• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zipfits v Foamed liners

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm in a new shell since last year which while they have the right punches and are generally dandy in particular still cause me to blow up my little pinkie toe on one foot ( result of old damage which makes it particularly sensitive).

I'm not overly enamoured of the stock liner (Atomic gold?) and was wondering whether a little pronation is causing the toe problem.

So any ideas whether a foamed liner ( probably Sidas as Boot Doc doesn't seem to be available over here) or Zipfit might be the solution. I've always been wary of Zipfits because of the reports of 3 days of foot crushing pain while breaking them in.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
the break in on zipfit is no worse than that of foam, some people it takes 3 days others it is a day and if the shell shape is right i wouldn't describe it as "foot crushing"

what zipfit will do is give you more space around the forefoot whilst giving a very solid fit in the mid foot/rear foot areas, you can top up the compound if it packs a bit, it is warmer than a foam injection liner and can be transferred to a different shell should you want to move it in the future

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
i should add that if the toe pressure is being caused by the foot abducting due to pronation, it is worth addressing that issue first or at least at the same time

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't say...do you have a proper foodbed or the stock one?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in a new shell since last year which while they have the right punches and are generally dandy in particular still cause me to blow up my little pinkie toe on one foot ( result of old damage which makes it particularly sensitive).

I'm not overly enamoured of the stock liner (Atomic gold?) and was wondering whether a little pronation is causing the toe problem.

So any ideas whether a foamed liner ( probably Sidas as Boot Doc doesn't seem to be available over here) or Zipfit might be the solution. I've always been wary of Zipfits because of the reports of 3 days of foot crushing pain while breaking them in.
With 80 days on my stock liners I had started to over tighten buckles to keep the same feel as when new.
My first day in Zip Fits was not crushing foot pain, it was relief as I backed the buckles off at least one tooth more on the two lower buckles and 1-2 teeth on the top two buckles than when my stock liners were new.

Last edited:

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've always been wary of Zipfits because of the reports of 3 days of foot crushing pain while breaking them in.

I was worried a bit when i took the plunge with zipfits... but they were fantastic from day one.

• I'd already been using the OEM Atomic liner, so the Hawx shell had been heat moulded etc etc already, so the shell was already a good fit
  • I'd recommend fitting the zipfits first thing in the morning, then go ski immediately while they're still hot/warm...
  • fitting involved ( after shell check and choosing the gara model) heating the liners in the oven used for heat mouldable boot shells... in others very hot - not just a hot air blower/dryer
  • feet in hot liners, laced up and into shells and clamped up fairly tight - not as tight as a foam fit, but more than usual buckle tension..
  • walk around ,flexing boot/liner - this is quite different from usual. Flexing and moving helps all the zipfit goop 'omfit' move around, and because it's also so hot this also helps things move... and after 15 mins or so, you'll find any initial pressure points should be dissipated and have a more even pressure over whole foot and leg.
  • Take your feet and liner out of boot, and liners off, have a chat and advice on how to put them on etc. Definitely have a good boot dryer or heated boot bag - that'll help that omfit move and settle into place every day.
  • I went straight to the slopes and skied while liner was still good and warm and was absolutely delighted and quite astonished... i'll add that because you're laced into the liner which itself has great heel hold, the buckle tightness you need on the shell is far, far less than 'usual'. No need to use your palm/ heel of your hand to crank on the buckles to crush the shell onto the liner to then close that liner onto your foot... just a one finger clip tightness is fine which means easier blood flow to your feet and toes, and the impossible dream of performance and all day comfort.
  • use your boot dryer, heated boot bag to get them warmed up when you wake up or driving to resort and you'll be one happy bunny.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Obviously no two foot issues are the same, but I had some inflammation issues around my heel that would be exacerbated by any amount of movement in the heel; i.e., if I buckled loosely to just walk around the base lodge, I'd feel it.

At any rate, I went with foamed liners (boot doc). Getting them done made me want to amputate my foot (i.e., talk about "crushing"), but the break-in period of actually skiing them was zero.

I don't know if it's the improved heel hold from it being a custom fit, from using lace-ups or just a different material "close to the skin" that caused my discomfort to vanish, but at the end of the day my feet feel like they've been in bedroom slippers.

