• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You're the boss - what would you do right now if you ran a ski area?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I would run the mountain “per usual”.

I would send out a communication to all pass holder, and potential pass holders. Due to social distancing requirement, uphill capacity will be significantly reduced. Don’t be surprised the lines goes half way up the hill on holiday weekends. Offer the option for pass refund/credit till end of January If they haven’t used the pass. (Prorated if they have only used a few days.)

Resist like hell of artificially imposed “capacity limit“ from government bureaucrats! If the lifts can handle it, I will let them ski.

Institute a “priority line” for a price.

Do whatever makes sense on food/bathroom/rental. No group lessons, only private/semi-private.

That’s all.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd be figuring out how I can financially survive. Doing operational costs vs revenue projections. What can I offer with lets say 50% of revenues? If opening with all the potential restrictions means losing more money than remaining closed, be prepared to make the decision to scrap this season. Live to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You just hit on something that lit a bulb in my cobwebbed brain. With all the work-from-home people now, weekdays may not be as empty as they can be, at least at our home mountain. Another variable to consider when deciding whether to ski or put your pass off until 20-21.

I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. We were discussing a potential lottery or reservation system. She said, "At least we ski mid-week." I said, "Mid-week will look more like weekends this season than other ski seasons."

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd be figuring out how I can financially survive. Doing operational costs vs revenue projections. What can I offer with lets say 50% of revenues? If opening with all the potential restrictions means losing more money than remaining closed, be prepared to make the decision to scrap this season. Live to tell the tale.

For many areas, limiting the capacity to 50% will only have a 50% decreased revenue effect on peak-season weekends and holidays. The remaining days at many areas are not anywhere near 100% capacity. (Week days). The net effect, depending on the customer base, will be less than 50% revenue reduction.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I was the "boss" of a coveted ski area, I'd do the most unpopular thing, and the thing that I, as a consumer, would hate the most. I'd institute a reservation system to maintain a limited capacity at the area. When it fills to 80%, a lottery kicks in for the remainder. I'd institute a daily COVID-19 surcharge to anyone that had a seasons pass, or mega pass. Day passes would reflect the surcharge ( sorry, it's gonna cost more). I'd enforce limited entrance/seating to lodges/bathroom/bars. Social distance lift lines and lifts. Assuming I can find the work force, all this is going to cost more to operate the resort. The die-hards will ski regardless, the others can pound salt if they don't like it. If someone doesn't understand this season is not business as usual, there's not much any manager can do about that.

If I'm the "boss" of a mom and pop, or also ran ski area, I might just shutter for the season.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Idk but for sure I think I would cater more to season pass holders for sure. I think and could be wrong but I think a lot of the residual will be gone this year.
You got to keep your core customers happy this year. Maybe run less lift service and groom less, I’d be ok with that.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Limit the parking when lots are full so is the ticket sales.
Institute 3 lines on all triple or lager chairs left and right singles and group in the middle.
On weekends and holidays run chairs at a notch or 2 higher speed if lines get ridiculously long.
A battalion of porta potties at the base with a squad of cleaners.
Lease out space for food trcks around the base. And add a whole lot of picnic tables/seating cheap Adirondack chairs could be good.
Practice saying no nicely.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be looking at covered outdoor seating for those days when, you know, it's cold and wintery. Like winter. Lot's of propane or electric space heaters and fire pits.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I'd bite the cost & offer free tickets to healthcare workers. Set a limit XXX tickets per day, reserve ahead online & just pay it forward. I'm a nurse (working remote-not frontline) and it would be my way to say thanks to my professional colleagues. I would also pass out free washable masks with the mountain logo, great advertising & a great way to promote mask use.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Announce that there will be no grooming this season - moguls only.

That would actually help crowding but will really increase the ski patrol workload exponentially :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pretty important to know what the financial situation is going in to the season after losing at least a month last season. Is breaking even required? Are there leases and loans that require a positive revenue stream to maintain? Utility bills, etc? Who really wants to operate at significant losses unless the market is very competitive with other sellers nearby who are also fighting in the same market?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Double or triple season pass prices with a guarantee of x number of days. Limit season pass sales to a certain number. Have reservation system so all season pass people get first shot. Deadlines for reservations. No more than 5 no shows per season or charged a fee.

Install outdoor pods for lunch. Everything reservation only, pay in advance. Price accordingly to cover cleaning, service etc. no refunds for showing up late, cancelling etc.

Day tickets by reservation only. Pay at reservation time. No show, no refund.

goal: Limit crowds, maximize revenue.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I would hire an operations research engineering expert to come up with a formula or simulation that takes into account many variables (capacity, coverage, Marcov chain waiting line models,etc). Then have it optimize the overall satisfaction of the expected skiing population.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Skiing is an outdoor activity with folks routinely wearing gloves and even masks. I work in a hospital and have operated on mutiple COVID patients--especially after the spike of cases and trauma following the recent protests/riots.

Lifts run normally.
Mandatory mask use.
No indoor dining or drinking facilities--outside only.
Maintain social distancing in commercial venues, stores, locker rooms, etc...

