• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

(Yet Another) Waxing Question

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, I had my skis fully tuned last week. Have skied three days of colder snow, including today with new and very cold snow, which I understand to be very aggressive at stripping wax. I need to re-wax and I'm wondering if I should just apply over the old wax that came with the tune or should I brush out the old and then re-apply? Since the skis received a stone grind should I put some layers of base prep or softer wax down before the temp-specific final layer?

Thanks for any answers. You folks are always so helpful and it is very much appreciated!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a rec skier and not a racer. Apply your choice of wax over existing. Hot scrape new on several (2-3) times, and then cold scrape the new after it sets.

The often missing part of the equation is the edges. Take care of your edges. Smooth out the burrs and keep the edges sharp.

I'm sure others will fill things in.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Always scrape and brush before rewaxing.
Sometimes you get off more wax than you would think.
I'd put a few wax/scrape cycles with base prep before I put on layer of cold weather wax.
Not sure how cold you are talking so I can't say anything about wax.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The more you waxing cycles you go through the better the overall wax lasts and works. I only tend give a quick brush to clean because if you waxed properly your base should be ready for the next wax job.

BTW touch up tune first, clean, then wax and brush.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Ok, I had my skis fully tuned last week. Have skied three days of colder snow, including today with new and very cold snow, which I understand to be very aggressive at stripping wax. I need to re-wax and I'm wondering if I should just apply over the old wax that came with the tune or should I brush out the old and then re-apply? Since the skis received a stone grind should I put some layers of base prep or softer wax down before the temp-specific final layer?

Thanks for any answers. You folks are always so helpful and it is very much appreciated!

Yea, as said, always at least brush out the base really good with a brass or steel brush BEFORE you wax every time!
From time to time, and always in dirty melting snows, use a glide wax cleaner such as Swix Glide Wax Cleaner.
The last step for using that is brush as above.
If you have time, a soft wax is always good to apply before any hard wax.
Wax away and good gliding to you.

TS
Shawn C.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you, Jacques and everyone else!

I did pick up the Swix Glide Wax Cleaner for the new set of boards I have. It arrived today along with some other supplies from ARTECH (they had a good cyber Monday sale).

I put nine coats of soft wax on my powder skis a couple of weeks ago. My wife looked at me as if I was insane. :D

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hand waxed over a belt wax job once and it was the fastest skis I can remember having. Something about that mix was great.

Sponsor