• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your favorite band..playing one album live...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
C'mon... of you're going to go with Rush, it should be "Roll the Bones". Although I guess moving pictures or fly by night are acceptable.
You just reminded me I saw Rush do 2112 in it's entirety when I first saw them. I hardly knew who they were, but they opened for BOC. Blown away at how solid they sounded!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fortunately I got to see many of my Favorites.
I’m with @Doug Briggs, Tull performing Thick as a Brick in 72’ is hard to beat, I was in the 2nd row for that one.
Yes! Close to the Edge & Tales from Topographic Oceans. I was leaning on Steve Howes foot pedals.
ELP! Brain Salad Surgery. Yup
The Who! Who’s Next, Quadrophenia, Tommy saw them even though it took me till last summer to see them play Tommy.
Deep Purple! In Rock, Fireball, Machinehead, the best parts anyway.
Return to Forever! The Romantic Warrior was incredible!
Although I am a huge Zep fan & got to see them in 73’ it would be difficult to choose just one album. I would prefer to have seen them at the very beginning in 69’ or 70’ when they just jammed it out for 3 or 4 hours.

So, for my one pick it’s gonna be The Jeff Beck Group playing the album”Truth” with all the guest musicians ie. Jimmy Page, Nicky Hopkins & Keith Moon.

Since I saw the Blow by Blow and Wired tours, I'd really like to see him do the Jeff Beck Group album.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
C'mon... of you're going to go with Rush, it should be "Roll the Bones". Although I guess moving pictures or fly by night are acceptable.
You just reminded me I saw Rush do 2112 in it's entirety when I first saw them. I hardly knew who they were, but they opened for BOC. Blown away at how solid they sounded!

Ya, 2112 would be my third choice from Rush. Seen them three times already. IMHO, Hemispheres was their greatest work. I'm not all that keen on anything after Signals though I own all of it.

A few shout outs above for The Police. I wrote it and backed out of it. Sad that they only managed to stay together long enough to put out just five solid albums before blowing up/apart. I saw their last two tours, Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was never a rush fan until I saw them live.... Was a fan after that. I love Kiss but am mainly a fan of the lineup after Peter Criss and Ace left. Revenge was a great record and I was happy to have seen that tour.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was never a rush fan until I saw them live.... Was a fan after that. I love Kiss but am mainly a fan of the lineup after Peter Criss and Ace left. Revenge was a great record and I was happy to have seen that tour.
Past life I was in a band with a guitar player who LOVED Vinnie Vincent above all..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Rush is a legend up here. Used to see Geddy behind the plate at Jays games. They played in high schools around Toronto back in the 70's..the odd person will tell me they saw them in a high school or bar back in the day. We used to joke they were the band that other bands listened to because they were so good technically.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a chance but passed. I believe @bbinder saw it too.
I did. Great concert! But afterwards I was kicking myself because Talking Heads regularly came through Ithaca, NY while I was in vet school and played a 300 seat venue. I passed on that... a side note — recently found out that a friend of mine from summer camp hung out at CBGBs in the seventies, was befriended by Andy Warhol and became the photographer that more or less chronicled the rise of punk music in NY.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier

I've been listening to Derek and the Dominoes a lot lately. Layla of course but also their Live at the Fillmore set. Duane Allman and Eric Clapton just blow me away with their guitar solos. Those guys were plugged in to another planet when they made that music.

So yeah, Eric Clapton as a heartbroken, pill popping, heroin addict - playing his guitar like it was the only thing he could do to stop the pain. That's what I would want to see.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Past life I was in a band with a guitar player who LOVED Vinnie Vincent above all..

That's awesome. Vinnie had issues I heard but was one heck of a guitar player and apparently a talented songwriter. I love the record he was on. I guess he wrote a bunch of other songs over the years working with kiss even after he was asked to leave.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lawrence Welk - Calcutta/Yellow Bird
Vaughan Monroe - Racing with the Moon
Glen Gray - Swing Tonic
Herman’s Hermits - Mrs. Brown
The Turtles - Happy Together/Greatest Hits
And anything by Led Zeppelin

except for led zep that could have been a playlist for my mom:)
i saw peter noone play hermans hermits music at hershey park, pa about ten years ago kind of on a lark. he was incredibly energetic and super friendly to the kids in the audience giving out dozens of cds during the performance. band was tight and sound close to original songs. i was impressed with their professionalism despite the setting on a hot summer day. enjoyable blast from the distant past.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am not a big fan of live albums. Having said that "Frampton Comes Alive" is one that I own and enjoy.

Other albums I enjoy that are not recorded live:
Beach Boys Greatest Hits and Pet Sounds
Meet the Beatles and Sargent Pepper
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Andre Bocelli - Romanza
Bruce Springsteen - Greatest Hits

That's enough for now I am sure I will think of more later.

Last edited:

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rush at a high school in St. Catharines back in 1974...who knew where they would go...
Look at all of those well-mannered Canadians in their seats... if it had happened in my school we'd have been on our feet in the aisles with the administration thinking maybe they should call the cops! ogwink

I can't pick one band or one album. The list would have to include... let's see...
Beethoven - the world premier of the Third Symphony
Puccini - the world premier of La bohème.
Roland Kirk at Montreux
SRV and Double Trouble - both of the Montreux sessions, and the last show.
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
Lester Young and Billie Holiday - one of the sessions from the mid '40's.
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Dexter Gordon - Go
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
The Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Be-Bop
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Porgy and Bess.
Charlie Parker - the night in '39 he was playing 'Cherokee' with Biddy Fleet, and the Reboppers session.​

I'm sure there are a lot I'm forgetting.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I am not a big fan of live albums. Having said that "Frampton Comes Alive" is one that I own and enjoy.
That used to be the best selling live album of all time. Probably still is since few by whole albums these days.
2yrs ago:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That used to be the best selling live album of all time. Probably still is since few by whole albums these days.
2yrs ago:
He is one of the great ones and probably does not get enough credit for his work. @James thanks for sharing the video.

Sponsor

Staff online