• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ESPN's Real Mountain Poll

• Jackson Hole Mountain Resort

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Mammoth Mountain Ski Area

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Snowbird

• Revelstoke Mountain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whistler Blackcomb

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows

• Aspen Snowmass

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty good videos of each place (after you sit through the ad at the start)... a lot of send-age in those! And I liked that Squaw worked in the shot of someone high-fiving people on the lift when the snow got so high last season.

I don't know how you choose... for me, it would be Aspen of the places I've been. Of course, I've only been to 4 of the 7... though I'll add Snowbird this season.

Interesting that they are all Mountain Collective resorts (probably since Aspen is the X-Games host) except for Whistler, which used to be. I wonder why they let it stay in?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Le Grand Montets? (Or all of Chamonix?)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't tell from videos. I guess I'll just have to ski 'em all and draw my own conclusion. I have skied all of the U.S. resorts listed and neither of the Canadian ones. Of the hills I have skied, my personal favorite terrain-wise is not on this list. Alta! I just really enjoy exploring the place.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only one I haven't skied is Relestock but I bet it is damn good. Honestly, I would be happy skiing any one of the areas...for the rest of my skiing days.

Poll added here too.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't know how to decide but great videos worth watching.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Visual samples of big mountain skiing/terrain. Big lines, steep and big vert.

screen-shot-2014-12-11-at-4-05-03-pm.jpg adventure-journal-artesonraju.jpg big-mountain-heli-skiing.jpg

:cool::cool::cool:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
None of the above. La Grave, Chamonix or Verbier. Even Courchevel, home of Russian oligarches and their erm large number of nieces has a bunch of burly peaks and couloirz.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I vote for all of the above. One is simply not enough and there are way too many variables.

The only fair way to decide this is for ESPN to send us all on one week consecutive stays at each of these resort. Obviously there will be a lot of disagreement due to snow conditions and the like after the first round so follow-up trips.

Now ESPN only needs to decide if they are sending us in mass or in rotation. Thank you ESPN.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I vote for all of the above. One is simply not enough and there are way too many variables.

The only fair way to decide this is for ESPN to send us all on one week consecutive stays at each of these resort. Obviously there will be a lot of disagreement due to snow conditions and the like after the first round so follow-up trips.

Now ESPN only needs to decide if they are sending us in mass or in rotation. Thank you ESPN.

That is a fantastic analysis...

you-sir-are-a-gentleman-and-a-scholar.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I chose JHMR only because I've not skied W/B, the only 2 on the list that I view as big mountain. I shall watch video now to see if my perspective is skewed. I did overlook Revy, don't know enough about it...

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I've skied 5 of 8 (did Squaw and Alpine back when they were still single, so counting them as such!) but not enough to feel able to make informed rankings.
All I can say is I enjoy every day out on my skis to the fullest, no matter which resort.
Looking forward to taking Snowbird off my yet to be skied list during the Gathering.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Interesting that they are all Mountain Collective resorts (probably since Aspen is the X-Games host) except for Whistler, which used to be. I wonder why they let it stay in?
That explains why Big Sky is not on the list, which is my favorite (along with WB). For North America, that is.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
This is ESPN, right? So no doubt Mount Southington.

Sponsor