• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You should add water to you whisky!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
As in the picture from the article, I usually just add an ice cube to my whiskey. That way it starts off strong and gently mellows as the ice melts.

7022741021_a5c8d9e8a7_o.jpg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always added a splash because that's how dad did it. Now, I know there may have been scientific method to his madness!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The water should not be tap water, the father of a friend told me years ago that he made is ice from distilled water because if you spend all that money on a good bottle of booze why screw it up with tap water. It was good advice, now I only use filtered water for any of my drinks that I include water or ice. It also is great when making coffee.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, I get a daily email from Smithsonian and saw that last week. Since then, I've been adding a splash of distilled (reverse osmosis) water and I do rather like it.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At a scotch tasting club I belong to , "The Companions of the Quaich", they always have bottles of water on the table. Some people add a teaspoon to their dram, but usually only if it is a cask strength. Some people drink their water out of a glass. I usually take mine neat, but on occasion have added water. Sometimes the presenter, in his little talk about the particular sample we are tasting, will recommend some water to open it. In those cases I do, I figure he knows more than me. But only when I'm doing serious tasting, or drinking the $200 dollar bottles. Otherwise, its two cubes. ( I know, sacrilege)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And "put your sugar in your tea!"

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I've read that the only water you should add to single-malt is the water with which it was made -- and then only a couple of drops.

I'm no purist however, and I more often drink Irish or bourbon. Really good highlands scotch costs a lot.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have found the best dilution method through many long years of dedicated scientific research. My years of expensive research has shown it to be two to three drops of Scotch diluted by fresh saliva directly on the tongue. The amount of saliva is automatically controlled by the brain so that it is correct whether you are drinking 150 or 86 Proof Scotch.

It is true that there are less "flavour molecules" at the air-liquid interface, where you sip your scotch from, but this is by design. As your toungue acclimatizes to the Scotch, the Scotch gets stronger (lower concentration removed by the sip than concentration remaining in the glass) to compensate (for this same reason you must leave tea in the cup/pot as you drink it). By the time you get the bottom of the glass you have tasted All the "the flavour molecules", except for those remaining stuck to the glass. The science in the article is sound, but the results were misinterpreted.

You must then wash these "legs" off the glass surface by pouring another one.

If you drink your Scotch too quickly, instead of sipping it very slowly, you may have to add water or ice.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's very important to add water to good scotch. Promptly after sipping and enjoying the undiluted flavor of your neat scotch. rehydrate with water. Dilute that scotch only in your stomach!

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I went to a Whiskey session at the local liquor store this past week.
During the actual tasting we sipped straight, then added a tiny bit of water to see how it opened up. Interesting class.

It was $20/person for this 2 hour Whiskey session. We got 8 shots of different whiskey, each with a different price point and type.
Well worth the 20/person.

Sponsor