• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You never forget your first.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
  • Real ski -- some early 1990's era K2. TRC for some reason rings a bell.
  • Real boot -- some kind of a Lange, I think. It was about the time that Banshee's had clear-plastic shells. I think...
  • Race ski -- Rossignol 7SK's. Like I had any business whatsoever being on those things.
  • Powder Ski -- I've only ever had one "real" powder ski. Nordica Patron. Still have them. Still waiting for a powder day this season. :(
  • Helmet -- some kind of Boeri.
  • Piece of real tuning gear -- Moonflex diamond stones. They've been keeping my skis sharp for two seasons now!
  • Other -- first place I ever skied was Wisp, Maryland back in December 1992.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
you may not forget your first but i certainly have forgotten her name!! :huh:

Wait, how did you even meet her? I mean I knew her rep was all over school but internationally :eek::)

• Real ski -- some early 1990's era K2. TRC for some reason rings a bell.
  • Real boot -- some kind of a Lange, I think. It was about the time that Banshee's had clear-plastic shells. I think...
  • Race ski -- Rossignol 7SK's. Like I had any business whatsoever being on those things.
  • Other -- first place I ever skied was Wisp, Maryland back in December 1992.

Around that time I had a pair of bent TNCs that I'd plucked out of the trash and -sort of- bent back in a vise. Went from a fluff-soft SanMarco CX555 to a Lange L10. Interesting that you chose Wisp, tho, since Whitetail was open by Dec. of '92.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Top Three Skiing Firsts

Never traveled much from Philly in my youth. A college friend invited my to ski at Stratton. The ride up was phenomenal, full moon following a snowstorm. I was amazed just looking at the mountains, Toto, we are not in the Pocono's any more. Stratton was huge!

Oooh thats a good one.

First ski resort: TUSSEY MOUNTAIN REPRESENT!

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Interesting that you chose Wisp, tho, since Whitetail was open by Dec. of '92.

Some friends of mine had a condo at the base of Wisp. They had called me up, asked "what are you doing this weekend?", I said "no idea" and they said "you're coming with us and learning how to ski". So I went with them. I didn't have anything better to do that weekend.

I didn't really "learn to ski" that weekend so much as I learned that I was a hopeless klutz who had no business being near anything slippery. But I refused to believe that I was that much of a klutz. So I went again. And so the addiction began. :thumb:

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
First ski Head something or other
First boot Nordica
First shaped ski . Rossi cut
First real boot Lange 4 buckle with super power strap
First race ski a Dynastar. 63
First helmet Briko World Cup racer
fIrst poles . Scott World Cup
First injury hahahaha broken wrist , but skied all damn day with it
Feeling st the end of the first day "........FN awesome !!!

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Never traveled much from Philly in my youth. A college friend invited my to ski at Stratton. The ride up was phenomenal, full moon following a snowstorm. I was amazed just looking at the mountains, Toto, we are not in the Pocono's any more. Stratton was huge!

Ha! My first real ski trip was with a friend back in 95; we drove from from Washington DC to Stowe, VT.

We could cruise the blues of Liberty and Roundtop (600 foot high bumps, if that) somewhat competently at that time. When we pulled into Stowe and looked up -- :eek:. By the time we finished our first chairlift ride over Liftline (which hadn't been groomed recently and had massive moguls) we were doing even more :eek:. and wondering exactly what we had gotten ourselves into. The sight of ski tracks in Upper Upper Liftline was even more mind boggling.

We were really glad to see the unloading station of the lift because it couldn't possibly keep getting worse. We quickly looked for the "easy way down" signs and wound up skiing Toll Road all the way down on the first run eventually "working our way up" to the blues. Discovered Main Street (it was a blue back then...) at some point during our stay which for a long time was the steepest piece of real estate that I've fallen down.

The memories of that first "big mountain" lift ride and seeing what "real terrain" looks like has never left me. I've loved Stowe ever since. You never forget your first!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Real ski -- Fischer something or other. They were blue. I was 4 or 5.
  • Real boot -- The first ones I remember were orange Lange hand-me-downs from another racer. They had a regular old bolt in the cuff adjustment place. It hurt all day every day. Probably part of what made me quit racing.
  • Race ski -- Pre something or other. They were 195s.
  • Powder Ski -- Head Sweet Fat Things.
  • Quiver -- Those Heads and Rossi Attraxion Vs.
  • Helmet -- Giro something black.
  • Piece of real tuning gear -- I had a full hand edging kit back in my racing days.
  • BC set up -- None yet. Planning to put one on my Volkl Auras one of these days.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Top Three Skiing Firsts -

• Skiing above treeline in Chile in 1992. Having only skied in Idaho/Wyoming/Utah/Alaska before then I was so confused.
  • Skiing Europe in 2014. I had a work trip to Rome so I took a long weekend after and went up to the Aosta Valley and skied Courmayeur and La Thuile. I was by myself, with no tour guides, just figured out my way around, talked to locals where I could and enjoyed every single minute.
  • Cat skiing with the Colorado Crew (plus a few others) last year at Irwin. An amazing day that I almost missed out on but luckily did not.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Real ski - K2 610, 1980
  • Real boot - Nordica Hurricane (2 sizes too big), 1980
  • First real boot that fits - Dale Boot 1981
  • Race ski - Fischer RC4 SL 205 cm 1981
  • Powder Ski - Salomon X-Mountain 1995
  • First Quiver - Fischer RC4 SL 205 cm, Fischer Aerolite 200 cm - 1982. The RC4 SL was kicking my ass real bad.
  • Helmet - Smith Variance 2010
  • Piece of real tuning gear - DMT diamond stone , red, 600 grit
  • First ski area - Scotch Valley, NY, 1978
  • First western trip - SLC, skied all seven areas, 1981 - Solitude day tickets were $5.
  • First European trip - Courmayeur & Chamonix, 1983

