• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would say objectively zipperline is useful if you are in a tight or crowded area and need to keep your line narrow.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
As usual, the same words mean different things to different people. To me, there is a fuzzy boundary between ZL and not ZL. Competition bump skiing is obviously ZL. If you ski a reasonably direct line on a double line of bumps (like the teeth on the two sides of a zipper), and make absorption/extension the primary speed control mechanism, I'm fairly sure everyone would call that ZL. But where is the limit? There are lines that stay in that double line of bumps (the zipper teeth) that I would not call ZL.

That's why competition event make the formation uniform.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
That's why competition event make the formation uniform.

so they need to make the bumps a certain way for the tactics chosen to work well?

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
first I never said dont have it your tool box, my entire point is even if it is in your tool box, when its actually better than skiing a round line? It kind of like skiing on your inside ski, most good skiers can do it, but you would never TRY to do it.

so far the posters who have been arguing in favor off ZL, especially in the rec bump thread, have shown to not be verstile, because as I am saying, that technique dead ends you to skiing bumps, formed by people who ski that way.

Having had skied with two bump Olympic Gold medalist, one who was supremely versatile, and I never once saw him zipperline(in the fallline yes) and bumps all day long. The other who literally just zipperlines and will fall apart when the zipper isnt there and she is supposely world class, she doesnt even want you to film her unless she is in ZL bumps.

I would venture to say on most real world bump runner, if someone can zipperline it, flat ski GS turning can be faster.I realize this is kind of silly argument since even few people can legit gs turn though a bump field and it takes TONS of energy, in the end though I can and have out paced literally best in the world bumpers doing this, a quote by someone I was showing around Stowe who has 2 olymipic medals "you ski like a rabbit on cocaine, can you please slow down" I dont think he liked that I could out paced him easily on bump runs...maybe I am going to have to go get some video of that style skiing...but its ugly, its very ugly. Realize though the bumps were on, were real world bumps at stowe which tend to be irregular and round, having been on a WC bump course at various places, there is no way I could GS turn though that, the bumps are way more Z shaped than C shaped.

It sounds to me like you're asking if ZL is an effective means of travel. The answer is that if you want to get somewhere quickly in a narrow corridor then, yes, it is an effective means of travel. But, I don't think that's a useful perspective. When skis are a primary means of travel, you may have some very good points. I don't use skis to travel. It's kind of like pointing out that when a gymnast does a triple back handspring across the floor, you say what's the point of all those flips, I can run that distance faster. The purpose of ZL is for fun, physical activity, development, and competition. It's not to get from point A to point B.

I've seen Olympic mogul skiers that can zipper line pretty much any bump formation. I don't mind bad bump shapes. I still have fun, just some are more fun than others. Some are easier than others. The fact that some shapes are harder keeps the sport alive for me, because there's always that next level to work on to improve.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
so they need to make the bumps a certain way for the tactics chosen to work well?

yes and no. The bumps were made uniform to ensure fairness, the techniques evolved.

Last edited:

n black

Booting up
Skier
Side slipping is probably one of the most energy intensive way to come down an bump run. All the braking force comes from the skier. Literally fighting gravity all the way down. Even the gravity assisted forward motion down the hill is challenged by the skier.
Both the zipper line and the wide line allow the gravity assisted downhill travel to occur naturally with little or no energy input from the skier. The means and method for braking varies slightly between the two.

Yeah - my argument there was definitely a stretch, but I guess my point there is if all you have in your toolbox is a very meager set of skiing skills, side slipping may be the only way you'll get down the hill (except maybe walking?) because if that misplaced skier really attempts to ski it, they'll be on their head and butt the whole way down. I know we've all seen those poor skiers who give up on a mogul run and walk or side slip down. But, true, my argument was not generally the best there.

first I never said dont have it your tool box, my entire point is even if it is in your tool box, when its actually better than skiing a round line? It kind of like skiing on your inside ski, most good skiers can do it, but you would never TRY to do it.

