• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Young ski Talent - Looking for camps

Kjm2591

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all! This is my first post and is my reason for joining in on this forum!

I am reaching out because I am the father of a young, talented skier.

I don’t want to be “one of those parents” but truly she is on another level for her age.
She is only 5 but is has been in a ski racing program since she was 4 with 8 year olds.

She is currently at Blue Mountain, PA and we will be relocating to the Killington area for the 20/21 season to join the KMS/KSC DEVO program.

This purpose of this post is for additional help in terms of finding camps that are usually designed for older kids but are possibly willing to let a younger kid in based on ability level.

Again, CAMPS.. not season long programs. Speed camps, skill camps, etc.

Are there any ski camps out there that are geared toward advanced young alpine skiers.. looking for hopefully something in the Northeast USA but we are willing to travel if necessary.

Everything I am finding online for camps is for U10 or older and anything at all for younger kids is more “intro to skiing” than anything else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I think it will be hard to find a camp for someone so young, in spite of her abilities.
If you could find a private coach, or get her private instruction that would be best, but expensive.

U10 means "under 10" but technically is 8 or 9 year olds, so perhaps you could find something like that, but they'd want to see her ski to let her join. I'd be surprised though if they'd let a 5 year old in.

@JTurner why would you think this is satire? Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

James

Out There
Instructor
What time period?
I’d contact the U10 camp.
You may have to find a coach.
Fun age.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Glad to see you on this forum.
I am also one of BMR parent now in U10 and I can imagine who you are referring to.
Yes. She's awesome and phenomenal at her age. I can't agree more.
And I am sorry to hear that I can no longer see her growing in BMR ..
If my now 4yrs old girl is as awesome as yours (unfortunately she's not..), I would first talk to one of coaches in BMR or Tom.
They would be definitely the best resources for you now..I believe.
Anyway best of my wishes to your kids in Killington!

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Honestly I think the issue is going to be that camps and race teams aren’t logistically set up to handle such young kinds. The coaches aren’t babysitters, and you can’t realistically let a 5 y/o be on their own at a ski area for hours at a time. They have to ride lifts, go to the bathroom, get food, get gear on/off/adjusted, take warming breaks, etc, by themselves.

Also, the mention (even as an example being thrown out) of a speed camp for a child that young made me chuckle.

beginnerskier96

Putting on skis
Skier
Ask the ski instructor at the ski resort about children's lessons. They are the only ones who can give you good information.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ask the ski instructor at the ski resort about children's lessons. They are the only ones who can give you good information.

This is about race programs. Ski instruction is a different fish that isn't really applicable to the OP's situation. Post 7 pretty much sorts things out.

bgronski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Check out Trollhaugen (Wisconsin) Thanksgiving Race Camp. I have coached at this camp for many years now. This camp has been drawing kids from all over the Midwest, and is unique in regards to other programs in the area.