Your favorite lodging tips and tricks

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by marjoram_sage, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:22 PM.

1. marjoram_sage

marjoram_sage newly addicted to skiing Skier

A lot of you here travel a lot for skiing. I wanted to ask your tips and tricks around lodging. I use points earned from business travel and credit cards but they run out quickly in ski towns. I have also sat through time share presentations if the deal is good (e.g. $400 for 3 nights at Marriott Mountainside Park City). I don't plan to buy a time share and have no problem saying no to a timeshare sales pitch.

I have a little bit of dislike of Airbnb due to their strict cancellation policies, weird house rules that you have to keep track of and the cleaning fees. I also prefer not to shovel snow, something I had to do in an Airbnb. I do like having a kitchen as it helps me minimize food cost.

Obviously, ski in ski out is awesome but it comes at a steep price. I'm happy with a shuttle to base area. It's great to be able to do a trip without car as AWD rentals are expensive.

Next year, I am on Ikon base and Mt Rose pass. I will likely be on Epic local pass year after as I would like to ski Kirkwood. I will probably maintain a combo of Ikon/Epic with an Indie Ski Resort. If I ever take a trip at Christmas again, it will probably be at an Indie Ski resort. In future, I will probably try to ski for a whole week between MLK and President's day and another full week in April. There will be a couple of 3 day extended weekend trips.

Resorts of particular interest to me are:
    • Snowmass
    • Mt. Rose
    • AltaBird (will go with a friend who goes there every year)
    • Park City/Deer Valley
    • Schweitzer
    • Pow Mow (learn to ski powder)
    • Targhee (learn to ski powder)
    • Brundage
    • Silver
    • Telluride
    • Taos
    • Sun Valley

2. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    Stay at a nearby town in place of at the resort town.
    Hailey ,ID is less than 10 miles of flat driving from Sun Valley.
    Sagel, ID is just across the bridge from Sandpointe (Schweitzer).
    Silver Mt., stay at the condos, splurge and splash; they are a pretty good deal on their own.
    Utah, stay in SLC. Scenic, NO. Cheaper YES.
    If you run Best Western Points January is often a killer deal for using them, last year was 10,000/ night.

marjoram_sage likes this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    marjoram_sage

I have not collected Best Western points but this looks like a good reason to start doing that.

4. Beartown

Beartown Chasing the dragon Skier

Kind of depends on your budget situation. I've stayed at a bunch of these places, mostly ski in/out, but that's pretty expensive. Also, some areas are really easy without a car; others no so much. All depends on the experience you want. Some places, slopeside is awesome but really limited on food options (AltaBird, Targhee, Taos, SV, PowMow). That might be no problem for you, just something to think about.

At Snowmass, I've stayed at the Westin and just up the road at a condo complex called Top of the Village. Both were great for access to the hill and village, but kinda pricey. The further you stay from the village in Snowmass, the cheaper it gets. I'd use VRBO and airbnb.

At Altabird, cheap means staying in SLC/Sandy/Cottonwood heights and driving or shuttling up the canyon, but this can leave you unable to get up during a big storm or on a crowded bus from the park and ride. At Alta, Goldminer's Daughter is a popular option, but it's expensive and kind of dorm-like. I've stayed in a few ski in/out VRBO houses/condos between the two resorts, as well as at the Cliff Lodge, which is very nice but again, spendy.

Park City if filled with hotels, condos, houses of all stripes/price ranges. Stay at the St Regis in Deer Valley, but it costs an arm and a leg. There's a bunch of hotel/condo options on the Canyons side, but then you have to drive or shuttle to PC to eat/shop (if you're interested in that stuff). You could even stay in Kimball Junction or even SLC, depending on your tolerance for the commute.

At Schweitzer, I've just stayed in Ponderay or Sandpoint. hotel rooms. cheap, easy.

Pow Mow just find a hotel room in Ogden. Lots of options. Nice to have a car to get there and Snowbasin, and probably overall cheaper than staying closer and paying more for lodging.

Targhee. I've just stayed in Jackson or Teton Village and driven over, but you should be able to find something cheap in Victor or Driggs. Again, nice to have a car. Not sure what shuttles there are to the mountain.

Telluride. I've VRBO'd in town, which is walkable mostly. Kind of a pain to get to T-ride without a car, but there are shuttles from Montrose. Mountain village is condo-heavy, so VRBO is your friend, but your food options are kind of limited. Can take gondola into village or town, which is unique but kind of a PITA for regular use.

Taos. Just got back. Stayed at the Blake. super nice, really expensive. A few condos in the village and on the way to the mountain from Taos, but kind of limited overall. there are shuttles from town if you wanted to stay there. VRBO options all over.

Sun Valley. I just VRBO'd in Ketchum and drove to the lot every morning. Pretty ample parking. Again, car plus lodging further away might be cheaper than no car with close lodging. also depends how you're getting there. Direct flights can be pretty expensive. If you have time/energy driving in or flying into Boise might save you enough money to offset car rental.

5. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    30% off in Canada, as long as the exchange rate holds....
    Ikon - Banff, Revelstoke. Stay in Banff and bus it. Revelstoke stay in town too.
    Epic - Whistler-Blackcomb - slope side. Try Whistler vacation rentals.

Banff and WB have shuttle from the airports too.

marjoram_sage likes this.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    marjoram_sage

yeah.. Banff would be perfect for April trip. I have been there in the summer. Lots of spectacular lakes. How do they look when frozen?

My buddy in Seattle will drag me to Whistler one of these years. They have a Hilton there where I can stay with points.