• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reading this thread I’m very interested in getting Zipfit liner for my Head Raptors. Wondering what the difference is if any between the Gara and World Cup?
Also, is $400 about the cost of the liners alone?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The "stated" only difference between those models is the amount of OMfit cork compound injected in the liner (with about 10% more in the WC). Personally, I think there's more to it than just volume of compound (at least when you get to the Grand Prix model). My WC Special Edition has a more voluminous upper cuff than my GARA liners. My standard WC (which is a quite a few years older) is the same as the GARA in the upper cuff.

Best thing you can do is to go into a ZipFit dealer and get fit as there are a lot of variables at play that will impact the right choice.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
The "stated" only difference between those models is the amount of OMfit cork compound injected in the liner (with about 10% more in the WC). Personally, I think there's more to it than just volume of compound (at least when you get to the Grand Prix model). My WC Special Edition has a more voluminous upper cuff than my GARA liners. My standard WC (which is a quite a few years older) is the same as the GARA in the upper cuff.

Best thing you can do is to go into a ZipFit dealer and get fit as there are a lot of variables at play that will impact the right choice.

Thanks. I’ll check which Tahoe shop is fitting them. I know all of them probably do Intuition...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I remembered that I had promised to post pics of the fully broken in liner versus the newer liner. The older broken in liner is on the left.

Attachments

• 20181031_171817762_iOS.jpg
    20181031_171817762_iOS.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20181031_171843069_iOS.jpg
    20181031_171843069_iOS.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20181031_171903912_iOS.jpg
    20181031_171903912_iOS.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 201

James

Out There
Instructor
ZipFit Liners take somewhat of a leap of faith to purchase. Once you do you'll most likely never again be able to ski for any amount of time without them. Sure you can put in a day or two here and there on stock liners but if you ski a fair amount for performance, no way. ZipFits remain The best kept secret in skiing.
Yeah, not so much. I much preferred the Dobie lace up in my Lange than the Intuition ProTongue. Even forgetting the shameful tongue the Intuition had, preferred the feel of the Nordica liner.-It had some spring to the material. The goodnews is Intuition finally makes a decent tongue that's reinforced with plastic.

I remembered that I had promised to post pics of the fully broken in liner versus the newer liner. The older broken in liner is on the left.
So the blue neoprene area of the forefoot has no padding or omfit at all inside?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So the blue neoprene area of the forefoot has no padding or omfit at all inside?

It's two layers of somewhat thick neoprene and the toe box is lined inside with shearling wool, but no cork bladders up there (and honestly I wouldn't want any with a tight/race type fit). Note that the tongue does provide "padding" over the instep and there is a 3rd chamber in the cuff bladder that can be filled with OMfit and provides contact over the sides of the instep.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here is a link to the U.S. distributor. They would be able to recommend a shop near you.

P.S. - I just checked and it looks like they're recommending Buck Brown at Olympic Boot Works.

Thanks again. Buck B. has been given great reviews here.
I read Phil's review of the Boot-Doc liner thread ( https://www.pugski.com/threads/boot-doc-world-cup-foam-liners.3279/ ) and Bud Heishman's shop carries ZipFIt, Boot Doc and Intuition liners. This may be a good place to "see it all".

Seems I too have a boot obsession now a have a decently proper fitting boot and looking to go all the way with it. Plus i would rather think about skiing than work.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks again. Buck B. has been given great reviews here.
I read Phil's review of the Boot-Doc liner thread ( https://www.pugski.com/threads/boot-doc-world-cup-foam-liners.3279/ ) and Bud Heishman's shop carries ZipFIt, Boot Doc and Intuition liners. This may be a good place to "see it all".

Seems I too have a boot obsession now a have a decently proper fitting boot and looking to go all the way with it. Plus i would rather think about skiing than work.

Bud is great too. He did my original alignment back in 2006; planed my boot soles, tested my dorsiflexion range, setup my ramp angle, etc.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking of new liners for my fairly new Raptor 14 RS boots. The stockers are already packing out significantly, at 10 days.

I've got a pair of DFPs that seem to have plenty of life in them, and can reportedly be re-cooked once without significant degradation. This thread, however, has me looking hard at Zip Fits.

One question: Do you sorta kinda have to first put on the liner, THEN slip your foot/liner into the shell? If so, that's a deal killer for Parking Lot Tom.

Two question: Would Zip Fits make it harder to get the boots off at day's end? The Raptors are already as much challenge as I want in this area!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes it’s much better to put on liners then into shells, and yes it’s a little harder to get off at end of day, one must figure out which is more important convenience or skiing??

