• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You never forget your first.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
OK, I'll play.

First real ski [that stick in my memory}: Kastle SL, wood, 180cm. 1965. I was 11 {Yes skis were long then and I was a big kid}. Small version of the 1964 Gold Medal Winning ski. Nevada toe, Marker turntable binding with the long thongs.
First non-wood race skis: Stratos. A bunch of them.
First real serious race room ski: 212cm Dynamic GS, clear bases, engraved sidewalls, big spring red Look bindings. USST skis.
Favorite race room skis: 204cm K2 VO's. Managed to snag a number of parts of the R stock.
First "shaped ski": K2 Four, 188cm. 1995, I think, two days after watching Bode kill it at Nationals.. They felt TINY. They sure changed my skiing. Became a quick convert.
First Real Boot: 1965 Molitor lace leather race boot. And they fit. First buckle boot, 1966 Hierling. Leather. Killer race boot.
First "plastic" boot: 1967 Lange Comp. My older brother and I had the same size feet, and he was racing in them. So cool. So brutal. Followed by about 40 years of Lange race boots. One pair of Dobermann's about 12 years ago.
Bindings: After the Nevada/Marker set-up, and a full Nevada set-up, went to Salomon toes, and Rototmat heels. The preferred Warren Witherall set-up. Guy was a stickler for it.
Powder ski: Stocki Stormrider DP Pros.
First Helmet: first race helmet was a Bell. Just like on the USST guys in 1966. Only wore it for some GS races, and then DH. {no SG then}. Dad would determine which GS races.
First everyday helmet: Briko, 1990. Decided to set an example for our 3 year old. Mom had a sweet Boeri, a metal flake royal blue. I had Briko goggles to git with my helmet, like the WC boys. Still have about five pairs in a drawer.
First "real" tuning gear: the 10" Nicholson bastard file, a stone, a roll of athletic tape, metal scraper, old iron from mom {non steam}.
Poles: Scott comp poles from 1965 until my son picked up a deal with Komperdell around 2008.
First roof ski box: the original Yakima "Rocket Box". Lasted forever. Like 20+ years.
Gloves: My hunch on Reusch gloves and mitts in our house is 100+ pairs, easily, going back to the mid-80's. Moved away from those, as the price went nuts! Kinco's are more my price. Hestra's for the girls. My wife has a lifetime supply of the Nor-Am Reusch mitts for cold days.
Best piece of clothing ever: the mint Degre 7 pullover that I sold to Bill Talbot when I momentarily outgrew it{see his photo!} My 28 year old son will never forgive me. Ha!
XC: Nope. Have just never gotten into XC, though it's never too late, I guess. I do have my late father's favorite all wooden 210cm Madshus Birkebeiner's in my possession, though. On display. He loved them. Old school, even when he was skiing on them in the early 90's.
AT/BC: It's in the works. Kids are on it.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
  • Real ski rossi scratch bc
  • Real boot Lange rx130
  • Race ski I don't race skis
  • Powder Ski 4frnt vct
  • Quiver Atomic Bentchetler and Access
  • Helmet Giro G10mx
  • Piece of real tuning gear never had to buy my own
  • BC set up Katana/Dukes (this is why I laugh at weight wienes)
  • other

scottmartin49

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Grew up in Vermont, and learned to ski with my cousins on a barrel full of old wire binding skis my Dad and Uncle picked up when they were 'outlawed'. We jumped, we xc'd, we downhilled on the road, and we must have broken twenty pair of them! :D

After a couple of years on rentals through the school ski program, I bought my own (used) pair at a swap sale. A pair of Red, White, and Blue K2's just like the Mahre's had! I couldn't have been prouder and happier of anything else, ever. :)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
White Rockets @ Northern Warfare Training Center Ft.Greely,Ak

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
  • Real ski- Yamaha Paramount Combi -195
  • Real boot - The Iron Maiden of ski boots - the 1978 Lange Banshee XL1000
  • Bump ski - Volkl Freestyle - 180
  • Race ski - Head SL - 205 - white with brown lettering
  • Powder Ski - Dynastar Omesoft - 203
  • Quiver - Dynastar Course SL - 203, Dynamic VR27 Geant - 210, Head Super DH - 223
  • Helmet - Marker
  • Piece of real tuning gear - various files and corks, 4 x 4 1/8" steel straight edge
  • BC set up - none
  • other - First ski area - Craigmeur, NJ
  • other - First ski vehicle -1977 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4, extended cab

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hah! Found a pic that is pretty close to my first boot ever (mine had a bluer tint and a larger alpina logo at the ankle)

s-l1600.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just having a conversation with @SBrown about firsts. What was your first...

