• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yet to be done, 2016 edition

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
well whats your excuse for not skiing this wednesday in what is going to be 4-8 inches of sleet at Stowe? Heck the woods are even covered enough to ski right now, and 8 inches of sleet will ski bottomless.
Well I did get out yesterday at Wildcat , my home Mt, with fresh snow, great on top , bottom 1/3 tough wet that was freezing up latter in day. wish they still had the upper Mt. lift.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Brad J , no you don't. Wasn't the upper lift the one the chairs started falling off or was that the Lynx chair?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Brad J , no you don't. Wasn't the upper lift the one the chairs started falling off or was that the Lynx chair?
I believe that was the lynx chair , the Tomcat replaced that and the quad was installed on the line that the upper lift was on , so I wish they move the upper lift on gondiline. and all would be good.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing in torrental rain? Check.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
  • Spring Break trip w son and fiancee' to WP and Copper. Practice more on bumps.
  • April trip w friend from work and our ladies to Breck.
  • buy front side skis during end-of-season sales.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe that was the lynx chair , the Tomcat replaced that and the quad was installed on the line that the upper lift was on , so I wish they move the upper lift on gondiline. and all would be good.

Do I remember rightly that the upper chair was one of those Riblet doubles with the pole in the center? Dipping back into the seventies here.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do I remember rightly that the upper chair was one of those Riblet doubles with the pole in the center? Dipping back into the seventies here.
Yes, you are correct and that one was replaced and shortened by 100 yards or so I guess in the early 80's

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I still have two days left on my Aspen Classic Pass and four days left at Steamboat.
It would be great to spend them on the snow, before the lifts shut down!
Four weeks left, before Black Sunday.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've yet to ski my new DPS 112-s in powder. Looks like I'm about to get my chance.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After some complex math, I realize this is my 29th skiing season and this may be the first one where I did not get one day in NY state.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd like to get my daughter out a couple more hours on the mountain, hopefully this weekend. She's gotten comfortable skiing greens and easier blues well. But, she's still a little afraid of the lifts, staying over at the magic carpets when skiing solo. She'll get on a lift with people she knows but won't ride solo or with a stranger. A few more hours of practice and she will be fine off on her own and with friends. She'll certainly ditch me and avoid me until she's in college once she gets past the anxiety about the lifts.
Mission accomplished! I also took another crack at skiing the retro split tail skis and succeeded at that while watching my son move from wedging to parallel in spring hero snow.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are going to be a lot of yet to be dones in this pathetic excuse for a ski season. Starting, probably, with any spring skiing worthy of the name. You can't have slush bumps without bumps. And you can't have bumps without actual snow. Temps in the fifties and sunny at Mt Abram Saturday, but very little corn and no bumps. The base was simply too thin and too compacted. (The skiers were thin on the ground, too.) Now they're closed. Saddleback never opened. Bad.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The past two summers, we've driven through Steamboat for a visit with friends, with the promise that we'll return in the winter, because I haven't skied Steamboat.
Still haven't skied The Boat.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
MrsCrgildart sometimes mentions she'd like to go see Yellowstone on a future vacation. I usually point out it would be fun to go in the spring when Jackson Hole is also still open. Idea is to take a week off, fly out there, and rent an RV. Last night at dinner it came up and the kids said how about spring break? Just for kicks, I went and did some research to see how much it would actually cost to do that.. not including burning a week of PTO..
Airfare for 4 to Idaho Falls or Jackson or.. all those options in that area, about a grand per person (4 people).. RV rental about 200/day.. everything else...Ya, that's why.

Grand Canyon, where I have a cousin in Flagstaff with a Huge empty nest house, airfare is way cheaper. Southwest to SLC or Denver is way cheaper. Just costs too much more to go there than so many other similar places.. Never say "never" but not likely this year hahahaha..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
MrsCrgildart sometimes mentions she'd like to go see Yellowstone on a future vacation. I usually point out it would be fun to go in the spring when Jackson Hole is also still open. Idea is to take a week off, fly out there, and rent an RV. Last night at dinner it came up and the kids said how about spring break? Just for kicks, I went and did some research to see how much it would actually cost to do that.. not including burning a week of PTO..
Airfare for 4 to Idaho Falls or Jackson or.. all those options in that area, about a grand per person (4 people).. RV rental about 200/day.. everything else...Ya, that's why.

Grand Canyon, where I have a cousin in Flagstaff with a Huge empty nest house, airfare is way cheaper. Southwest to SLC or Denver is way cheaper. Just costs too much more to go there than so many other similar places.. Never say "never" but not likely this year hahahaha..
Flying in to SLC and taking an RV could be an option. SLC isn't that far away from JH. Isn't that what a road trip is for, traveling the road?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Flying in to SLC and taking an RV could be an option. SLC isn't that far away from JH. Isn't that what a road trip is for, traveling the road?
:thumb:

Flights to SLC from RDU are closer to $300 round trip. RV rentals on SLC are probably more competitive as well. Looks like this will probably happen spring or summer of 2017 if we are still gainfully employed at that time.
As Warren says, "you'll be at least one year older when you do". But I am fairly certain this is doable at $1200 air instead of $4,000 air costs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:thumb:

Flights to SLC from RDU are closer to $300 round trip. RV rentals on SLC are probably more competitive as well. Looks like this will probably happen spring or summer of 2017 if we are still gainfully employed at that time.
As Warren says, "you'll be at least one year older when you do". But I am fairly certain this is doable at $1200 air instead of $4,000 air costs.
A few years ago, the Grumps stayed in SLC for a winter and took several trips to JH. Some were day trips and some were over-nighters. SLC is also 8 hrs from Tahoe and 5 hrs from Sun Valley, Idaho.
Lots of travel options from SLC.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I've only done one RV trip. RV rental was either $8 or $12 per day. It was with CruiseAmerica. In the Spring, they wanted people to relocate their RVs from the refurb center to the rental centers, so they offered cheap one-way deals. In the Fall, they want them moved TO the refurb centers. We picked up the RV in Vegas, went to Zion, Grand Canyon, etc, and turned it in in Phoenix.

Sponsor

Staff online