DEstrada

Booting up
Skier
  • Real ski - Olin Mark V
  • Real boot - Lange ZR
  • Race ski - Olin Mark V
  • Powder Ski - It was a Dynastar from the '03 season. I cannot remember the model.
  • Quiver - Spalding Squadra Corse GS, Kastle RX 15 Super G, Kastle National Team SL, Kastle National Team GS
  • Helmet - Jofa.
  • Piece of real tuning gear - I had a collection of files, stones, corks since the 80s. I invested in a Holmenkol World Cup Iron in the late 90s. It's still working today.
  • BC set up - Working on it.
  • other - First Gore-Tex jacket - The North Face Mountain Guide from 1999. I'm still using it today.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
  • Rossignol ST / Marker M4 15?
  • Dolomite Secret Weapon
  • Makalu glacier sunglasses

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
  • Rossignol ST / Marker M4 15?
  • Dolomite Secret Weapon
  • Makalu glacier sunglasses
I had a pair of Secret Weapons....LOL, so bad. My Rossi ST's had Salomon 727E's on them because at 140lb, I needed the Equipe.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just having a conversation with @SBrown about firsts. What was your first...
  • Real ski
  • Real boot
  • Race ski
  • Powder Ski
  • Quiver
  • Helmet
  • Piece of real tuning gear
  • BC set up
  • other
Let's see...
  • Rossi Strato 102
  • Some 2nd-hand Lange thing better forgotten
  • Never
  • K2 Work Stinx
  • Above-mentioned Work Stinx and G3 Barons
  • Some horrible Boeri
  • A garage-sale iron for waxing
  • Fischer 77s w/ Silveretta bindings
  • Teri

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Real ski: volkl t50 5*
  • Real boot: technically creamsicle diablos
  • Race ski: na
  • Powder Ski: scott p4
  • Quiver: volkl t50 and fischer big stix 80
  • Helmet: don't remember
  • Piece of real tuning gear: wax
  • BC set up: fischer big stix with frischi freerides BD kicker skins

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just having a conversation with @SBrown about firsts. What was your first...

• Real ski-hart Gremlins, real enough for me, first "new" ski after cut off Northlands.
  • Real boot-Hanson Citations after many pairs of 2nd hand junk that were WAY too big for me
  • Race ski-K2 710 FO
  • Powder Ski-RD Coyote HeliDog
  • Quiver-Freestyle comp quiver, 160 cm K2 233 mids for air, 175 cm Rossi FMs for bumps, and groove filled 130 hart gremlins for ballet.
  • Helmet-Leedham (SP?), still using it
  • Piece of real tuning gear-cork, $15 iron, a stone, and a file I still have, still somewhat useful too.
  • BC set up-someday?
  • other-Ski car... Trooper LS, Forester even more of a "ski car".

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
First pair of ski boots I purchased myself: Scott super lights, and of course I still have them in my "museum". Wore them on a college ski class trip to Steamboat. We were staying slopeside at the Storm Meadows Condos. I skied to the bottom of the ski area and the lifts closed, so I had to hike uphill to our condo. Those boots rubbed my shins raw to the point of bleeding. But they looked cool!

First pair of fairly good skis: Dynastar CSX with Salomon 727 bindings. Again, have them in my "museum".

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Firsts:
  • Real skis:
    Race: Head Slalom (around 1974, orange with cracked edges).
    Freestyle: Hart Freestyle. Got 'em the 1st year they came out. Broke 3 sets.
  • Real boot:
    Nordica Grand Prix. The Screaming Yellow Zonkers. Destroyed them in one season.
    Lange Banshee. Yep, the original orange, heavy, feel-like-cement boots. Still have 'em on a shelf.
  • Powder Ski:
    Haven't owned a true set of powder skis. Closest thing I have now is a pair of 2012/2013 Kastle LX92s. Work pretty well in up to a foot of powder.
  • Helmet:
    See my pic above.
  • Piece of real tuning gear
    A true 'euro brand non-tapered file designed for flat filing skis, a nice steel scraper and a nice, flat, fine grit carbide stone.
  • Honourable mention:
    LAST awesome straight skis I used regularly: Rossignol VAS Excess (GS). They were 1994 or 1995 models I think. I loved those things. In fact, these qualify for another first on my list: the FIRST Rossignols I actually enjoyed.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
  • Real ski. = Fisher President Combi 200 CM
  • Real boot = Lange Standard (Black with Blue Lange Flo liner)
  • Binding = Look Nevada II Toe & Grand Prix N17 Heel
  • Race ski = Hexcel Comp 200 CM
  • Powder Ski = Not yet
  • Quiver = Olin Mark IV & Hexcel Comp (only two pair in my first quiver)
  • Helmet = Gyro
  • Ski Rack for car = Dover 120
  • Piece of real tuning gear = 12 inch double cut file
  • BC set up = Not yet
  • X-country ski = Rossignol 210 CM
  • other

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Real Ski - Volkl P9

Real Boot - Nordica Hot Rod 125

Binding - Look Pivots

Race Ski - not yet

Powder Ski - never owned a ski over 105mm

Helmet - Smith Maze (purchased last year)

Ski Rack - Back of my Subaru wagon

Piece of Real Tuning Gear - you are supposed to tune your equipment?

BC set up - boot packing with skis on my back?

X-Country Ski - never!

Other - My very first ski experience was at Camp Gaw in Mahwah, NJ. One tow rope, one t-bar, and two fixed grip doubles serving approximately 300 vertical. I was 4 years old and I killed it.

Sponsor

Staff online