helps with the boredom.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@zircon - no worries. they have adapted the workouts a bit. They have one plan that was done by Hunter Allen, i believe, and a lot of other coaches. My only problem with them is if you sign-up for a plan and miss a workout (say because you were traveling for your job) you cant go back and start where you left off. TR is no non-sense, Zwift keeps my boredom away. Also, a lot of coach/training centers here are distributing their workouts onto trainingpeaks or something and then letting you upload into Zwift - so you can get that specific workout but have the interface of Zwift somehow.

Both are really good. think its a matter of how your brain works.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Normally I'd never even entertain the thought, but what does it take to get started with zwift?

Smart bike trainer, computer/ipad/phone and a tv screen. TV is optional.

Smart bike trainer is also optional but you will need speed and cadence sensors if you use a roller.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trainer has to be "smart"..communicate with the software.

Not necessarily. You need something to feed the speed and cadence data to ZWIFT software and this could be sensors-like the Garmin sensors. In this case you can use "dumb" trainer :):)
Of course a proper smart trainer is the best as it also feeds power data to ZWIFT and also a heart rate monitor but one can get on Zwift without having to break the bank.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use Zwift with a Wahoo direct drive and both have been self-isolation saviours for me.

IMG_7672.jpg

Isolation? Never heard of her... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

BTW although I do have a Zwift subscription I use it infrequently as I find it too crowded. Much prefer Tacx software and FulGaz as I can ride there as I do it most often in real life-alone.

scott43

Skier
So...if y'all had to guess...when do you think gyms will reopen?? Do I pop for a new trainer or suck it and wait for riding/gyms to open...

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So...if y'all had to guess...when do you think gyms will reopen?? Do I pop for a new trainer or suck it and wait for riding/gyms to open...

I use a trainer as part of my structured training to complement my outdoor riding. I also had a subscription to Bkool (similar to Ful Gaz), but decided to move over to Zwift because a lot of my riding friends were on Zwift. We schedule group rides together on Zwift and use the discord app to talk to one another while we are zwifting. I upgraded my trainer to the Kickr and also got the Climb attachment, which lifts the front of the bike or lowers depending on the elevation of the route. I use the Zwift workout builder to customize my structured training and do the workout while joining a Zwift ride. For me, Zwift is a game changer with respect to indoor riding and training until I can get out on the road or on mixed terrain for longer than 45 - 50 miles at a time.

Sponsor

Staff online