Now on this one I'd say Josh's argument really wasn't very convincing either. Comparing a ZL run to skiing only on your inside ski doesn't seem a fair comparison. A ZL run is an entirely effective way to make it happen. I'd be the last to say it's the best, or only way - as I tried to state, I think it's one component of skill breadth. But the fact remains that the many who do ski the ZL regularly are proof that it's an accepted way to get the job done, and according to some, done with a high level of skill. Skiing only on your inside ski is at best a drill, or just a cute trick, but definitely not a mainstream form of skiing.

Fun argument, though.

From a purely personal point of view, I like playing with all the ways mentioned here (and in other threads) of getting down the run. The variety, including ZL (at times), is part of what keeps me doing this for so many decades. Anecdote: one day, way back a long time ago, when we got done for the day training in the gates, we set a SL/GS-ish course on a mogul run and it was absolutely hilarious. Nobody got hurt - except maybe a few egos - and we laughed about that for years.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Are you sure you have been to Taos?

Slim working hard in his office off top of chair #2.

Slim-slidell.jpg

Slim-slidell_01.jpg

Here is the two of us having a quiet talk about summer work opportunities on the last day of the 2016 season at the top of the world.

4.jpg

Got to get on with the program.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
....... I don't mind bad bump shapes. I still have fun, just some are more fun than others. Some are easier than others. The fact that some shapes are harder keeps the sport alive for me, because there's always that next level to work on to improve.

I go to different ski areas to ski the bumps formed by other skiers and riders, In addition, to some places that will seed a formation for the public and the area's freestyle team. I like it for the challenge, the variety and it forces me to work on things I neglected. IMO, I am seeing definite replies/remarks which are based from insular pov due to skiing in one resort.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I go to different ski areas to ski the bumps formed by other skiers and riders, In addition, to some places that will seed a formation for the public and the area's freestyle team. I like it for the challenge, the variety and it forces me to work on things I neglected. IMO, I am seeing definite replies/remarks which are based from insular pov due to skiing in one resort.

My personal experience is based on skiing Thredbo and Perisher Blue in Australia, and Big White, Sun Peaks and Silver Star in Canada. Nary a WC mogul style skier to be seen. The one exception being Perisher Blue in the training area for the mogul comp skiers - not open to the general public. Of course I could be merely unobservant.

How many resorts do you consider a fair and reasonable number in which to base an opinion?

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
My personal experience is based on skiing Thredbo and Perisher Blue in Australia, and Big White, Sun Peaks and Silver Star in Canada. Nary a WC mogul style skier to be seen. The one exception being Perisher Blue in the training area for the mogul comp skiers - not open to the general public. Of course I could be merely unobservant.

How many resorts do you consider a fair and reasonable number in which to base an opinion?

Yes, you're unobservant.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you can do it isn't it faster to go straight down, like on blue trail bumps? Say the easy part of National under the lift at stowe. I've zipperlined that so surely any expert skiers could crush it by going straight. I've seen them.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that may be it. For those unfamiliar they don't understand the fun or excitement. I also have trouble divorcing "zipperline" in my head, from "very high impact bump banging" even though I know ZL doesn't have to be that way. I have to keep telling myself that as I read these threads.

I guess I feel the same way to a certain extent but my mental conflict is most of the videos are what I perceive as ZL bump skiing that looks very energy intensive. But, on the hill when I see someone in the bumps that catches my eye, it looks very smooth and efficient. Maybe it’s the difference of video versus real time in person, but that’s not my perception.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If you can do it isn't it faster to go straight down, like on blue trail bumps? Say the easy part of National under the lift at stowe. I've zipperlined that so surely any expert skiers could crush it by going straight. I've seen them.

technically liftline, but yes you can easily go straight though those, and they are some of the few bump on the hill that actually form a zipper. You may have even seen me......

Status
Not open for further replies.