• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Had never heard of them before but saw Fuxy using them at the FIS masters this weekend. Anyone any experience of them??

zay ski boots.jpg

ZAY PRODUCTS PHOTO

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw them at SIA either last year or the year before, they had a smaller booth over by Nordica & Tecnica. I do recall seeing a few fitters stopping by to check them out. I kinda remember glancing at them and thinking they were a bit...raw. Looking at the site, it looks like the smallest shell available is a 26.0.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The radial closure seems gimmicky and prone to failure. And it seems like it would be reducing the width along with the height of the boot simultaneously. For those with a wide, but very, very low foot/instep (like me) you could get it squeezing your foot before you secure the instep.

But the one thing they are doing that is interesting to me is the bootboard.
boot-board-With-Text1.png

"The Zay boot board is designed in a way that allows the big toe area to articulate or drop down. We added a 3mm foam strip on the inside of the foot (medial) and runs the full length of the boot board. As the skier initiates a turn, the foam compresses and allows the ball of the foot to naturally drop, providing increased sensitivity and control"

That is something I think I'd like to test drive. As a person with a hypermobile ankle, I think I could get better control and comfort out of this. Or not. Like I said, it seems worth trying out and I could even custom make something approximating this . . .

Oh, and their cuff alignment allows up to 2 degrees. Most I think only allow up to 1.5 . . . and I need about 1.8 on my right boot . . .

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Zay boot first appeared on the market as the Ospra X1 in the mid 1980s

Ospra_X1a.jpg

The boot board ramp angle of 6.2 degrees is pretty high, presumably this is because of the radial closure mechanism

I doesn’t seem to be injection moulded (I doubt that there are any ski boot injection moulding machines in the US).

Looking at this photo it appears that it might be made from polyurethane casting resin, like the first Lange boots were.

Zay.jpg

http://www.zayproducts.com/technology/

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid