• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Yet Another "What ski should I get my kid" Thread

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Greetings all of you Pugskiers and gear lovers. As the title of the thread says it is time to get my 15 year old son some new gear. He is 5'8" tall, 125 pounds, distance runner so he is skinny and fit. He may put on another couple of inches in height over the next year or two, but not much more. While he will fill out and gain a little weight he is likely to stay skinny because of his running and he is built like my wife, not me. He skis mostly in Oregon but we have a trip to Utah planned for spring break. He is not a park rat, skis all mountain and his form is really rounding into shape. He will take a few jumps and has now found a love for powder, like his old man! He is currently on a skinny junior ski that is too small for him so I would like to bump him up to something in the mid 80s range that would be more appropriate for where we ski. Since he is still a kid I am a little price sensitive, but not overly. The good people at @SkiEssentials have recommended an Atomic Vantage 85 in a 165 for a very good price. I may also pick up the Atomic HAWX 80 flex boot for him. While the package looks to be nice I thought I would solicit other suggestions before pulling the trigger on this deal.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

John

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Greetings all of you Pugskiers and gear lovers. As the title of the thread says it is time to get my 15 year old son some new gear. He is 5'8" tall, 125 pounds, distance runner so he is skinny and fit. He may put on another couple of inches in height over the next year or two, but not much more. While he will fill out and gain a little weight he is likely to stay skinny because of his running and he is built like my wife, not me. He skis mostly in Oregon but we have a trip to Utah planned for spring break. He is not a park rat, skis all mountain and his form is really rounding into shape. He will take a few jumps and has now found a love for powder, like his old man! He is currently on a skinny junior ski that is too small for him so I would like to bump him up to something in the mid 80s range that would be more appropriate for where we ski. Since he is still a kid I am a little price sensitive, but not overly. The good people at @SkiEssentials have recommended an Atomic Vantage 85 in a 165 for a very good price. I may also pick up the Atomic HAWX 80 flex boot for him. While the package looks to be nice I thought I would solicit other suggestions before pulling the trigger on this deal.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

John

Earlier this season I bought the Vantage 95 in a mid-160 size for my 16 year old daugher who is just a bit taller and same weight, good skier and very athletic. She spends as much time as possible in the trees so the 95 width has been perfect for her. So far she's been really happy with this ski.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Vantage 85 or 95 as well as K2 Pinnacle 88 or 95 would be good choices. If your bootfitter recommended a Hawx 80 then that's fine too. OTH I've seldom seen a fit 125# runner with a foot wide enough to use a 102mm boot and that's what the Hawx 80 is. You might re-check with your bootfitter about that choice.

SJ

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Vantage 85 or 95 as well as K2 Pinnacle 88 or 95 would be good choices. If your bootfitter recommended a Hawx 80 then that's fine too. OTH I've seldom seen a fit 125# runner with a foot wide enough to use a 102mm boot and that's what the Hawx 80 is. You might re-check with your bootfitter about that choice.

SJ

The Hawx we're looking at is certainly 100 mm last.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Well, Atomic (16-17) does not list an 80 flex Hawx boot in 100 mm so I'm assuming the OP was incorrect in his question. However, since the bootfitter has examined the foot and the boot and made a professional recommendation, all is good.

SJ

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Well, Atomic (16-17) does not list an 80 flex Hawx boot in 100 mm so I'm assuming the OP was incorrect in his question. However, since the bootfitter has examined the foot and the boot and made a professional recommendation, all is good.

SJ

It's a past season model. Thanks @Sierrajim hope you're enjoying all that Sierra snow this season!! Our perception of Truckee is that it's just completely buried in snow. I lived in Mammoth during the 05/06 season and seeing all the pictures of snow this season brings back lots of memories.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
It's a past season model. Thanks @Sierrajim hope you're enjoying all that Sierra snow this season!! Our perception of Truckee is that it's just completely buried in snow. I lived in Mammoth during the 05/06 season and seeing all the pictures of snow this season brings back lots of memories.

Awesome.........thanks for the clarification. Naturally my concern was that the OP was purchasing a boot without the hands on/eyes on advice from a pro.

Yes.......we are buried. Simple as that. Went out for a quick test of the Kastle 105's today and overnight snow was reported at 26" but it was way more than that in spots. Great test but I'm glad I didn't have to drive at all today or drive much yesterday. I've lived here for 35 years (except for my sojourn in Stowe) and honestly can't remember this much fall interspersed with the heavy rain. If all that rain had been snow...................geeze!!!!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ ..... any quick thoughts on the BMX105 in the deep ? ( were you on HP or non-HP )