• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You never forget your first.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just having a conversation with @SBrown about firsts. What was your first...

• Real ski
  • Real boot
  • Race ski
  • Powder Ski
  • Quiver
  • Helmet
  • Piece of real tuning gear
  • BC set up
  • other

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Real ski and race ski: Head 720, which replaced a Head 320 W. I never actually raced anything other than NASTAR with any of my race skis.

Real boot: Nordica Slalom, which replaced a plastic coated Trappeur that was sort of ok.

Quiver: Added a Kneissl Red Star SL to the 720's, then a Hot Head for experimenting with freestyle, which I got rid of and replaced with the Hart Ballet. I still have all of these.

Powder ski: Huh? You mean the Red Stars weren't good enough?

Helmet: Mrs. Claystone gave me a Giro for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Tuning gear: Riiiiight. Always used some combo of assorted hardware store files and clothes irons until I got a little tiny Swix edge bevel toy about 3 years ago.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
First real/non-rental ski was a decade-old, unused second-hand Volkl G3 Vertigo (from the early 2000s). Then I passed those on to my dad (his skis needed to join the 21st century), got on some free, beat-up Volkl 724 AX4, and paired those with a pair of Volkl Katanas as my fat ski/almost modern ski. That was a 2008 model I think, completely flat with no camber or rocker at all. Then I replaced the Katanas with a pair of Nordica Unleashed Hell, to bring me into the modern rocker/flat style fat skis. I'm still skiing those 724s, but I'm looking at a pair of Moments on the local Craigslist now that will hopefully take most of the time away from the 724s.

First boots were a pair of Nordica Hot Rods. Beginner-ish boots, but they were cheap. Now I'm in Nordica Hell and Backs.

My first tuning equipment was a cheap tuning kit from the local ski shop. It had a file, guide, wax, gummi stone, and scraper. No stones. I still use an old laundry iron for waxing, but at least I have a real set of diamond stones and guides now.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about first "real" skis, boots etc, but this was all my first ski equipment! I'm sure glad times have changed.
  • Real ski: K2 Nouveau Elite
  • Real boot:Some Salomon rear entry boot
  • Race ski: None
  • Powder Ski: K2 Phat Luv
  • Quiver: Still working on it
  • Helmet: Some Smith
  • Piece of real tuning gear: I have a Swix iron!
  • BC set up: K2 Sidekicks with Frischi bindings (not a light set up!)

James

Out There
Instructor
Ha first "real" boot. Trappeur something. Huge orange plastic thing. Had an enormous, like nearly 3/8 thick steel support in back. Heavy as all hell. I remember boot packing in mid shin to knee depth snow for like 45 minutes once. It's just exercise when you're young. Overall boot was probably horrible. Probably 2 sizes too big. I remember when I got the Lange Tii boot how incredibly light it felt. That was a good boot. First good boot! Except that was at least 1 size too big. Maybe 2.

First real Ski: Rossignol Strato 102 ! Loved that ski. The blue base, brown top sheet. I had to laugh last weekend when I had a kid whose skis "were too long" he said. They were a little longer than he was used to, but I remember getting the Rossis and it was stick your arm straight up, and the ski either came to the tips of the fingers or below the palm. I think mine was tips of fingers since I had to "grow into" them. lol

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
  • Real ski, Rossignol Smash
  • Real boot, Nordica Slalom (Banana Boot)
  • Race ski, Rossignol ST650
  • Powder Ski, Volkl Snow Ranger
  • Quiver, Rossi Smash/Rossi ST Comp
  • Helmet, Moriarty hat
  • Piece of real tuning gear, Nicholson, Mill Smooth file
  • BC set up, Ramer Grand Tour w/Salewa AT bindings
  • other, first high backed boots, Jet Stix on hand me down boots