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thinking of new liners for my fairly new Raptor 14 RS boots. The stockers are already packing out significantly, at 10 days.

I've got a pair of DFPs that seem to have plenty of life in them, and can reportedly be re-cooked once without significant degradation. This thread, however, has me looking hard at Zip Fits.

One question: Do you sorta kinda have to first put on the liner, THEN slip your foot/liner into the shell? If so, that's a deal killer for Parking Lot Tom.

Two question: Would Zip Fits make it harder to get the boots off at day's end? The Raptors are already as much challenge as I want in this area!

You can totally do the parking lot dance even if you choose to go liner separate from the shells. I have done it many times. It's not my first choice (would much rather boot up in the lodge), but it is absolutely possible. Bring a spare mat to throw on the ground (or use a car mat) if you're not too confident in your ability to balance on one leg while doing the dance.

What I like about the ZipFit liner and going into the shell with the liner on your foot, is it saves your feet from a bunch of pain. That goes for going out too. Not sure what the previous poster's experience is, but it is waaay easier to get out of a stiff boot at the end of the day, by keeping the liner on your foot. ZipFits are leather and neoprene. Just spray some silicone in your shells every few weeks and the liners slip in and out fairly easily. I just spread the bear trap with my fingers and the foot drops right in.

I should also mention that ZipFit liners really want to go in race style (liner separate). Every time you do it that way, you re-prime the heel hugger chambers. If you try to shove your foot into a ZipFit while inside a tight shell, you run the risk of screwing up the placement of the cork compound in the heel huggers.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can totally do the parking lot dance even if you choose to go liner separate from the shells. I have done it many times. It's not my first choice (would much rather boot up in the lodge), but it is absolutely possible. Bring a spare mat to throw on the ground (or use a car mat) if you're not too confident in your ability to balance on one leg while doing the dance.

What I like about the ZipFit liner and going into the shell with the liner on your foot, is it saves your feet from a bunch of pain. That goes for going out too. Not sure what the previous poster's experience is, but it is waaay easier to get out of a stiff boot at the end of the day, by keeping the liner on your foot. ZipFits are leather and neoprene. Just spray some silicone in your shells every few weeks and the liners slip in and out fairly easily. I just spread the bear trap with my fingers and the foot drops right in.

I should also mention that ZipFit liners really want to go in race style (liner separate). Every time you do it that way, you re-prime the heel hugger chambers. If you try to shove your foot into a ZipFit while inside a tight shell, you run the risk of screwing up the placement of the cork compound in the heel huggers.

Awesome sauce, thanks! I like to hear that it's actually easier to get out. The Raptors are kind of bear traps below 20 degrees (not typically a problem on Mt. Hood).

I'll check into the Zip Fits at Pete Lane's, when my wife and I are at Sun Valley in February.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
1 trick I learned from some old timers at Sugar Bowl about booting up in the parking lot: Bring a lawn chair! I saw them doing it, I started doing it this season and for us it works great. Also great for the lunch break! I should mention I drive a 4 door sedan unless 4WD is required, so on 5th door in the back and a place to sit. 2nd the mat on the ground. Home Depot mats are cheap.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here is a link to the U.S. distributor. They would be able to recommend a shop near you.

P.S. - I just checked and it looks like they're recommending Buck Brown at Olympic Boot Works.

Walked into Olympic Boot Works yesterday at 4:30PM after skiing. There must have been 20 people crammed in there and 2 boot fitters. I'll try calling during the week...

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Would love to use silicon while putting on the zips like with Hansons. (Unless you're old you probably won't get that reference.). You don't experience shifting around of the zips when skiing due to the lubricating effect of the silicon?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Would love to use silicon while putting on the zips like with Hansons. (Unless you're old you probably won't get that reference.). You don't experience shifting around of the zips when skiing due to the lubricating effect of the silicon?

Unfortunately I do get the reference (although I was in High School at the time). :ogcool:

Silicone spray in the shell should not result in shifting if you have a tight shell fit. I have never experienced it and I have used silicone spray for at least 20 years.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

We have the Gara ZipFits and were told by a VERY competent fitter to not take them out of the shell. Works great for us. With our heated boot bags the shells are warm and we slide into the Zipfit/shell very easily

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have the Gara ZipFits and were told by a VERY competent fitter to not take them out of the shell.

Yet Sven Coomer of Zip Fit fame would beg to differ, IIRC from the little videos and FAQ section on his website?

Sponsor

Staff online