No experience with ZipFits as there wasn't a dealer I could find near me. I thought that lace-ups would be a royal pain, but they really aren't. I use a hot gear bag to keep the shells nice and warm so they slip right on (you can get big shoe horns as well to help even more) and a hair dryer warms them up enough at the end of the day so they slip right off.

i.e., basically my experience with foamed liners matches @coops ' experience with Zipfits.

TS
fatbob

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Umm yeah. I'm not gonna travel with a hair dryer on top of all the other crap just to get my boots off....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a custom foam liner (Boot Doc) that I had to stop using after my feet changed 2 seasons ago, causing pain. The high density foam doesn’t have much give, less than I needed given the changes in my foot.

Because my Tecnica shells were such a PITA to get on and off, I opted for a new, 3 piece boot (Roxa) with Intuition liner. Love these things....comfy and good performance and much better warmth. More toe room, which I wanted. I had to adjust my skiing a tad but I can ski all day and feel great, unlike the previous season.

I still have Zipfits in great condition from 4-5 seasons ago. They should fit great in my Roxa shell but damn....I struggled unsuccessfully to get them in the shell after heating them and having them on my feet. Have no clue why....they fit in a Lange boot with a slightly narrower last and same mondo point. I probably am just inept, lol. I don’t need them at the moment but it would be nice to again experience that amazing fit and performance, and yes, warmth,

I work part time in a ski shop and will probably take them in for my boss (and bootfitter) to play with on a slow day. The slight “give” of the Zipfit and Intuition seems to be healthier for my feet.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

So any ideas whether a foamed liner ( probably Sidas as Boot Doc doesn't seem to be available over here) or Zipfit might be the solution. I've always been wary of Zipfits because of the reports of 3 days of foot crushing pain while breaking them in.[/QUOTE

I first got my Zipfits at Snowbird (Christy’s). The bootfitter was excellent and well versed in Zipfits. On my first day, he heated them, and my shell, put me in the liner, then I slid my liner-clad foot into the shell. I took the tram up to Mineral Basin, and, standing there, my feet went numb. Uh-oh. But he had warned me this may be the case, and to just ski easy stuff. So I skied the groomers up there and within 20 minutes or so my feet settled in and they felt great. No pain, just excellent (better than ever before) fit and, warmth.

However, putting them on in the AM was a chore and I went back to the bootfitter for help one morning, to discover that some freeride skiers (guys a million times better than I) were there for the very same purpose. So I didn’t feel stupid,

If I could learn to dial them in again, I’d be ecstatic. The advantage of Zipfit is that the cork fluid will flow and readjust as needed, and the forefoot is a softer foam. If your foot has minor changes, the Zipfit can change with it.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Umm yeah. I'm not gonna travel with a hair dryer on top of all the other crap just to get my boots off....

You can always use the hand dryer in the bathroom, like this, lol.....

18BF3563-95F1-4C10-9F6F-A34E51D5BB45.jpeg

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I love my zipfits, but I had to do some serious mods to get them where I need them. Sven uses too much material around the rear cuff which pushes the skier too far forward, especially in a forward leaning boot like the raptor.

I have the leather gara with the sidewinder plastic. I ripped off all the plastic cuffs on the rear uppers. I removed the strap since it's not needed at all when it has laces already. I juice the hell out of the tongue with the cork from my previous pair.

After this, I don't get pushed too forward, and even though my heel is locked in I can still roll my feet for turn initiation. Absolutely perfect.

Also, I always put the liners on before my shells and remove my shells before my liners. Way easier in-n-out and it doesn't push the molding around which would mess up the fit.

If I didn't know the mods to make I would hate them and I think that's why some people do hate them, but once you know how to work with them I don't think there is anything out there that even comes close to providing the control they offer and the comfort is unreal. After a few punches on my Raptor 140rs, I can ski all day, full buckle and never feel discomfort. The only time I unbuckle is when it is super cold.
I have skied several runs without my boots buckled and forgot because the liners provide so much control.

The key.... knowing how to work with them.

Who are they for?.... Anyone willing to put in a little work for an amazing fit.
.... Anyone with low ankle volume.
....Anyone wanting to feel like their heel is epoxied to their ski.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can always use the hand dryer in the bathroom, like this, lol.....

View attachment 80373

I had a hard time feeling like I got my boots on properly booting up at the car the first few months with the Zips even with a heated bag.

