• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your favorite local bump

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
In contrast to the most overrated thread, what is your favorite local hill and what sets it apart?

I'll start - Nub's Nob in Northwest lower Michigan

The terrain and lifts have a great layout and there are rarely lift lines despite there being no detachable high-speed lifts. The snow making is second to none and it's in a nice lake effect pocket. Nubs can make snow faster and groom more consistent than anyone in the region. The management is top notch, they only do skiing, no golf, no ziplines, no hotel rooms. They stick to the schedule and calendar and get back to you within a couple hours if you email with a question. They also have the most fun race programs with racing three nights a week plus a speed events every other week mid season. It's a skiers hill, not a vacationers hill, but we also have a lot of fun post racing and skiing.

So what is your favorite bump and the reasons that make it your fave?

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I like this post..........

Right now, Welch Village......outside of the Twin Cities. Situated in a cool river valley amid the, GULP, corn and soy bean fields (where am I???!!!)

Cool little place with a retro vibe and the best terrain in the area, I DO NOT work for Welch. Font side has 6 trails with some decent grade. 3 of these trials have a grade that can rival that of most major ski areas. Grooming is decent and the lodge has home made soups. The secondary lodge has a huge bar and a fireplace. Never any lines and a great place to teach kids.

Best part: Unlike Afton Alps, which is part of the Vail umbrella, Welch never gets too crowded with families and individuals that ski with the Epic Pass. Another reason that seems to favor the independently owned and operated local bump.

Only thing missing, or that Welch needs, is a sound system playing super sounds of the 70's and 80's!!!!!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
PA - Blue Knob
West Virgina - Timberline
Vermont - Middlebury Snowbowl and Magic
Utah - Beaver Mountain

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Love this thread. Let Pugski be a positive place, not a complaints window. Your vibe attract s your tribe, like @Tricia says.

Let me postulate Bear Valley, CA. Second place I skied, and first time I came down a real run. With my kids. I will never forget. Low key, unassuming, park and ski.

And of course, Mt Rose. Lovely community , great vibe. Greay terrain. No attitude. Park and ski. And if you know where to park , with the locals, you are all set.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PA - Blue Knob
West Virgina - Timberline
Vermont - Middlebury Snowbowl and Magic
Utah - Beaver Mountain

Agree on PA, WV, and UT. Never skied in VT.

I will add that Snowbird has some under rated groomers and Alta has some under rated beginner terrain.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Where I sometimes go to take a novice on the cheap. Ski Soda Springs a bit west of Donner Summit on Interstate 80:

Soda%20Springs%20Map%20Updated%2012-6%20Flat.png

Walk up lift tickets are the cheapest in the Tahoe region at $40 walk up and $27 currently mid week on liftopia. Great place to bring a novice and kids. Also their tubing slope always has a lot of non-skiing families. And on fresh snow days an advance skier might actually ski more untracked than at huge nearby resorts simply because few advanced skiers on these slopes.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Pssst Bob. I'm looking at property myself. Small 100 ac ranch and a Wallowa tram skiing gig.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Calabogie Peaks in the Ottawa/Madawaska Valley. Highest vertical in Ontario. Great views from the top. Great ambiance too. 1 1/2 hr from the cottage, 2 1/2 hr from home. Separate beginner area, 2 quads, not bad food and an upstairs bar with no loud families, but great entertainment. Worth a day or weekend get away.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apex - Penticton B.C.
not really a small bump.
good steep lines, great bumps, decent snow and by far the least visited in B.C.'s Okanogan/Thompson region.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid