• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your demo request....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ill be snow in about 3 weeks from now. Is there any task or turn type you are dying to see done?

I also hope we can reopen the one footed skiing thread since video of one point of contact brushed one footed turn STILL does nt exist.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ill be snow in about 3 weeks from now. Is there any task or turn type you are dying to see done?

Ski switch! I am really curious. JB has a lovely demo up on the PSIA channel on youtube, and he does pretty much RR tracks in reverse. Now, he has very little lead change through the turns. Freestyle skiers tend to use a pronounced and intentional lead to make it easier to look downhill. JB, instead, looks back as he completes a turn and he is rather parallel to the slope. I wonder how you would do this.

The other thing I am dying to see but I think it is too much to ask, and too much to do, is a series of drills from beginner to expert. It could be a progression or drills needed for PSIA exams levels I-II-III. But that would be too much and too many. But perhaps a few fundamental ones as a progression. Again, I think this one is OTT and not quite a suggestion.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am pretty sure the JB demo is literally switch RR tracks, no?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Ill be snow in about 3 weeks from now. Is there any task or turn type you are dying to see done?.....

White pass turns, and the different ways of initiating them...
--one version with a countered and angulated "low" body (maybe cross-under transition).
--one version with an extended, long, inclined body (maybe cross-over transition).
--one version with arc-to-arc carving skis, longer radius.
--one version not carved, shorter radius.

Last edited:

Tip Nippley

Booting up
Inactive

I also hope we can reopen the one footed skiing thread since video of one point of contact brushed one footed turn STILL does not exist.

Are you implying that it can't be done either, or just that no video exists?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Are you implying that it can't be done either, or just that no video exists?

both....

so go take some video, before you say it CAN be done, so far there has been TONS of talk and claims and no actual results.

One footed(not switching foot) , non carved, no inside ski drag or poles touching the snow.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
carved/ boot being used as fulcrum point sometimes both....

those are easy to do the way that is being shown......

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
carved/ boot being used as fulcrum point sometimes both....

those are easy to do the way that is being shown......

You're changing the goal post to avoid being proven wrong.

Are there aspects of carving in those turns? Sure. Are they carved turns? No.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta agree with @jmeb here... it seems like those fit the definition of "One footed(not switching foot) , non carved, no inside ski drag or poles touching the snow."

Or perhaps the definition of "non-carved" would have to be clarified beyond how most people would use it here?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Find the non carved turn that arent being done with another point of contact. Just because they dont have ski on doesnt mean that boot hitting the ground doesnt matter.

Carving per a definition I have held for about a decade is any turn that is done with all input from balance and edging, rotary is passive.

I would also say any skidding you see in that video is done during the transition.

I just wanted to say this is not to detract from the USSA task they are doing, what they are doing is a great drill and they are doing it well, its just not non carved turned with out a fulcrum point.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Find the non carved turn that arent being done with another point of contact. Just because they dont have ski on doesnt mean that boot hitting the ground doesnt matter.

I don't see any other point of contact. The boot doesn't touch the snow in most of those turns.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
It doesnt touch when they are finally on edge high enough for sure but even the lightest touch at the transition will give you a fulcrum point. My initial finding as the rotation either has to come from the ski sidecut or a fulcrum point. In the case of the video there is VERY little touching and not done by the first guy in the teal pant but the turns are being done via sidecut, and or they are pivoting into a carve. if you went and looked at the tracks left behind I am certain you would see a single RR track.

Anyone in the USSA care to chime in? are those turns suppose to be done carved or not?

BTW this is the video that started old thread, I would still contend that turns off this low of an edge angle are impossible to do with out a fulcrum point, when the edge angle gets higher like the USSA video the sidecut is what cause the rotation.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Can you sideslip on one foot? Can you carve on one foot?

Sideslip is done by managing fore/aft balance and flattening the ski, right?

Seems to me that a brushed carve is somewhere between these two, and therefore must be possible by blending the moves?

There are some skis that are easier to carve and others that are easier to sideslip. Thinking wider skis, high stiffness, with minimal sidecut for sideslip, and narrow skis with softer flex (slalom) for carving. So it seems likely that there will be some skis that you could "brushed carve" more easily on one foot vs. carve on one foot.

Tip Nippley

Booting up
Inactive
I'm surprised your MA skills aren't better, Josh. What part about the tail of the ski being displaced more than the tip doesn't equal brushed/skidded turns to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.