• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Sun Valley Views

DavidA

Booting up
Skier
I've never been to Sun Valley. Is any one a big fan of Sun Valley? If so--can you advocate and share your enthusiasm. Here's my impression...

Great town--but low snow and too many groomers--no interesting terrain. In tough seasons--SV is where you don't want to be. As great as Ketchum may be --the ski area itself is mediocre.

Can any one (ideally) tell me I'm wrong and tell me why they love it?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Sun Valley and ski there annually so I'll take a shot. First, you are absolutely correct that it does not get a lot of snow traditionally and it tends to have a lot of its terrain groomed. If that is an disqualifier for you, don't fight it and just figure that Sun Valley is not for you. You will not be alone in that camp.

Second, I would disagree with your statement that it is not the place to be in tough seasons as Sun Valley is able to provide what it provides as consistently as anywhere in the country. I live in Utah and am a Snowbasin season ticket holder (which has allowed me to set number of free days at Sun Valley for the past 5-7 years and at a discount rate prior to that time). Our annual trip to Sun Valley has been over Martin Luther King Jr. weekend in January for 4 out of the past 5 years. Sun Valley has skied consistently well during that period every year even including 2 years ago when large portions of Utah were struggling to get significant portions of their terrain open. Sure, skiing was significantly better this year with softer snow and a couple of 5-7 inch powder days on our trip. So I think Sun Valley has consistency dialed about as well as anywhere--the question is whether that experience is for you.

Third, it is a misconception that Sun Valley only has groomers as it has large bowl area, interesting tree skiing, and a fair amount of quality mogul skiing. However, long, consistently pitched groomed runs are a huge strength and Sun Valley's calling card. If you don't think 3,000 of uninterrupted vertical on a fairly consistently pitched run is interesting then; again, you are not its target audience. In fairness and even as a fan of the place, I often ski the sides of the big boulevard runs or the numerous gully runs for a little terrain variation when skiing there. At the lower end, the mountain is much steeper than the norm and you will not find steeper "beginner" (green circle) runs anywhere. At the upper end, the black diamond runs are generally pretty steep but not like the most difficult runs at Jackson, Snowbird etc. By the way, Sun Valley is serviced by one of the most efficient and least crowded lift systems in the country. You can log more vertical in a shorter time at Sun Valley than any other place I have skied. Park skiers and beginners have their own hill across town at Dollar Mountain (my kids often want to spend a few hours there each day in the park).

Finally, the town and the overall feeling are intangibles that have a very real and positive impact on the experience. My family has several restaurants that we have to visit every year. Perhaps our feelings would be different if we didn't ski every weekend and were counting on Sun Valley to tick all the boxes on our one annual ski trip. However, as it is, it is a trip my whole family looks forward to every year.

As a postscript, my two older sons and I went on a weekend ski trip to Jackson two weeks after our trip to Sun Valley. Jackson is another mountain we ski on a near annual basis and we had absolutely primo conditions with lots of deep powder and lightly cut crud runs the whole time we were there. While we were driving home from that trip and even in the face of the epic weekend, my oldest son still held true to his preference for Sun Valley over Jackson (but more along the lines of picking out which supermodel you prefer). While I prefer Jackson as a ski hill, I prefer Sun Valley/Ketchum as a town.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading there for the first time in just about a week for a girls' weekend. Will report back, although I think Kyle seems to have covered it pretty well! Also taking advantage of our Snowbasin Premier pass free days at Sun Valley.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Went for my first time this year. Kyle has described it perfectly. While I liked it and am glad we went, there are many other places I prefer for many of the reasons Kyle describes.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I can't speak first-hand, but I do remember Warren Miller saying, basically, he'd been all over the world be he always preferred Sun Valley after all. I'd like to get out there in a decent snow year to see what he's talking about.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I take two trips a year to SV with my wife. JH used to be our spot, but aging and a leg problem for her makes steep groomers her preference.

Kyle nailed it. Thanks for saving me the typing!

One cool thing I'll add is that because of SV's target audience, the non-groomed stuff is VERY lightly skied, so bumps in bowls, trees, etc. stay friendlier much longer without new snow than they do at a place like JH.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I went there for the first time a couple weeks ago. I think Kyle nailed it. We hit the place under high pressure, it truly was a Sun Valley. I was impressed with their grooming, I'm not sure if they till a bit deeper but the groomers had a delicious layer of soft snow a few inches deep even on a sunny day. There is something to be said about 3400 vertical feet of consistentness, you can really work on your turns when you have that many in front of you.

We spent most of the day up top in the holiday themed named bowls, I thought the skiing up there was pretty nice, it'd be a hoot on a powder day. To end the day we made laps on Warm Springs, non-stop runs down that thing will get your thighs burning for sure.

The one thing that stuck out to me was the age of the crowd. I felt like a youngster there, we were in the lodge at the end of the day and I'd have put the median age around 60. The area around the town is pretty spectacular, the views are fantastic.

Riding the Gondola.

20160208_171000450_iOS.jpg

View from the top.

20160208_181929621_iOS.jpg

The woodpeckers there are Huge!

20160208_185941646_iOS.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, now I am even more excited to go! And that point about the ungroomed stuff staying nice longer is a good one--file that one in the "good to know" place. If this high pressure relents (signs are showing it might) we might actually get some fresh snow while we are there. :0 I will say, I am glad that I have been skiing like a maniac at Snowbasin on their top-to-bottom thigh burner groomers. It's training for Sun Valley!

That's a pileated woodpecker, I believe. We had them in abundance where I grew up near Seattle. Very cool! They seem to peck extra loudly, too. Hope we see some up there.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
That's a pileated woodpecker, I believe. We had them in abundance where I grew up near Seattle. Very cool! They seem to peck extra loudly, too. Hope we see some up there.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see that one, he's made of wood. Look in the woods off of Seattle Ridge. ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see that one, he's made of wood. Look in the woods off of Seattle Ridge. ;)
I thought he looked rather **old**. OK, I'll go hunt him down! That's hilarious. Maybe by the time we go, we'll see the real pileated woodpeckers in there. They must have them there, hence why they have the woody woodpecker one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We hit the place under high pressure, it truly was a Sun Valley.

As a good friend of mine likes to say "Hey, they don't call it Snow Valley!".

My wife and I will be there March 6 - 13 if any other PugSkiers are in the neighborhood.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
The descriptions so far are on point. I love the place for what it is. It is truly a sunny place. They also have a decent snowmaking system. The lifts are great and the number of daily skiers is small. Try to do Warm Springs 3200 vertical without stopping. :D

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a good friend of mine likes to say "Hey, they don't call it Snow Valley!".

My wife and I will be there March 6 - 13 if any other PugSkiers are in the neighborhood.
I'm there on the 6th but with some girlfriends so I don't anticipate being able to sneak away (as it should be--girls weekend after all!) We leave that afternoon after skiing more of the day. Snow looks like it might be returning, too :golfclap: