• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Tom K.

We are just doing what we were told, and the guy/fitter is not a beginner, came highly recommended

It's all good. Do whatever works for you. Just know that if you have a really tight shell fit in a high performance/race boot, that would never work (at least not without some unnecessary pain).

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's all good. Do whatever works for you. Just know that if you have a really tight shell fit in a high performance/race boot, that would never work (at least not without some unnecessary pain).

I am a beginner in an oversized boot so it is not an issue. No race boots for me!!!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Walked into Olympic Boot Works yesterday at 4:30PM after skiing. There must have been 20 people crammed in there and 2 boot fitters. I'll try calling during the week...
That is what they call "Happy Hour." Try going earlier, but not during the '"skiesta."

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
So, after 300+ days on my Zipfits, they are still going strong except that their exteriors are totally thrashed from multiple insertions and extractions into/out of the shells.

Have other experienced the same? What did you do? Try to cover the abraded spots with something or just let it be?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So, after 300+ days on my Zipfits, they are still going strong except that their exteriors are totally thrashed from multiple insertions and extractions into/out of the shells.

Have other experienced the same? What did you do? Try to cover the abraded spots with something or just let it be?

I make sure that my shells are smooth and catch-free on the inside. This requires sanding or dremeling areas of the interior shell to smooth the offending areas. I also use silicone spray liberally inside the shells. Also, make sure you are spreading the bear trap with your fingers so that it does catch/cut the instep/throat of the liner.

Post some pics showing where they have been wearing out.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Noodler...

46023818024_a477b4bf9a_z.jpg

The other side looks pretty much the same. The black stuff is cordura, which I glued on with contact adhesive. It lasts a little while, but ultimately the edges pull free.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Hi Noodler...

The other side looks pretty much the same. The black stuff is cordura, which I glued on with contact adhesive. It lasts a little while, but ultimately the edges pull free.

Wow, that is a ton of wear and tear. What shells do you have these in? I'm surprised you had to resort to adding cordura on the outside of the liner. Did the leather completely wear through and have holes?

I have 2 other pairs of ZipFits from around 2006-2007 era that have at least hundreds of days on them. They are retired now, but their exteriors still look practically new.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
The shells were Atomic Hawx 2 and now Hawx Prime. Both are/were 130 flex.

I put the cordura on after the brown outer layer was abraded off and the soft black leather material started to show wear.

I will try your suggestions (thanks!) when I get home - I am currently in St Anton and will be here for the next 8 weeks. No real opportunity/facilities to work on the shells here.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
@Noodler, I’m sure I’ve looked over it four times, but I can’t find your heating instructions for the Zipfits. What temperature and for how long do you heat them before fitting into the shell? Thanks for your help.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler, I’m sure I’ve looked over it four times, but I can’t find your heating instructions for the Zipfits. What temperature and for how long do you heat them before fitting into the shell? Thanks for your help.

ZipFit Liner Fitting Instructions:
  1. Cover oven rack with a layer of aluminum foil and preheat oven to 250* F for 10 minutes (convection is best if you have one available)
  2. Remove the liner and powerstrap from the boot shell, also remove the footbed from the liner
  3. Set oven to 225* (ZipFit recommends 228*) and heat boot shell (buckle-side down) and liner for 10 minutes (on layer of aluminum foil)
  4. Remove liner from oven
  5. Replace footbed in liner after heating
  6. Put liner on foot and tighten laces
  7. Remove shell from oven
  8. Put foot with liner into shell
  9. Buckle shell (wrap powerstrap around top temporarily), set ankle pocket, and flex forward a few times
  10. Once liner and shell have cooled to room (or body temp) remove.
Repeat for second shell & liner.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just a reminder that the instructions above are NOT for breaking in a new ZipFit liner. I do not recommend heating the shell until at least one (if not two) liner heatings and subsequent fitting into a cold shell. You run the risk of molding the shell to the liner instead of the liner to the shell in my experience.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I believe the honeycomb is now standard on the newest iteration of the liners. So I would assume that if you get the Sidewinder option it will be covered in the honeycomb material. The liners I checked out at my local shop all had the honeycomb and the one pair of liners with the Sidewinder option had this covering too. Either way, just be clear when ordering that you want the Sidewinder with the honeycomb.