The following, as noted in a post above, makes sense:

"I would sell season passes as usual. I would limit day passes. Guests that buy season passes and book their stays well in advance have the priority. I would prep the lodge areas for outdoor seating ONLY, for all lunch / dining. ALL indoor eating and drinking will be CLOSED. I would look into STRONG ventilation systems for all bathroom facilities. I would operate lodging at about 50% capacity for safety and longer turnaround times to allow cleaning and disinfecting of rooms and facilities between guests. I would increase fresh and clean air circulation in ALL lodging facilities. I would also implement pretty strict protocols and testing for all my staff and employees. I dont want them or their families to get sick. (Free sanitizing gel and PPE is a given). All this should keep the wheels turning."

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Double or triple season pass prices with a guarantee of x number of days. Limit season pass sales to a certain number. Have reservation system so all season pass people get first shot. Deadlines for reservations. No more than 5 no shows per season or charged a fee.

Install outdoor pods for lunch. Everything reservation only, pay in advance. Price accordingly to cover cleaning, service etc. no refunds for showing up late, cancelling etc.

Day tickets by reservation only. Pay at reservation time. No show, no refund.

goal: Limit crowds, maximize revenue.
I think the above might do too good of a job in limiting crowds. It is similar to governments raising taxes: it modifies behaviour, sometimes to the point of netting less tax revenue.

Imo, the non Pugski skiing public will be price sensitive to a sport that suddenly costs more but offers more restrictions and less services. For a lot of people it might be a good year to take up a different close to home outdoor winter activity. So I would keep prices the same; spaced, masked lift lines; limited numbers at any one time for indoor food & beverage and other services.

As boss, I would focus on as much outdoor services as possible and as many have already said: portable toilets, food trucks, bars with heated covered decks, etc.

Make an appointment with bank manager to discuss refinancing bank loan. :)

I would have a quarantine housing plan, in the event that staff get Covid.

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
Parking lots I- Reserve a portion of at least one lot for an outdoor food prep area. Install a temporary kitchen trailer or three. Figure out a workable menu of mostly grillable staples (chili, burgers, hot sandwiches, etc; probably a lot like you'd see at a summertime fair/festival). If I can manage tables and awnings of some kind, great, but I don't think those would be feasible without a lot of upkeep.

Parking lots II- Have a valet-style curbside equipment drop off. You pull up, drop your skis/boots/boards/poles, get a ticket. Then you go to a parking lot as follows: Lots closer to the lodges are reserved for people with disabilities, people 55 and older, and families with young kids, say 5 and under. Otherwise able bodied people have to park further away. There will be buses, but with social distancing, they're not going to be full and I can't afford to pay four times as many bus drivers to accommodate a 25% capacity limit with downtime for more frequent sanitizing. This keeps the more at risk people off the buses and at the same time reduces risk of someone's toddler getting run over because they were too small to see over the hood. Boot up/gear up at the car as much as possible. Then walk/get dropped off at where you left your skiing/boarding stuff and claim it.

Lodges: Open but very limited; mostly for hot chocolate/coffee breaks, visits to the equipment and rental shops, guest services, etc. Mask use required if required by local regulations; otherwise highly incentivized. Maybe free coffee or fountain soda if you wear a mask-something like that. Some space reserved entirely for employees- ski patrollers, instructors, maintenance crew, clerks, etc. People who are there to work will need a place to stow gear and such, or just be able to duck in and get a quick cup of joe without waiting in line too long. Also, bathrooms. I'll pay someone to do hourly sanitizing if that's what it takes, but there are too many people/situations for whom outdoor portajohns in winter are too problematic.

Trails: Might have to limit the trails that are open to the 2/3rds most consistently used ones. Gotta save money on snowmaking, grooming, etc. Definitely don't want to do that, but it's on the table.

Rentals: Troublesome. For most everything except the boots, maybe establish a no-man's land zone where the tech moves in, drops your skis and poles in a stand, then moves back as you move in to claim your gear. Boots, maybe it'll be a trial and error process where the tech gives you a likely to fit pair, you sit back and try them on, and then back and forth until the fit is made. When stuff is turned in, it gets sanitized and stored for next time.

Lessons: Group lessons to no more than 3 or 4 people per instructor. Morning and afternoon temperature monitoring for all students and instructors. Pre-registration strongly recommended, but there will be ones available day-of for a hefty added fee.

Day care: Limited but available by reservation only. Morning and afternoon temperature screening for clients and caretakers, or hourly for hourly clients if needed.

Gut feeling is that people will be looking for something that gets them outside. Here in NH, the parks and campgrounds have been holy-moly full pretty much since they were allowed to open. And we know people were skinning and backcountry skiing at the end of last season. I think things will continue in that vein, which means there's an opportunity here to introduce more people to skiing and boarding. Maybe I'd look at partnering with the local ski shops or gear reps to offer more demo days. Definitely take a look at offering snowtubing if I don't already have it, for the Friday and Saturday night crowd.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
For resorts that normally run shuttle buses, those open air trailers that Big Sky and Lake Louise (on weekends) use are gold, but probably not great for on road use in traffic or mountain roads.

Here in Victoria we have double decker summer tourist buses with the top deck open air, Whistler should lease them for the winter.

Sponsor