• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You don’t see this every day.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
F204F807-3A7F-4353-A3C6-41432E0E32B2.jpeg
Ever seen a chain fail like that?

scott43

Skier
Yeah my sram chain with cutouts failed in a similar manner. I like to blame my thighs of unlimited power but it's more likely poor shifting under load....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What did you do!!! :eek:

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It's the kid's chain. I was just impressed that she broke two links, and I really never do see them break like that. Probably because I use Shimano chains!

scott43

Skier
If you think about it, if you're in the granny and grinding, and you crank when the chain is between cogs, that's a lot of side load on the chain. They're so narrow now and the pin and plate are swaged now so there isn't a lot of extra material there. I think the pin kinda rips the plate apart with the side load..then you're pushing on half a plate now..and it's just a matter of time until it obliterates itself.

I switched to a Shimano chain... ;)

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Usually it's one bent side plate popped off of the pin, never seen the pin rip the end of the plate off.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
It's the kid's chain. I was just impressed that she broke two links, and I really never do see them break like that. Probably because I use Shimano chains!

It’s an interesting break, but your girls quite the rider from what you've mentioned. I haven’t run a SRAM chain in years, KMC user here.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Impressive.

I remember a day when any long group mtb ride of 8 people would result in a broken chain.

OK, maybe every other ride.

Things have improved a bunch in the mtb world over the last 30 years, to say the least!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I snapped a chain while bombing a hill on a bile that only had coaster brakes once.. The road at the bottom of the hill ended to a T of a busy highway too.. Wrenched my shoes stopping the bike so I didn't shoot out in to the cross traffic..

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ummm he was on coaster brakes......

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
This isn't Ghost we are talking about here, he would have made the turn. The rest of us would have needed to slow down for it.

Sponsor

Staff online