• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. It is not as exciting as it seems. Just lots of skiing. Interrupted by some ski tuning. Hardly worth a TV series.
Don't under estimate what people will watch on TV. Lots of skiing and ski tuning is better than the Kardashian show I once watched that actually had that tribe skiing at Big Sky.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're cutting out all the middle men and looking at planes......

Anything less than a Gulfstream simply won't do.

I love, love, love my ski days, but I also enjoy my snowshoe days, my hiking days, my kayaking, climbing, biking days too.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting. Do you pick the two weeks at Kton each month at the start of the season so you can rent out the other two weeks or do you make decisions on a month to month basis?

What do you do with the snow piling up at your place back on the Island? Do you have someone to remove it for you? That's something I think about and how it could possibly complicate things.

To answer your questions. First I am in the Killington Resorts program. They send out a calendar twice a year and you circle the days you would like to use your unit. You can make changes, and will get them unless all the units in your category are booked and they can't just make a simple switch. The peak times are holidays and weekends from mid-December through March. I make my unit available for the holidays and all but one weekend each month. My typical "two week" stay is arriving on a Sunday and staying until Friday of the following week, thus using only one weekend. Still gives me the two mid-week periods which is what I am interested in. Depending on the rules where you own, you have the options of various management companies to going it on your own via AirBnB or VRBO.

As to the second, I own a townhouse on Long Island and the HOA takes care of plowing and shoveling. You could certainly just arrange for a local contractor to plow anytime you are away and the snow is over some amount. Or arrange to have the kid next door do it.

To answer a few things you didn't ask. I bought at Killington when I was still working full-time. Killington was as far north as I was willing to drive on a weekend. Condo prices were more reasonable than at some of the areas farther south even with the longer ski season at Killington and the far superior terrain (IMO). I am happy with that decision and haven't seriously considered selling and buying at Sugarbush or Stowe, the only other areas I would consider. One plus to Killington that I have come to appreciate is the proximity to Rutland with shopping, farmer's market, live entertainment at the Paramount Theatre, free concerts in the summer, etc.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To answer a few things you didn't ask. I bought at Killington when I was still working full-time. Killington was as far north as I was willing to drive on a weekend. Condo prices were more reasonable than at some of the areas farther south even with the longer ski season at Killington and the far superior terrain (IMO). I am happy with that decision and haven't seriously considered selling and buying at Sugarbush or Stowe, the only other areas I would consider. One plus to Killington that I have come to appreciate is the proximity to Rutland with shopping, farmer's market, live entertainment at the Paramount Theatre, free concerts in the summer, etc.
I could have written this for you! Except I haven't retired yet, and didn't put my condo (Highridge) in the rental program. I assume from your screen name you're at Pinnacle. We drive 7 hr from the PA/DE border, which is the limit for my wife, so didn't consider anywhere north of Killington. So we don't come up for just weekends, usually longish 3-4 day weekends. The plan to do extended weeks in Feb. and March got interrupted by my injury, but I did get 12 consecutive days over Christmas and New Year's. The wife had to take the Amtrak back home for her regular end-of-year nightmare at the trust company where she works, but was able to enjoy the two extended weekends that sandwiched that week. The train station is another nice perk for Rutland...

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
@PinnacleJim thanks so much for the replies. What you're doing is very similar to what I envision if we are still skiing and living on Long Island. Would also like to move into a townhouse to keep maintenance down.

I guess when you're working it gets a little tougher to rent the unit consistently if you are mainly skiing weekends.

And yes I agree, Kton is about the furthest I can do for a wknd trip. Anything further north and it is really hard to cram into a wknd.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I apologize if my post came across as insincere. Love the great balance of civil discussions that happen here on Pugski. Diverse viewpoints like those on here that make their home in a warm state like Florida yet are dedicated winter fans. Highly suspect that there many on this board that share Posaune's need for music or Bill Talbot's variety of interests to add more balance then just skiing everyday. KBAT117 is our voice of youth with an entire lifetime of skiing to look forward to. Jack skis pulled off 30 years of serious skiing before hitting a bump. Mountain Monster follows his own healing plan that includes lots of ski days. Yes I have gotten some great feedback so far.

Skiing the Wasatch and New Zealand as you location indicates seems pretty cool. Have only had one chance to ski Utah and hope to make a return visit someday.

It did not strike me as insincere - I'm with you!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I didn't think it insincere, either. Since basically I did the same thing fifteen years back.

But, I have to say, I've seen over that period that there is only one "top vert" guy who is still at it. If I look back, a good portion of the "vert kings" are barely skiing now. It's not that they decided to spend their subsequent seasons off piste (which is what you'd expect), but as time passed (some tried for and achieved repeats) they really stopped skiing more than a token number of days. Now this was a record breaking snow season, so some are skiing off piste who were high on the list but not winners. But the top guys either got injured or got derailed. So, don't overdo it.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've avoided this thread until now. But here's my take: I had a chance to do this in a limited way this winter. Took an 8-week ski tour out west on my own, visiting 14 different areas. I could have skied every day I didn't travel. But what I found out was that no, I couldn't -- and didn't want to -- ski every day. As a background, I'll say that when I skied, I skied fairly hard. Average was about 25K vert/day -- some more, some less -- often off-piste. But, at 62 with some history on my body, my knees and other parts just couldn't sustain it. I needed time for rest and rejuvenation. So I came to feel like I just couldn't ski everyday b/c my body would break down. Secondly, skiing too much limited other things I wanted to do. Even though I was on a ski excursion, I wanted to be able to sleep in, do errands, visit with my daughter, etc. And finally, I came to feel like Phil: too much of a good thing reduces the specialness. I wanted my skiing to feel like a gift -- not a job. So finally, I conclude that, even given the opportunity, I couldn't ski every day.
Just my $0.02.