• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @FairToMiddlin at this point I will try almost anything. Even codeine will not stop it. It is improving but at a glacial pace. Last night was the first night I had more than three hours of sleep in 16 days. Maybe it is that RSV thing. It is all over the country. Stay healthy out there Pugsters! I will report back on the Oregano oil experiment.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Free advice so accept it for what it is worth.

7 years ago came up with the never ending cough. Doctor put me on some antibiotics and it went away for about 6 weeks and it was back.

Another Doctor in another state took care of it with the most logical way, (He uses the same technique with his own family) His explanation is mucus running down your throat from allergies, irritation, whatever. Mucus hits your stomach and causes indigestion or mild heartburn. His cure; nasal spray for the mucus once or twice a day, and an anti-heartburn pill for the digestive end. All over the counter stuff.

Has worked for me several times in the past years and seems to kick the cough in about 5 days.

TS
FairToMiddlin

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester

7 years ago came up with the never ending cough. Doctor put me on some antibiotics and it went away for about 6 weeks and it was back.

Another Doctor in another state took care of it with the most logical way, (He uses the same technique with his own family) His explanation is mucus running down your throat from allergies, irritation, whatever. Mucus hits your stomach and causes indigestion or mild heartburn. His cure; nasal spray for the mucus once or twice a day, and an anti-heartburn pill for the digestive end. All over the counter stuff.

Has worked for me several times in the past years and seems to kick the cough in about 5 days.

This, although it didn’t work for me. I’m a generally stuffy person, sinus-wise; I have a crap sense of smell, and have chronic post nasal drip. A couple of years ago, an allergy doc suggested the same fix you received: dry out the shnozz with spray so the (post) nasal can’t drip no more, then calm the tummy. Here (in high n’ dry CO), all I got for my trouble was dried out nose membranes that led to irritating nose bleeds, and the cough continuing, business as usual. I can see it working in a more humid state, though, and it’s definitely worth trying.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I came down with what I thought was the flu just before the Christmas holidays. The actual flu-like symptoms went away after about 10 days. But the cough just won't go away. The 'doc said it probably was the RSV virus and a common after affect is a nagging cough that can last for several (!!!) weeks. Apparently RSV is a big problem this winter in the PNW, along with flu type B.

So... I'm going to give the oregano 'tabs a try.

Exactly the issues I have had since early November.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Why would mucus cause indigestion/heartburn??

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun fact: The name Oregano is derived from the Ancient Greek terms “oros” and “ganos.” Together, they mean “joy of the mountains.”

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For that matter, if indigestion/heartburn truly are causing the cough, then you're really talking about serious refluxing/GIRD and should have that looked at as soon as possible.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From November to April, I kept Halls cough drop stock on the rise,
FWIW, I think there is still a bag of Halls in a drawer at Chez Ziggy.
Thanks for starting this thread. I tend to carry Ricola Naturals in my pocket year round because of a horrible dry throat issue I get from allergies. Your tip may help with that.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered from Amazon but for the oil instead of the pills. Yuck! But it may be helping clear some gunk out. I put a couple of drops in the steam bath and it felt great. Burns going down though even diluted.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My problem with taking oregano so far is that every time I open the bottle I want pizza. :huh:
Cute.

My problem with it was in getting the oil instead of the pills. After taking it for four days, it burned a hole in my stomach. That stuff was hotter than jalapenos.

That said, I'm not coughing anymore! Thanks @FairToMiddlin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I broke down and bought some oregano capsules.
Question for those of you who've been taking this for a while -
Do you find yourself burping oregano?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For that matter, if indigestion/heartburn truly are causing the cough, then you're really talking about serious refluxing/GIRD and should have that looked at as soon as possible.
I had a chronic cough most of last year. I think the root cause was newly-developed allergies. But what can happen is the pressure from coughing can cause some reflux that you would not otherwise have. And the reflux irritates your throat and triggers a coughing reflex. You need to break the feedback loop.

My fix was loratadine (generic claritan equivalent), flonase nasal spray, and prescription antacids for a month. (I saw general practitioner, allergist, and ear-nose-throat doctors). Long term I'm only taking the loratadine.

The cough came back, just a little bit, about a month ago. :nono:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a chronic cough most of last year. I think the root cause was newly-developed allergies. But what can happen is the pressure from coughing can cause some reflux that you would not otherwise have. And the reflux irritates your throat and triggers a coughing reflex. You need to break the feedback loop.

My fix was loratadine (generic claritan equivalent), flonase nasal spray, and prescription antacids for a month. (I saw general practitioner, allergist, and ear-nose-throat doctors). Long term I'm only taking the loratadine.

The cough came back, just a little bit, about a month ago. :nono:

Makes sense on paper, but .......
I've had chronic serious GIRD for decades requiring daily PPIs and antacids, and allergies considerably longer and this is the first winter I've had this "cough that won't die". I'm very sensitive to even a little bit of refluxing, and can't ever recall even some of the 2-3 minute coughing spasms resulting in any noticeable reflux.