• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
The brand is based in Chamonix and seems to have some ardent following in Euro freeride/backcountry community.

I would like to hear more - anybody on them ...?

S-104 tickled my fancy while managing boot deep snow in Les Houches.

Let me hear you ...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had Zag Z-All Mountain. I gave them to a friend. Until I got the Pinnacle 88s this summer, they were my all around favorites. It is a well made, fine performing ski.

20170104_101145_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I can echo Doug's comments above. I picked up a Z based on his recommendation years ago on EpicSki. I also have the 184. One thing to note at least about the Z is that the profile also makes it feel shorter than it is. They aren't a hard charger ski, but not a wimpy ski either (despite their soft flex). They are soft, lively, playful in nature and easy to ski on. They hold a decent edge, but hard pack is not their forte (my Motives, MTN 95 and Head Monster all have better edge hold). Where they shine is fresh and cut up 3-D snow. The profile makes them easy to ski in variable terrain. They are also pretty light, and may end up being my new AT setup next season (mounted for alpine right now).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They'll also get you a lot of attention on the lift.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Thanks all,

I did even visit their flagship store and manage to place order for S-104/188cm. At first I was surprised with recommended length but considering S-104 has very long tip/tail rocker with camber underfoot, ski feels shorter.They gave me 20%off and additional 20%off by the fact of not having to pay French VAT.
Combination of good conditions and my excitement left very good first impression of this ski. We'll see ... I plan on mounting them with Pivots and use them as my "fresh snow" day - no AT. Another concern is how would this ski behave in anything other that conditions that they are designed for (fresh snow), lack of metal might make it bit unstable in anything less than stellar conditions ?

I believe that Z series is now replaced by H series.

2018/2019 lineup remains the same, graphics will be new. And it is hinted to me that come March all remaining 2017/18 models will be 30%off (with VAT not charged it makes 50%off)

I guess me seeking out community input of ZAG skis is more of a slight "buyer's remorse" case but now I can relax.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is good, there's an anglo thread I can point to if I try to sell my H112s :D They have STH 13s tho.

They don't have any metal either but the one thing I never need to worry about is instability in less than stellar conditions.

Last edited:
TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
This is good, there's an anglo thread I can point to if I try to sell my H112s :D They have STH 13s tho.

They don't have any metal either but the one thing I never need to worry about is instability in less than stellar conditions.

Just curious, what size H-112 and how would you rate them in crud/chopped up carnage?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just curious, what size H-112 and how would you rate them in crud/chopped up carnage?

188cm nurse topsheets. They go over and through pretty much anything, so long as it's soft. Very damp feel, not in a Head Monster way but stiffer (some would call this 'planky' and they are planky on groomers and in frozen 3D terrain). Really nice in crust, if there is any soft underneath at all.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Skis are here ... and ...

Great FedEx/TNT managed to puncture the box, almost a pencil hole that would leave a damage on a top sheet on one of the skis.

It does not look horrible but it seems that top layer is punctured and I am afraid that any moisture would penetrate. I can probably fix it with some marine epoxy but why bother with new ski, right?

I contacted ZAG and now waiting game begins with claims, shipping back and forth and so on ...

Bummer, I was not able to bring them with me since I had my skis with me already and it would cost me a ton more.

Rs%UfSnHT2mmoZAoPYBH3g.jpg

VzquRw09RPyWcBXdmNVh0A.jpg

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Just to be clear - I do not blame ZAG in any way, as a matter of fact they responded quickly and will correct this unfortunate situation.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
That sucks. Beautiful skis though. Glad to hear ZAG is on top of it... Their responsiveness speaks highly of the company... In the spring when they are 30% off, another pair for me may be worth a look!

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Update on ZAG saga ...

After initial response of "don't worry - we'll take care of it" - digital silence ...

Day, two, three ...seven and finally email comes !!!

So French - OOOH, after examining the damage to the ski we (guy in the shop) determined that damage might be caused in pressing process and no functionality of the ski is compromised. In fact admitting- they sent me the "blem" ski.

Despite the fact that the package was opened and had visible punctures at the time I received it ... OK, let's call it "blem".

They offer "x" amount of discount

Fuck NO !!!

I want my ZAG new, as paid for and delivered in time as I paid extra money to ship this ski to me. As stipulated in purchase agreement.

What is appropriate "blem" discount - from manufacturer (not retailer) ?

I really want to like these guys, it looks like it is up to their customer service at this point.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Time to end this, I did accept their offer to further discount the ski. I just want to be over with this - I am not known as a very patient guy.

In this very competitive market it is as important to me (consumer) the quality of the product as well as customer relations. That is how businesses distinguish themselves from the pack. Unfortunately, the way that ZAG handled this is less than stellar.

I purchased a pair of new skis in good faith and ended up with a pair of blem skis. Price is not the issue, the process is.

Time to go ski them ...

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Time to end this, I did accept their offer to further discount the ski.

Out of curiosity, how much did they discount. I know of another boutique euro manufacturer who sells their blems for much less than 200 euros... shipped to the U.S. they come out to about 200 euros.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Let's just say that I am not happy with how ZAG handled this.

I did some research and figured out how much blem skis should be discounted. ZAG did not match that.

It is not worth my time and hassle to deal with FedEx, PayPal and ZAG for additional 10, 20 or whatever percentage off it is.

Fortunately, there is Facebook, Twitter, Pugski, Snowheads and so on and if that's the way they want to deal with their customers - let it be so. They had their chance to do it right and they fumbled it.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Skis are mounted with bindings provided/bought on this site.

And will be skied in Aspen and Taos during the next few weeks . (BTW, keep your eye on Taos, I think some serious snow is coming that way)

Beyond my mind that company with customer service like this can still do business.

Lot's of lessons to be learned ... for you out there - I paid for those lessons ... !

Sponsor

Staff online