• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Youth Development Programs in Colorado

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Hi all - my family will be moving to Denver, Co later this spring and I'm already thinking about getting my kids on the snow more (they already get 20-25 days a year from Houston and it is by far their favorite thing to do). They are 4 and 6 (almost 5 and 7). I want to get them into a fun youth development program that does the skiing on Saturdays and then we can ski as a family on Sunday. I think this will be a great way to develop their skills and make some friends up on the mountain. Does anybody have any experience with the programs at Vail, Breckenridge or Steamboat (or any other programs for that matter).

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Definitely look at Intro to Team Summit. Kids ski on Saturday each week for 16 weeks I believe. Programs start in December and run until April. You have the option of doing this at Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, or Arapahoe Basin. Families are eligible for discounted season passes, winter coats, and other perks.

TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Awesome - thanks for the lead. And at this stage my kids are more interested in learning how to ski all over the mountain as opposed to racing (they are just 6 and 4 right now). The six year old is comfortable pretty much on all groomed blues and the four year old on greens. From reading the website it looks like the program starts out teaching fundamentals, etc. and then a kid can choose if they want to do a more racing oriented program or an all mountain program. Is that correct?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. I have athletes that started with me in fundamentals doing either racing (including college level) or big mountain. Some no longer participate in formal programs but ski anything on the mountain. One former athlete is now a coach herself at Winter Park.

TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Perfect - this is exactly what we are looking for.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Our kids started on Team Summit at ages 7 and 5. Still going at 16 and 14. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Team Summit is a sound suggestion. If you're willing to look elsewhere and consider something else, you should look into Winter Park's (somewhat misnamed) Competition Center whose overarching goal is to teach kids a life long love of the sport. If you reach out to the Center, ask to speak with Toad, who is the director and an absolute prince of a person.
https://www.winterparkresort.com/things-to-do/competition-center

As an added bonus, Winter Park can be a bit shorter drive from Denver, especially on I-70 challenged days.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I'm putting my 4yo in the Eldora program this year, and I know they have race and freeride oriented programs for older kids (Eldorables is 4-5 and they have a few different levels from never ever to kids who know how to ski). Eldora probably is out of your way, from denver, but just wanted to mention another option for you to look into if you get on the IKON.

Sponsor

Staff online