• Real ski - K2 SP51
  • 1930806_88984940017_470_n.jpg
  • Real boot Alpina (can't remember the model)
  • Race ski - Blizzard SL
  • Powder Ski - DPS Yvette (My first Michigan Powder ski was a Volk Karma ;) )
  • Quiver
  • 1910589_19196270017_755_n.jpg

• Helmet - Giro Fuse
  • Piece of real tuning gear - This fine tuning stand from @SlideWright
  • 1909531_139073500017_6654632_n.jpg

• BC set up - Don't have one
  • Ski Trip - Stowe Vermont December 2006
  • Ski lesson - Stowe ESA 2006

Anne

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have not skied for a long time...
First ski - Atomic Cloud 9
First boots - Salomon Divine 7
First powder ski - Blizzard Crush
First helmet - Head Grace
First tuning piece - ski iron and wax

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
First real ski - Hart Competition - Actually had 3 pairs because the tips broke off the first two.

First bindings I don't remember, but I do remember a set of Burt Retractables that were fun in the lift line - pop out of them and the cable would pull them back on. Weighed a ton.

First shaped ski - 1995, Elan SCX, 167 cm . At the time, I was working for American Skiing Co. and I was one of three instructors at the mountain doing free guided demos on the SCX. We provided the skis for free and then offered a voucher allowing participants to purchase a pair of SCX's for $267.00. I did 3 two hour sessions a day. No one else (including other instructors) was skiing on shapes that first year. At the end of the day I would jump on my 200 cm Volkl P20 SL Comps (I think that was the model) and suffer from "parabolic disease", which involved moving to the inside too quickly and falling on my ass.

First real boot - Rosemont.

First (and current) powder ski - Volkl Shiro.

First helmet - Giro my wife bought for me which I refused to wear until I realized how warm it was.

First ski lesson - The 2nd day I skied (I was in my early 30's) and every Sunday for two years thereafter until I graduated from "F Class, Short/swing Wehdel" (sp?).

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First shaped ski - 1995, Elan SCX, 167 cm . At the time, I was working for American Skiing Co. and I was one of three instructors at the mountain doing free guided demos on the SCX. We provided the skis for free and then offered a voucher allowing participants to purchase a pair of SCX's for $267.00. I did 3 two hour sessions a day. No one else (including other instructors) was skiing on shapes that first year. At the end of the day I would jump on my 200 cm Volkl P20 SL Comps (I think that was the model) and suffer from "parabolic disease", which involved moving to the inside too quickly and falling on my ass.

That was a rea interesting program I believe @Bob Barnes was working with Elan at that point as last and could shed some light on it. SCX's were my first shape (and only true Parabolic) and dealers had their own program where we were taken out with Bill Irwin and Geoff Bruce and shown how to ski them. When that light went off, wow.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
That was a rea interesting program I believe @Bob Barnes was working with Elan at that point as last and could shed some light on it. SCX's were my first shape (and only true Parabolic) and dealers had their own program where we were taken out with Bill Irwin and Geoff Bruce and shown how to ski them. When that light went off, wow.

I remember Bill Irwin, I last saw him at Snowbird during a PSIA National Academy about 8 years ago. He was still with Elan then; is he still around?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember Bill Irwin, I last saw him at Snowbird during a PSIA National Academy about 8 years ago. He was still with Elan then; is he still around?
He's still around, and still with Elan.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
  • Real ski : don't remember
  • Real boot : Raichle 5 buckles
  • Race ski : Maxel GS Skis cm 200
  • Powder Ski : in modern sense, voelkl gotama m.y. 2012, otherwise see bc setup below
  • Quiver: Nordica Hot Rod + Voelkl Gotama
  • Helmet : still the current one, a Giro Bad Leutenant, don't like the "race replica" helmets
  • Piece of real tuning gear : don't remember
  • BC set up : Maxel GS skis w/ Silvretta bindings after I discontinued the Maxel as "piste skis" (in truth I skied everything with whatever I had strapped onto my feet...), didn't like the AT skis of the times, too short and unstable while skiing down
  • other: ooooh, those were the years!!!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
  • Real ski - Fischer Alu Jr.
  • Real boot. - Le Trappeur something Jr ... Had leather lace ups and another leather buckle boot, but the LeT was the one.
  • Race ski - VR 17 Jr.
  • Powder Ski - Rossi Bandit XXX 193 with metal. And some Tua Mega Excaliburs, but the XXXs where a game changer.
  • Quiver - race stuff.. Fischer C4 SLs (red tips) and C4 GS.
  • Helmet - a snowmobile helmet.. Had to have it for GS starting around 10th grade.
  • Piece of real tuning gear... 10" mill bastard file.
  • BC set up... Some Crispi leather boots, a really crappy pair of Kastle 'extreme' something or ruthers, and Volie 3 pin cable bindings. An awful set up, but huge fun... changed my life.
  • other. - Carol. (Heart emoticon)