They got much easier when the only option was booting up in a tree well on High Rustler at Alta after hiking up and running out of gas so close to the top.
I’ll never let Mrsjmills be ready 15 minutes quicker than me like last season

F501A51C-4591-4B8C-8462-43AAB6930DC7.jpeg
830E281A-F728-4C23-A999-514281E7EFDF.jpeg

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a hard time feeling like I got my boots on properly booting up at the car the first few months with the Zips even with a heated bag.

They got much easier when the only option was booting up in a tree well on High Rustler at Alta after hiking up and running out of gas so close to the top.
I’ll never let Mrsjmills be ready 15 minutes quicker than me like last season

View attachment 80548 View attachment 80549

Wait..you carried your ski boots hiking up?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my zipfits, but I had to do some serious mods to get them where I need them. Sven uses too much material around the rear cuff which pushes the skier too far forward, especially in a forward leaning boot like the raptor.

I have the leather gara with the sidewinder plastic. I ripped off all the plastic cuffs on the rear uppers. I removed the strap since it's not needed at all when it has laces already. I juice the hell out of the tongue with the cork from my previous pair.

After this, I don't get pushed too forward, and even though my heel is locked in I can still roll my feet for turn initiation. Absolutely perfect.

Also, I always put the liners on before my shells and remove my shells before my liners. Way easier in-n-out and it doesn't push the molding around which would mess up the fit.

If I didn't know the mods to make I would hate them and I think that's why some people do hate them, but once you know how to work with them I don't think there is anything out there that even comes close to providing the control they offer and the comfort is unreal. After a few punches on my Raptor 140rs, I can ski all day, full buckle and never feel discomfort. The only time I unbuckle is when it is super cold.
I have skied several runs without my boots buckled and forgot because the liners provide so much control.

The key.... knowing how to work with them.

Who are they for?.... Anyone willing to put in a little work for an amazing fit.
.... Anyone with low ankle volume.
....Anyone wanting to feel like their heel is epoxied to their ski.

Yeah, I am aware of the getting pushed too far forward issue; that happened with a pair of Langes I had. My current boots are more upright so might be OK.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I little silicon spray in the boot shell goes a long way in getting the liner(Zipfit in my case) to slide right on in, and out. This proved much easier than pulling my foot out of the stock liner on a cold day. My technique is: Boot on the ground, unbuckled, drive knee forward, pushing palm of hand on back of boot cuff top, and lift foot back and out. Pops right out.
LindseyB has the same thing going on with his setup as mine - foot to far forward in Raptor + ZipFit. I just haven’t gotten around to removing the Omfit from the back.
Any tight fitting boot will benefit for a heated boot bag in the AM. I can’t see myself not using one now I’m spoiled.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I have a warmer cable coming out the back of the Zips I have them covered with Gaffer tape, then Gorilla duct, I've also taken the Dremel to the inside of the shell to knock down anything jagged and taped the shell with gaffer tape, then silicone spray.
I am one with my skis because of my Zips. I also just upgraded my heated bag to a @KULKEA @Philpug and since have seen them listed on KSL classifieds for a price that seems like they fell off the back of a truck. :ogcool:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I little silicon spray in the boot shell goes a long way in getting the liner(Zipfit in my case) to slide right on in, and out. This proved much easier than pulling my foot out of the stock liner on a cold day. My technique is: Boot on the ground, unbuckled, drive knee forward, pushing palm of hand on back of boot cuff top, and lift foot back and out. Pops right out.
LindseyB has the same thing going on with his setup as mine - foot to far forward in Raptor + ZipFit. I just haven’t gotten around to removing the Omfit from the back.
Any tight fitting boot will benefit for a heated boot bag in the AM. I can’t see myself not using one now I’m spoiled.

Fyi, I didn't remove any OMfit.

I cut out the "sidewinder plastic" to look more in line with a non sidewinder liner. The sidewinder plastic was pushing my ankle to the outside of the boot and I was "over edged". Then I took an exacto knife to the vinyl and padding surrounding the rear cuff. I also belt sanded the plastic to be thinner and conforming to my raptor cuff. This, along with injecting a ton of OMfit in the tongue got me as upright as the stock liner.

It might look like a hack job, but it skis amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_7120.JPG
    IMG_7120.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 173