• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You Ski Like a Girl!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now that this has been solved :eek:gcool,

Bikini-clad Swedish policewoman 'stops thief'

_90559093_mediaitem90559092.jpg

This was the third time this guy was arrested that day and 8th time that week..

Gives a new meaning to "Sun's out gun's out".

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While I think the discourse on this thread is remarkably civil - I just really wish there were a way to "ignore" a thread the way you can individual users. No one's budging on their positions, so it's all kind of bloviating. But I just can't manage to not click ... will make a stronger effort.
How can you be sure? I agree that when discussing symbolic problems like an ad in another country, it is rare for people to change their beliefs. It is all based on a priori reasoning and we are all coming from our own sets of facts, and point of view basically dictates how we interpret the symbol.

But when people unpack their experiences and points of view it gets a lot more interesting, educational, and persuasive. Just because there are two durable sides to an argument and that no clear consensus is reached doesn't mean that debate is besides the point. We will at least have better understanding of our own ideas and those of the other side, and perhaps increased respect for each other as well.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I look at that sign and see that the parents are responsible, mom is smart enough to ski well within her ability and dads ego says he has to better than mom and in over his head. Grandparents well sit back drinking hot toddies waiting to see dad in the sled.

The guided, the wise, the stupid and the soon to be amused.

BTW I must add I fall into the stupid group.
Best post in this thread! :beercheer:

But mostly I want to emphasize that it's not a blanket "not a big deal." I'm gonna pull rank and say that maybe some of us have earned the right to discern what is and what isn't a big deal. It's not all a big deal

I was thinking about the age differences as well, even though we're not THAT much older, there is a difference based on things we've experienced. I was also thinking that there is a bit of a difference based on where and how we grew up.

:golfclap::golfclap:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I would reply that any male or female needn't be below 10% body fat in order to be able to walk around naked.

Well they better carry a BIG sign then warning others!
300 pound humans in spandex can blind you for life, naked :eek: would triple the effect.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
... and I completely agree with your examples. I just don't find that this ad -- or people whining about female drivers or male nurses -- is the same thing. I think things like the ad get lumped together w important things, and it dilutes the real-world problems that actually exist.

You know... I think that I just think it's all more related than you do. If the real problems were fixed, someone in the room while that ad was being made would have said it was dumb, and someone else would have agreed, and that would have been that. Or, that concept never would have been thought of in the first place.

To be clear -- I totally understand that this ad is not a big deal, in and of itself. But I do think it's at least a little bit of a product of a culture that still has a lot of crap to work out as far as gender issues are concerned.

Also! Sometimes you just want to get a result, you know? You can walk the walk and live it and all that, but that gets exhausting, and sometimes I just want to fix something NOW. You can't really fix anything now when an issue is this complicated, so it's easy to take satisfaction from getting a stupid ad taken down. It makes you feel less helpless in the face of something that's going to take another few decades to fix all the way.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You know... I think that I just think it's all more related than you do. If the real problems were fixed, someone in the room while that ad was being made would have said it was dumb, and someone else would have agreed, and that would have been that. Or, that concept never would have been thought of in the first place.

To be clear -- I totally understand that this ad is not a big deal, in and of itself. But I do think it's at least a little bit of a product of a culture that still has a lot of crap to work out as far as gender issues are concerned.

Also! Sometimes you just want to get a result, you know? You can walk the walk and live it and all that, but that gets exhausting, and sometimes I just want to fix something NOW. You can't really fix anything now when an issue is this complicated, so it's easy to take satisfaction from getting a stupid ad taken down. It makes you feel less helpless in the face of something that's going to take another few decades to fix all the way.

Yep. And this is why a lot of us just ignore the small stuff. IMO, it takes too much energy that should be spent doing what you do, and do very well.