That all said, I have never skied the Sidewinder option, but while checking it out in the shop I noted that the "break in" looks to be more challenging if there is a hard plastic sheet down the inside edge side of the liner. I have to question how much value there is in the Sidewinder option, but I'll hold out final judgement until there is some feedback from real world experience.

Well, I had Steve at Snowbird fit me with the Gara Sidewinder on Monday. He also tweaked my footbed on Tuesday so that I had more weight on the heel and less on the balls of my feet. He diagnosed that as as major problem that was causing me to get thrown in the backseat

I'm in a 28.5 Head Raptor B3 RD. Super, super close fit and the shell required extensive modifications in order for the Zipfit to work well.

Monday - absolutely excruciating. Felt like my foot was in a vice. The pain was so unbearable that I considered throwing my stock liners back in. I skied in them for the rest of the day and the pressure was so bad that my toes went numb for more than 24 hours.

Tuesday - went in first thing in the AM and had Steve work on them. Lots of grinding and afterwards, my feet and ankles were feeling better. Also, the nasty heel spurs were starting to calm down. Started to see some small improvements in control.

Wednesday - started the day on the slopes with no new modifications. Foot feeling MUCH better. No longer getting crushed. Heel hold is vice but comfortable. Started getting a feel for the side winder. Wow!!! MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more precision and control when carving. I was really able to get on my edge and carve sharp, deep RR tracks, which is something I've had a hard time doing. These liners are absolute game changers! I can really stand on my ski with absolute control and precision. That side winder is incredible and just allows me to rail! Precision in the pow,crud, steels, trees and mogul fields is better than anything I've ever experienced. Finished the day off with a small amount of grinding on my navicular.

Brought my 14yo son in with me to get fitted for a Zipfit Grand Prix Side Winder. He'll probably be miserable tomorrow but by Friday I expect the light bulb will turn on for him.

Hope my experience helps.

Bill

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I put the Gara in my Raptor 120. Lowering the bootboard 2mm helped with the volume. Issue now is i think my foot is 3mm or so forward from the stock liner position. Toes touching the front. My foot does pull back when leaning forward, but not much. Toes go numb, and it has been very cooled here, but not for 24hr!! I'm good to go by the time the engine is warm.
Did Steve remove and OMfit from the liner, or did if fit at is? I know this all depends on the volume of ones foot.
Yes to all the increase control!! The rear of my foot is great in the boot!
I'll be at Alta Snowbird this weekend and my pay him a visit...

Last edited:

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I put the Gara in my Raptor 120. Lowering the bootboard 2mm helped with the volume. Issue now is i think my foot is 3mm or so forward from the stock liner position. Toes touching the front. My foot does pull back when leaning forward, but not much. Toes go numb, and it has been very cooled here, but not for 24hr!! I'm good to go by the time the engine is warm.
Did Steve remove and OMfit from the liner, or did if fit at is? I know this all depends on the volume of ones foot.

And to add the shop heated the liners 3 times and the shells 1 time on initial fitting. I heated the liner at home 1 time and really worked the liner in the boot concentrating on the heel area. That helped out greatly with the fit.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier

No idea if Steve removed any material. That Raptor is a SUPER narrow boot and while I have narrow feet (hence why I chose this boot), it still required an extensive amount of work. Hoping my kid has a good experience. We have today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday) to get them dialed in. Maybe 2 hours of skiing on Saturday for a final check up from Steve before we hop in a shuttle to the airport.

Bill

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Steve did my very first pair of ZipFits way back in 2006. The man knows these liners inside and out, so if there's anyone on the planet that can help figure out how to solve your issue, he would be at the top of the list.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Does anybody know what/how a Zipfit typically fails from normal usage?

I have about 370 ski days on mine. The ankle hold does seem to be as good as it was. I cannot see an obvious leak of the OM goop. Does the goop break down over time? Does it compress (I doubt it, but...)? Or, do I need to refit the liner because the goop has moved to places where it should not be?