James

Out There
Instructor
  • Real ski, Rossignol Smash
  • Real boot, Nordica Slalom (Banana Boot)
  • Race ski, Rossignol ST650
  • Powder Ski, Volkl Snow Ranger
  • Quiver, Rossi Smash/Rossi ST Comp
  • Helmet, Moriarty hat
  • Piece of real tuning gear, Nicholson, Mill Smooth file
  • BC set up, Ramer Grand Tour w/Salewa AT bindings
  • other, first high backed boots, Jet Stix on hand me down boots
So when was the first curated purchase for your Living Ski Museum?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So when was the first curated purchase for your Living Ski Museum?
Actually not until the late 90's. I had my stuff piling up as I never sell anything, but adding 'wanted' older stuff I didn't have started around then.
We went into the new building in '05...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
  • Elans w. cable bindings, blue with yellow stripes, predated the CR series
  • Alpina vinyl laceups
  • Elan RC 05
  • Miller Soft
  • Atomic ARC 635/ K2 710 / Elan RC Titanium G/ Elan RC Kevlar PL/ Elan RC Ultimate M
  • Jofa something or other
  • ESS clamp vises
  • Tua Excalibur/ Silvretta 404s
  • never went high back on alpine but I had the add-on plastic telemark cuffs

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Real ski -- first I remember was Olin Mark IV? it was orange, 180, I remember length because I was allowed to ski Outhouse
  • Real boot -- don't remember, but the first ones I bought by myself were gray Tecnicas with pink accents, and too big
  • Race ski -- nope
  • Powder Ski -- Volkl Queen Attiva in ahem 164
  • Quiver -- ^^
  • Helmet -- Giro sumpin silver
  • Piece of real tuning gear -- something metal like
  • BC set up -- Volkl Auras and Dynafit Speed Radicals

Ok ... that's what I remember

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
  • Real ski- Volkl Energy 320 Gamma. Length something stupid like 142.
  • Real boot- I thought it was a Nordica beast but actually I think that was my second boot, my first boot I don't remember other than that it was several shell sizes too big.
  • Race ski- LOL
  • Powder Ski- Uhm I guess Volkl Kiku but I skied it all mountain
  • Quiver- LOL
  • Helmet- Giro sumpin silver
  • Piece of real tuning gear- I mean, I just have a wax iron and some scrapers. I think the iron may have been replaced with a new one when it broke?
  • BC set up- Volkl Aura with Dynafit TLT Radicals
  • other
Fun fact, I've only owned 3 pairs of boots and I only have the one bc setup. I think my total count of skis owned comes to a grand total of 6.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not sure my list is in your format but...
First skis, my Mom's old wood race skis. Took off the cable binding and put on some Solomons. Refinished the tops and checked the loose edge screws. Used Grandpa's leather lace up boots. I'm still mad at my Mom for never taking me snow skiing (she was a good racer in her day) and making me scrounge my equipment for the high school learn to ski trips.
My next skis were Miller softs. Maybe that's why I hate groomers.
Learned to race on Head HRPs. Wasn't a good racer.
Broke my leg on Nordica Red Racer boots. Boot top fracture - all the boot's fault. I'm still prejudiced against Nordica products.
First WOW ski, K2 Three. Magic performance. I bought all the used and orphan skis I could find and was able to enjoy them for a few years. The last pair blew off my ski rack when someone started to steal them from a pit stop parking space and unclipped them but quit. Sad day.
First WOW boot, Raichle Red Rear Entry boots. Comfortable, adjustable and excellent flex characteristics.
First tuning tool, my waterski building belt sander. Salvaged many snow skis with it.
Backcountry? That's what passes and credit cards are for.

Eric

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Top Three Skiing Firsts

Never traveled much from Philly in my youth. A college friend invited my to ski at Stratton. The ride up was phenomenal, full moon following a snowstorm. I was amazed just looking at the mountains, Toto, we are not in the Pocono's any more. Stratton was huge!

First western trip to Aspen. The bus ride from Denver was 14 hours due to snow. Next day was bluebird and riding up the old single chair on Ajax, looking at the Maroon Bells, blew my mind. To this day, it never gets old looking at the Rockies.

First great ski....Rossi ROC 550 the marriage of a developing skier and fine ski.

Hell, I throw in a fourth...
Attending my first Gathering in Summit County, met a whole bunch of great people that I will have the privilege to ski with again next week in Aspen.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
  • Real ski = Rossi 3G first generation grey and black)
  • Real boot = Lange XLR
  • Race ski = same rossis
  • Powder Ski = Atomic Powder Plus (last year)
  • Quiver = I always considered atleast 1 alpine and 1 nordic ski a quiver
  • Helmet = UVEX DH helmet from the early 80's, only used for motorcycle riding. first "skiing" helemt POC Synapsis
  • Piece of real tuning gear = some files from my Dads tuning kit
  • BC set up = Tua Telesauvage and Asolo Extreme pro II
  • other first shape ski = Dynastar Legend 8000 first generation

Sponsor

Staff online