The other thing is that you don't know about all the victories you might already have won, because they did end up on the cutting room floor, right? How many things never saw the light of day? We'll never know exactly, but I guarantee they are there.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
To someone who calibrated their systems at a time when women were treated far worse than they are today, the less-bad stuff may not register the same way.

The insinuation is that those who can be offended are "delicate" and "weak". As I said early on, I didn't find the banner offensive. I just recognized it as biased and discriminatory and called it out as such. Lots of things are wrong, but not offensive.

If the real problems were fixed, someone in the room while that ad was being made would have said it was dumb, and someone else would have agreed, and that would have been that. Or, that concept never would have been thought of in the first place.

I've been reading this thread but not posting. Guess it's time to say my part.

I'm 66, so I "calibrated" my system" at a time when women were treated far worse," as Monique describes above. I entered college as a physics major in 1968. I was a shy young thing, simply in love with numbers and complicated numerical descriptions of the way the world works. In my youthful dreams I saw myself as a theoretical physicist in a white lab coat (I know, I know, no lab coat required for theory, but what did I know). My advisor asked my why I wanted to be a physics major, since all I was going to do was get married and have kids. What a let-down. I knew then that I could not turn to him to be a good mentor, but I didn't quit the major. But when my Electromagnetics Lab prof took all the other majors (all male; I was the only female in the department) aside and told "dirty" jokes, loudly, and they all laughed and turned and looked at me, that was it. I could see myself as the female "victim" of the joke, and they could too. I quit the major. That's what they wanted me to do, and it worked. Today these men would not have been successful in their desire to derail me from the major I wanted, but back in 1969 I was young and unprepared to fight.

This set of events began my growing sensitivity to things in our culture that send the message that women can't or shouldn't do certain things. It still angers me when I hear people imply that the person who finds something like that banner distasteful is "weak" or "delicate." Quite the contrary; the person who objects to this banner and its ilk is strong and unafraid to stand up for making things better. I agree with RachelV, someone in that room planning the banner should have said, wait a minute, this is dumb. But no one did. There's the problem. Some of us are saying it now. That's not a problem; it's the right thing to do.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been reading this thread but not posting. Guess it's time to say my part.

I'm 66, so I "calibrated" my system" at a time when women were treated far worse," as Monique describes above. I entered college as a physics major in 1968. I was a shy young thing, simply in love with numbers and complicated numerical descriptions of the way the world works. In my youthful dreams I saw myself as a theoretical physicist in a white lab coat (I know, I know, no lab coat required for theory, but what did I know). My advisor asked my why I wanted to be a physics major, since all I was going to do was get married and have kids. What a let-down. I knew then that I could not turn to him to be a good mentor, but I didn't quit the major. But when my Electromagnetics Lab prof took all the other majors (all male; I was the only female in the department) aside and told "dirty" jokes, loudly, and they all laughed and turned and looked at me, that was it. I could see myself as the female "victim" of the joke, and they could too. I quit the major. That's what they wanted me to do, and it worked. Today these men would not have been successful in their desire to derail me from the major I wanted, but back in 1969 I was young and unprepared to fight.

This set of events began my growing sensitivity to things in our culture that send the message that women can't or shouldn't do certain things. It still angers me when I hear people imply that the person who finds something like that banner distasteful is "weak" or "delicate." Quite the contrary; the person who objects to this banner and its ilk is strong and unafraid to stand up for making things better. I agree with RachelV, someone in that room planning the banner should have said, wait a minute, this is dumb. But no one did. There's the problem. Some of us are saying it now. That's not a problem; it's the right thing to do.

There are different opinions as to what is discriminatory and what is not. There are differences of opinion as to what the right response is. I don't think anyone here is implying people are weak or delicate. It is not black and white or right or wrong. I think the discussion here has highlighted the many different views of many strong women.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think the discussion here has highlighted the many different views of many strong women.

And highlighted the critical fact that women, like men, don't all share the same views on this subject. "Reasonable people can disagree" and all that.

Sponsor