• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your help sought in choosing new skis...

Goldmember

Booting up
Skier
Hello Pugski forum,

Just stumbled across your forum (from Europe) while doing some online research for a new pair of skis. You all seem a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch, so it seems like to right place to come for some advice. A recommendation would be much appreciated.

Little bit of my skiing background, criteria and possible candidates:

Current skis are a pair of 2005 vintage Völkl P60 Race Carvers @ 183cm (108/65/94). They have been my one ski quiver for everything from 40 mph+ on empty groomers to occasional bumps to lift accessed off-piste in 2 feet of fresh and even a day heli-skiing. They have been awesome but are now kind of done, so now looking for a new 1 ski quiver but something a little easier in the off-piste. In terms of ability and size, I have done some amateur racing (off and on) from age 15 to 24 and during that time did 5 seasons as an instructor (level 2). Now into middle age and for the past 16 years have been limited to 7 to 10 days most seasons and missed one season altogether. 5’10” tall and currently 210 lbs (working to get to 200!).

My criteria are: #1 is that it needs to be able hold a nice powerful GS turn on a firm groomer. #2, be able to charge about in the off-piste and be much easier all day long off-piste than a race carver. #3 price (but much lower ranked than the other 2 criteria and really only to break a tie). Most, if not all of my near term skiing will be in the Arlberg region in Austria, so normally pretty good snowfall and will be in the 7 to 10 days per year range. If the last 5 years are anything to go by, probably 50% of days have been good off-piste conditions (will ski off-piste all day when conditions are good, with a variety of turn shapes) and for the other 50% of days, stick to the groomers when it is no good off-piste. When on the piste, like to arc big, fast GS turns. Do occasional bumps (if they are soft!).

I have a (not so) short list of 10 skis that I think I may be happy with, assembled below (in order of narrowest to widest). If I need to break a tie, have put the prices below that I can buy at if bought without demo & before Christmas (mix of local shops and online) or I can demo virtually all of them in Austria in January and pay from $130 to $300 more per pair than the below prices (which is maybe not such a stupid idea after all).

1.Völkl RTM 84 with IPT WR XL 12.0 in 182cm
2.Kästle FX85HP (mounted with Marker Griffon ID) in 181cm
3.Völkl RTM 86 with IPT WR XL 12.0 in 182cm
4.Head Monster 88 Ti (with Marker Griffon ID or STH2 13) in 184cm
5.Blizzard Brahma (mounted with Marker Griffon ID or STH2 13) in 180 or 187cm
6.Kästle MX89 (mounted with Marker Griffon ID) in 180 or 188cm
7.Kästle FX95HP (mounted with Marker Griffon ID) in 181 or 189cm
8.Blizzard Bonafide (mounted with Marker Griffon ID or STH2 13) in 180 or 187cm
9.Nordica Enforcer 100 (mounted with STH2 13 or Marker Griffon ID) in 185cm
10.Atomic Vantage 100 CTI (mounted with STH2 13 or Marker Griffon ID) in 180 or 188cm

Price wise, the Völkls are around $800, the Monster, Brahma & Bonafide around $625 (incl bindings), the Enforcer and Vantage around $700 and the Kastle's around $950.

I can also upgrade the bindings on the Head, Blizzard, Nordica and Atomic skis to STH2 16’s for $50 or to Market Jester ID’s for $80. Another option is to demo Stockli Stormrider 88 and Stormrider 95’s, but then I am paying way north of $1000 if I buy them.

Any advice or recommendations for a ski for me (of course recommendations on other ones not on my short list welcome), the length of ski and bindings much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If you've really been able to ski the P60s properly in 2 ft of fresh it is probably pretty irrelevant what you choose. Personally having skied the Arlberg a fair bit I'd be looking at Bonafides or Enforcers from what you've identified - you'll give up something on firm groomers but once you get a bit of penetration you'll appreciate the versatility in variable snow and maybe ski a lot more offpiste than before.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I have had experience with the Enforcer on hard but not icy snow (in New England), where I found it an amazingly proficient carver for its width — when properly tuned. Haven't had the snow to try it in anything deeper, but others say it's great there.

For your height and weight, 185 might well be on the short side. I'm 5' 6" & 170lbs., and my 177s are maybe a tad short. They like to turn; they ski short.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From the type of skiing you do, and what your criteria are, I think you would be most happy with a sub 90 ski. #1-6 in your list. Also demo a Dynastar PT89. It is a good value ski (ie cheap) that is a lot of fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with @graham418, I think you will be happier with the skis from the top half of your list..including #6, the Kastle MX89. Remember, the more you ask something to do, the less things it can do and considering what you are coming from and what your top priorities are, staying under 90mm will have a better chance of satisfying your needs. My suggestion would be #4, The Head Monster 88 and the #6, the Kastle MX89. Binding wise, I see no reason to upgrade from the Sth2 13 to the 16, no real performace difference there and I would consider the Look Pivot 12/14 especially if you can find a leftover one with the solid AFD (non WTR version) or ideally step up to the all metal Pivot 18. Also, both of these brands have a tie in with Tyrolia so the Attack 16 would also be a strong consideration.

Back to the ski choices. With cars you Euros keep all the good sport wagons and us Yanks lean towards SUV's. Don't be like us. Your priorities lean to what a sport wagon will provide, while the SUV still will haul a lot, it just cannot provide the performance of the car and neither can the skis that are on the tail end of your list. So, price considered, the Head, price no object, the Kastle. Please take a look at the Cage Match Comparisons, although I don't have these two in a direct fight, you should be able to get some helpful information.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Enforcer 93?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Buy the kastle MX89 if you can afford them. The Head Monster 88 if not. Or Fischer Pro Mountain 86.

All are great skis for what you want. Stockli Stormrider would be a popular choice in this range too, but I've never personally been on them, and now you are making the Kastles look cheap :).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I thought that around here, the answer was ALWAYS Stockli (since Goldmember said price was only a tie breaker) ..

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whereas I would normally agree as to a ski around 90 given your terrain choices, since you're coming from snaky 65-s that seemed to make you happy I'd also consider skis around 80 such as the Head Supershape or Stockli Laser AX.

I have last year's AX and Head Titan and like both of them in all the conditions you describe.

TS
Goldmember

Goldmember

Booting up
Skier
Many, many thanks to all who have offered advice and other ski suggestions. Much appreciated and more food for thought.
Thanks to your feedback, I now have a new and different top 5. It may be well a case of needing to demo.
Or just buy the MX89s without permission and ask for forgiveness.
Yes Phil, indeed looking for a ski with plenty of power and grip on the piste. If one were to go for the MX89 or even demo it, would you suggest the 180 or 188?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Many, many thanks to all who have offered advice and other ski suggestions. Much appreciated and more food for thought.
Thanks to your feedback, I now have a new and different top 5. It may be well a case of needing to demo.
Or just buy the MX89s without permission and ask for forgiveness.
Yes Phil, indeed looking for a ski with plenty of power and grip on the piste. If one were to go for the MX89 or even demo it, would you suggest the 180 or 188?
The MX89 skis it's full length so I think the 180 would be fine for you.

Sponsor

Staff online